Monday morning hunt and found the beach hunters worst nightmare

RNSpeed

I went to one of my favorite beaches to MD this morning and when I got there I was so frustrated of what I saw there. It was a disaster caused by the youth that without measuring consequences celebrates with liquor and beer and they do not worry about the environmental damage that they cause when leaving beer cans, plastics, coolers, chairs, etc.

Last weekend More than 20 universities from across Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands competed in nearly 20 sporting events at the 18th annual Puerto Rico Interuniversity League Games (known commonly in Spanish as Las Justas de la L.A.I.). The games were celebrated in the western side of Puerto Rico where the Central American and Caribbean games 2010 are going to take place next July.

One side of that is that local radio stations also make activities with famous artists from every gender attracting at the same time the youth to their activities.

So yesterday there was one of such activities at this beach and today I saw the result.

Additional I must mention that as families were arriving to enjoy the beach today, they were indignant by the amount of trash that was in the place and many by own initiative began to clean the beach. I took out many beer cans, plastic bags, etc out of the water.

So today I emailed the pictures to the local newspaper, to a local news reporter and to the person in charge of an environmental organization at the University where I work.

The local newspaper emailed me back telling me If I can give more information of what happened which of course I did, The local reporter email me back asking for the pictures and the person in charge of the environmental organization emailed me back telling me that she's going to forward the message to all members and to give support at a new law that's is under development at the senate that will ban the use of foam coolers at the beach.

Well I hope with this pictures I contribute to make people notice the damage we are doing to our environment.

Well returning to my finds today I got 11 quarters, 4 dimes, 5 nickels, 5 pennies, a heavy stainless steel necklace and 4 junk earrings.
Here are the pictures of my finds as well as the place.

Attachments

• DSC01637.JPG
    DSC01637.JPG
    135 KB · Views: 1,212
  • DSC01638.JPG
    DSC01638.JPG
    106.2 KB · Views: 1,190
  • DSC01627.JPG
    DSC01627.JPG
    143.8 KB · Views: 1,201
  • DSC01629.JPG
    DSC01629.JPG
    142.9 KB · Views: 1,219
  • DSC01630.JPG
    DSC01630.JPG
    131.4 KB · Views: 1,211
Wow, that is the trashiest beach I've ever seen! And I saw thousands of people on Surfer's Paradise Beach on New Years Eve 1999 into 2000. :shock:

Well done on the exposing of what those Yobos did there RNSpeed.
They know who they are and if it is splashed across as many news sites and newspapers the better. No matter where in the world that happen it is not good. Makes you wonder how they all live at home.

Good on ya for that and well done on the finds .
Tony

Congrats to you for bringing this to the attention of the media and the authorities. I see similar trash in Thailand but no one really cares here.

Very nice necklace too.

That was totally discusting! Who did they think was going to come pick it all up, their Momma? I agree that you did the absolute right thing and hopefully those involved will fell ashamed and NOT do that again. Nice finds, too bad some of those slobs didn't drop some gold for you. Keep up the nice work. : )

Damn! And i thought my beaches just got trashed with semana santa! Over 200,000 people on my little stretch of beach and it wasn't THAT bad!

What a shame! That just showes you how much people care about cleaning up after them selves! Well Congrats on your finds to. Hopefully they will have some people doing community service hours on that beach cause it sure does need it! :mad:

Sorry to see the beach like that but glad you got some treasure out of it.
Really I don't think the coolers should be banned , many responsible families use them and as well bottles cans etc should all be allowed.
It is the people themselves that are to blame.
Not just at the event but while the event was going on motorist on the other side of town were throwing garbage from their windows, more were extinguishing their cig. butts on the ground and on and on.
That beach is a mess because they didn't care and nothing else.
People need to be shamed into preserving their environment and those that can and care should help by picking up for those that don't.
Many times I see people walk past thrash and don't bother to pick it up and drop it in a can close by. I think they feel as if they didn't drop it so why should I.
I think if just some of us showed we cared it would make more and more others care and maybe one day our trash will be in a dump where it belongs.
Congrats on the necklace.

That is very sad.... Good move on your part with the pictures and publicizing the issue. What a shame that people would do that... The beaches in Puerto Rico are usually so nice and clean, I really enjoyed them while I lived there. Nice finds.. maybe after it is cleaned up, you will find a lot more. Had to be a lot lost in that drunken brawl. RickO

I have seen garbage dumps looking better than that beach. That's disgusting and nice going with your efforts in bringing it to the forefront.:shock:
Nice finds also.
Doc

What a horrible sight, it does look like a garbage dump after a storm.

And some of the litter bugs may well claim to be greenies....don't look like it to me.

Back
Top Bottom