I Got A Letter To Appear For Jury Duty

Pennyfinder

Elite Member
I ain't gonna do it! I have sciatica nerve pain and bulging discs and I can't sit for long periods or concentrate when I'm in pain. That's part of the reason I don't detect much in the summer.

I have contacted my doctor to write me a statement stating the above as such so I can turn it in and get off their list.

I know the only reason I got the stupid letter is because I voted last month and just renewed my driver's license -- I'm fresh in their minds! Well, they will see they ain't getting me!

Besides they don't pay you enough to make it worthwhile! :mad:

Hey with what you got going on and all, and limited transportation too.

I’ve gone to Jury selection a few times, maybe 4, and served once for a week or so. Civic duty, but didn’t have medical conditions and all, so that’s what the doctors notes are for. I did have to borrow a car as mine had a blown head gasket, plus two young kids, and deal with snow and freeway closures but hey, was younger then.

Hope you can get out for some hunts and find another Peace $!

Take care.

Hey with what you got going on and all, and limited transportation too.

I’ve gone to Jury selection a few times, maybe 4, and served once for a week or so. Civic duty, but didn’t have medical conditions and all, so that’s what the doctors notes are for. I did have to borrow a car as mine had a blown head gasket, plus two young kids, and deal with snow and freeway closures but hey, was younger then.

Hope you can get out for some hunts and find another Peace $!

Take care.

Thanks. Still no word from the doctor's office. Think I'll go as soon as they open and sit in the waiting until I get the letter!

I've only been called once. A couple of cases had jurors picked (I didn't get picked) and then the rest of us were told all cases were settled or defendants entered a plea bargain, and we could go home early. One of the poor guys who was picked had been out of town and got home to discover he had to appear THAT DAY. His bad luck was compounded by the fact that he got picked for one of the trials that day.

If I got picked now, I would get a doctor's excuse about impaired memory (mini stroke 2 years ago).

-- Tom

I've gotten that letter just about every 18mo almost like clockwork for the last 10yrs, and have yet to get selected.

The paper said my term of service was for 6 months and I was to call the number listed every day after 4:30 pm to see if I was needed! I'm not tying up my life for 6 months. You can't make any plans. And I would only get $10/day when I went in. And they would pay a measly 10 cents a mile one way. Really! I would get a whopping 35 cents! I use more than that STARTING my truck! I AIN'T DOING IT. Still waiting on the statement from the doctor! :mad:

Whatever happens, make sure the judge or clerk actually dismisses you from service. If a mistake is made and they don't, things can go south.

I've been asked to show up 3 times and I'm still pretty young! Once was for a county I no longer lived in so I got out of that, the other 2 were for the county I did live in and I had to go in. First of those 2 times I didn't make it out of the waiting room before they dismissed me. Second time, I made it into the actual court room and heard what the case was about, but didn't get selected. It was actually pretty interesting watching other jurors try and get out of doing it. One lady in particular basically made herself look like a judgmental hater so that the defense attorney would kick her out. I wasn't selected due to being a criminal justice major (at least that's what I believe). I guess the defense attorney thought I knew too much??? IDK

The Saga Continues -- I'm Not Home Free Yet!

My doctor here has ALL my records from the VA from 1999 to the present. Yet she says (according to the nurse I talked to) "she has nothing in my records stating I have sciatic nerve pain caused by bulging discs (2 of them) and WON'T give me a statement."

Okay I went to battle -- I called the VA office where I go for treatment. Ha Ha my PCP has been on maternity leave and just came back! She is so far behind that the person I spoke to on the phone said she would GIVE the doctor my information and have her get back with me. I said I only have until Friday to get a statement otherwise I will have to appear in court on Monday! She couldn't guarantee anything soooooooooooooooooooooooo . . . . . I hung up. I ain't waiting on her.

I called the main VA in Nashville and spoke to a person in RECORDS. After giving my life history -- Name, Address, Phone, Mother's Maiden Name, Blood Type, SS#, etc. etc. etc. she finally accepted I was who I said I was. Then she said I cannot approve any requests for records by phone. You must come in! Not an option. No time.

So I finally, after telling her everything that was going on about my doctor here claiming not to have anything in my record about my back -- even though she has EVERY RECORD from the VA about me since 1999, she agreed to give me the NAME of the chiropractor I went to (that the VA paid for 3 and half years ago).

I called his office and the secretary remembered me and pulled up my records and said she would FAX everything to the doctor here! Yea! Mission accomplished in that respect. There is a hitch though -- she's out of the office tomorrow. So even if she gets the information today she won't see it until THURSDAY! Great! Okay I'll wait IMPATIENTLY! The ball is in her "court" no pun intended. Gradually making progress.

But guess what -- I found out my back's in worse shape than I thought. Yeah I do have bulging discs (2) which causes the sciatic nerve pain. But I also have 2 spurs --- L3 and L4, scoliosis, and degenerative bone disease in the spine (basically collapsing) which is the cause for the bulging discs! :shock: It is a wonder I am still up right and can still metal detect! :p:shock:

I'll keep you posted!

My doctor here has ALL my records from the VA from 1999 to the present. Yet she says (according to the nurse I talked to) "she has nothing in my records stating I have sciatic nerve pain caused by bulging discs (2 of them) and WON'T give me a statement."

Okay I went to battle -- I called the VA office where I go for treatment. Ha Ha my PCP has been on maternity leave and just came back! She is so far behind that the person I spoke to on the phone said she would GIVE the doctor my information and have her get back with me. I said I only have until Friday to get a statement otherwise I will have to appear in court on Monday! She couldn't guarantee anything soooooooooooooooooooooooo . . . . . I hung up. I ain't waiting on her.

I called the main VA in Nashville and spoke to a person in RECORDS. After giving my life history -- Name, Address, Phone, Mother's Maiden Name, Blood Type, SS#, etc. etc. etc. she finally accepted I was who I said I was. Then she said I cannot approve any requests for records by phone. You must come in! Not an option. No time.

So I finally, after telling her everything that was going on about my doctor here claiming not to have anything in my record about my back -- even though she has EVERY RECORD from the VA about me since 1999, she agreed to give me the NAME of the chiropractor I went to (that the VA paid for 3 and half years ago).

I called his office and the secretary remembered me and pulled up my records and said she would FAX everything to the doctor here! Yea! Mission accomplished in that respect. There is a hitch though -- she's out of the office tomorrow. So even if she gets the information today she won't see it until THURSDAY! Great! Okay I'll wait IMPATIENTLY! The ball is in her "court" no pun intended. Gradually making progress.

But guess what -- I found out my back's in worse shape than I thought. Yeah I do have bulging discs (2) which causes the sciatic nerve pain. But I also have 2 spurs --- L3 and L4, scoliosis, and degenerative bone disease in the spine (basically collapsing) which is the cause for the bulging discs! :shock: It is a wonder I am still up right and can still metal detect! :p:shock:

I'll keep you posted!

I have had breathing problems ever since I got out of the hospital in Vietnam. The VA said that it never happened so they won't do anything. i finally got a copy of my health records and the time that I spent in the hospital as well as the non-combat profile that I was given has been removed from the records. I talked to a nurse who worked at the local Air Force base and she said she saw an officer going through files removing all service related injuries.

I have been throwing those letters away for years. They don't have the time or manpower to hunt you down, I am a good citizen and I have served in the past, they generally have 3 times the amount of people needed anyways they won't miss me, and if they do catch up to me for some reason they have to prove I got the letter, which I will deny all day long.

Thanks! Latest Update!

Right now I have nothing good (censored) to say about the VA! The IDIOTS called me today and said that the doctor APPROVED the paperwork to send me a statement but guess what she just got back off maternity leave and is so far behind that I was told it might take up to TWO WEEKS to get the paper I need. I NEED IT MONDAY!

So I gotta show up! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: Otherwise I go to :jail:

Gee thanks VA! I HATE THEM!

I have been throwing those letters away for years. They don't have the time or manpower to hunt you down, I am a good citizen and I have served in the past, they generally have 3 times the amount of people needed anyways they won't miss me, and if they do catch up to me for some reason they have to prove I got the letter, which I will deny all day long.

I don't dare throw the paper away! That's automatic contempt of court! Too many people know I got it! I'd be ratted on for sure. I wish I lived in FL. A friend from FL told me today that if you are 70 or older YOU ARE AUTOMATICALLY EXEMPT FROM JURY DUTY! NOT SO IN TN!

Don't worry I think they will excuse you.

Maybe but it ain't beneficial to hold my breath on that! I'm a pessimist! If it weren't for bad luck I wouldn't have any at all! I don't trust the police or the court here!

I have been called 4 times and picked for one or two trials every time. But I am now too old to be called again.

I have been called 4 times and picked for one or two trials every time. But I am now too old to be called again.

There's no such thing here in Lawrence Co, TN that exempts you for AGE, unfortunately! I wish I was in FL where they have a permanently exempt rule if you are 70 and above. You never get called again. I'm 70 and stuck in this stupid town that doesn't do that. :mad:

I had jury duty twice before. Never got selected. The first time I crashed into a parked car in the courthouse parking, luckily for me It was right next to traffic court too.

Actually all they have to do is show that their records show that they sent it, and it's presumed delivered. That's how it works unfortunately.

I've never been called for jury duty, and I've been in the same county for 50 years...I'd like to serve actually, I think it would be interesting.

As for the original issue, if you have to show up Monday, do so and when they ask you to have a seat tell them that you can't because you're unable to sit for long periods of time due to your medical condition. Perhaps go to the doctor's office that now has your records and get copies of them to have with you.

It is over! I'm done! (The Moment You've Been Waiting For)!

It has a funny ending. I went TODAY to take the papers I had because it says to MAIL it in and I didn't. I didn't know if I would have time to go by the clerk's office BEFORE going where I had to go (on Monday). So I got up this morning and went.

Well they have it set up much like the airport (empty your pockets etc. and hand them your belongings to be placed in a basket and then walk through a metal detector). Yeah I did and set it off -- IT BUZZED! :laughing: Then I remembered, oh yeah, I have a knee replacement! And I raised my leg and said to the cop, "OH I have a knee!" He raised his leg and said, "Well, I have one too." I answered back, "Yeah, but I bet yours isn't metal!" He laughed and said, "No, no it isn't." We both laughed and got the other cop laughing as he was handing me my stuff! I laughed and asked where I was to take my paper. He pointed still laughing, "That way mam!"

I went into the office and after the clerk looked at my paper and saw the paperwork from my chiropractor from 4 yrs ago that showed the condition of my back she asked if I had a statement from my doctor. I told her one would be coming from the VA in about 2 weeks! And I made the comment something about that's the government for you that they take their sweet time but if they want something from you they want it RIGHT NOW IMMEDIATELY! (She agreed with me)

She looked at the papers again from the chiropractor AND my statement on their sheet and said she thought she had enough to go on and that I was DONE! And I asked temporarily postponed or what. And she said DONE! DONE! Forever! :clapping::cheer::excited::thumbsup:

About that time Judge Patty (the one who dismissed my ticket in court -- you might remember that one a few years ago -- http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=171385&highlight=Ticket+court ) came through the clerk's office and was leaving and saw me. She said, "Oh no, are you in trouble again!?!" And I said, "No mam, not yet!" :p Then she asked why I was there! I told her about the jury duty. And she looked at the clerk with a "knowing grin" nodding her head and said to me, "She'll take care of you." And then looked at the clerk again grinning and said, Won't cha!. The clerk nodded back, "Yes mam, already done." Then the judge gave me a big hug and smiled and said, "See, we take care of you!"

SO I'M OFF PERMANENTLY -- I DO NOT EVEN SHOW UP MONDAY!

Note: I did ask the clerk afterwards about why does Tennessee not permanently exempt anyone due to age like FL and others. Her answer was, "We don't like to discriminate against anyone and we have many senior citizens who still like to do jury duty!" Okay that answers that. :grin:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom