Discrimination Help

LanginRI

hi everyone, you guys have been really helpful to me, so thanks again. i need some tips on using discrimination. here's what seems to be happening. my x-terra 30 is set to reject ferrous targets and aluminium foil. so i'll get a target signal, and the number i get might be 32, 40, 44, which shouldn't be ferrous but when i dig it up there's and old rusted nail. is this normal? am i not reading this right? any help would be great. thanks

chris

I'm new, so what I have to say, might not be so accurate. I have a White's M6, and I've noticed that when I'm discriminating something, it still might show a signal, but the tone is different. It's a lower tone, more like junk. That probably doesn't help you, but that's what I notice on my machine.

If you are discriminating out foil then you are probably discriminating out gold jewelry items. Dig it all, steve in so az

Nails can pose a bit of a problem due to their shape as well as their almost limitless position within the ground. Due to the elongated cylindrical shape and the "eddy currents" that are formed along its length. They can "fool" some detectors as to I.D.

Nails can pose a bit of a problem due to their shape as well as their almost limitless position within the ground. Due to the elongated cylindrical shape and the "eddy currents" that are formed along its length. They can "fool" some detectors as to I.D.

I agree. Yesterday I got a nice high tone (usually coins with my md) and it turned out to be a fat, 4 inch long nail. Go figure.

I have the X70 and get the same thing. Glad to hear it is not just me, I was beginning to think I was to stupid to use the detector. I dug a small version of the Grand Canyon last week in a wet gravel drive because it was a "good" signal, and out comes a rusty nail.

Misery loves company! Keep digging, keep smiling, we are cleaning up the world one can shread and one nail at a time!

cb

Back
Top Bottom