back pain when scooping

bxlarry

I have not been detecting for quite a while due to lower back pain. I use a long handle scoop by Reilly. The pain comes from using the scoop and not from swinging the coil. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

All I could suggest is a carbon fiber handle and a light scoop like maybe a stealth 720 or something. What I see for myself though is that you get used to whatever you use after some time and the pains are there regardless. BUT, the above suggested set up is as light as you can get if you're using an actual wet sand/water scoop. If your just in the dry you can go much much lighter.

Other than the hardware, take care of you.. Do core strengthening and stretches. Drink plenty of water and do light work outs if you can. We think that this is a strenuous hobby and it is but its to isolated to repetitive motions and only work certain areas on us like forearms, hands, lower back, hamstrings, and feet.. If everything else isn't balanced then you'll get strains/sprains. Dare i mention Yoga? I hear it's amazing although I don't do it because I have a bad ACL, a self healed ruptured L4 and a compressed L5.

Key word that I saw when I read your post is that you've been inactive for a bit. That alone will do you in. Start slow again and keep at it. You can't just jump on where you left off. I used to hunt 10 hrs at a time. Now I'm at like 2 or 3 because I don't do it as much anymore.

CF shaft. Longer or shorter shaft. If your a water hunter turn your lead hand backwards so that your palm is facing backwards (south). Then reach down when scooping and bend your knees. Let the knees and legs do the lifting. Your 1 arm guides the scoop to wherever you want to dump it.
Lift assist is also an option but turning your lead hand backwards is more effective

I am 54 years old and as silly as this sounds I have started to do push-ups and crunches in the last couple of months and will be adding more core strengthening exercises. Strengthening your core helps alleviate your back. The #1 reason I am doing this is for metal detecting as I want to be able to enjoy this hobby late into my retirement years. :yes:

I have not been detecting for quite a while due to lower back pain. I use a long handle scoop by Reilly. The pain comes from using the scoop and not from swinging the coil. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Do you know whats causing your back pain, bulging disc etc? You might want to ask your doc if a CT scan or MRI might help pin point the problem in order to devise an appropriate solution.

The good thing is that you are noticing it...So a guy can concentrate and modify their ergonomics....Like pumping the scoop underwater before lifting it up...this allows all the fines to fall through the holes. Or taking smaller scoops on the wet sand and doing a 'scatter,kick,sweep' method of target recovery...

We have all been victims when first engaged in this Sport..trying to push a coil too fast underwater will certainly hurt a guys elbow, so a guy learns to settle down and not over force anything...

Once a guy concentrates and focuses on developing the proper body ergonomics, a guy can hunt all day and basically just feel sort of worn out evenly across his whole body and not in one place in particular! You want to feel as if you got run over by a truck with wide soft tires, and not hit in one place by the bumper or oil pan...:laughing:

Thats the secret, you gotta distribute the Daily pain evenly! Then with aspirin and a few beers to wipe the slate clean, a guy wakes up the next morning ready and raring to go again!... :laughing:

I remember my HS Football Coach used to tell us during practice for some sort of inspiration or gauge of effort, "Pain is Good for you!" Then, the first game of my Senior year, 1976, I broke my neck out on the field...Blew out my C4,5,6 into a mess of shards....

I was laying there completely paralyzed from the neck down, wondering if I was going to be able to catch my next breath...He came running over along with everybody else, and he asked me, "Do you hurt anywhere?" I said, "No" So both he and I knew at that moment this was pretty bad!:laughing:

i have been through 2 lumbar fusions, i just take more time digging with my stealth scoop also has a carbon fiber handle which helps alot take smaller bites with your scoop so its not as heavy ,also bend the knees when lifting seems to help hope you feel better

Thats the secret, you gotta distribute the Daily pain evenly! Then with aspirin and a few beers to wipe the slate clean, a guy wakes up the next morning ready and raring to go again!... :laughing:

Or this...alcohol and NSAIDS. They do wonders for the liver as well.

Get a MRI scan.

Don't see a orthopedic surgeon...see a Neurosurgeon.

Thats what i did and i was on oxycontin and morphine for the pain coz even walking 10 yards I'd be almost in tears with pain

Ended up having the neurosurgeon taking partcof a very veru bad l5 s1 disc out.

Nowcpain free and digging!!

Matt.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Get yourself checked out. I had a muscle ache on the left side of my back. I didn't get it checked for a year. Turns out I have DISH and I'm losing range of motion. You need to work on your core. I still detect 10 to 12 hours when I detect and I'm 66. You have you keep moving. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am 54 years old and as silly as this sounds I have started to do push-ups and crunches in the last couple of months and will be adding more core strengthening exercises. Strengthening your core helps alleviate your back. The #1 reason I am doing this is for metal detecting as I want to be able to enjoy this hobby late into my retirement years. :yes:

Dude that is rad, cross training for metal detecting

^^^ This

and stretch (especially before and after you detect)

Back pain is... well... a PAIN!

R5

You need leverage especially when you are lifting a full bucket of wet sand.

You have to break the ground suction of the wet sand or you are trying to lift about 3 to 4 times the weight of the full bucket.

Using your leg muscles and not your back to break the suction is the trick.

Here's the assist handle I came up with.

Attachments

• IMG_1619.JPG
    IMG_1619.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 247
Strongly recommend that you discuss the pain with your family doctor. Backs are nothing to mess around with. I have had one disc In my lower back and two in my neck removed. May only need exercises to strengthen the muscles BUT it very well could be a warning of more serious problems.

Strongly recommend that you discuss the pain with your family doctor. Backs are nothing to mess around with. I have had one disc In my lower back and two in my neck removed. May only need exercises to strengthen the muscles BUT it very well could be a warning of more serious problems.

I agree. A doctor missed a problem in my back a few years ago that was an early warning you my problem. Get to your doctor and have a check up to be safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom