Church of the Compadre...

Tesoro Compadre Coil Type and Windings.

I don't have a clue, don't even know what most of that stuff is.
All I know is that coil just works and works well.

Digger27 (and anyone else that might be interested.),

I decided to call Tesoro and was switched to Vince Gifford for answers to my questions and his answers are colored blue below.

Question #1...Does the Compadre (5.75" coil model) have a concentric/coplanar coil ? His answer was "Yes". (See definitions below.)

DEFINITIONS:
Concentric...having a common axis...Coaxial.
Coplanar...Lying in the same plane.

Question #2...Does the search coil include a TX, RX and a "Bucking" coil ? His answer was "Yes".

I've included attachments below to give visual and textual aids to help make the above definitions and understanding a "Bucking" coil easier. Vince prefers to call it a "balancing" or "tuning" coil. ;)

Also, I want to thank Carl Moreland and George Overton of Geotech Forums for the attached paragraphs and the Fig. 5-20 photo which are shown in their co-authored book Inside the Metal Detector and also available to the general public as a pdf document on the Internet at :http://www.geotech1.com/pages/metdet/info/coils.pdf
The top-left "Concentric Coplaner" photo I picked up somewhere else off the Internet, but don't remember where at the moment.

Hope this was interesting to someone.

ToddB64

Attachments

• Search Coil Concentric_Coplanar.png
    Search Coil Concentric_Coplanar.png
    9.9 KB · Views: 408
  • Concentric - Coplaner  Coil  Paragraph.jpg
    Concentric - Coplaner Coil Paragraph.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 396
  • Photo to Explain the Bucking Coil.jpg
    Photo to Explain the Bucking Coil.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 522
  • Bucking Coil Paragraph.jpg
    Bucking Coil Paragraph.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 410
Last edited:
I'm seriously considering joining the church. I need to confess though. I am having doubts. I wonder if the Compadre will be all that I need, or if my salvation might depend on sensitivity, ground balance, and interchangeable coils as well. Would I regret getting the Compadre when I could spend some extra and get the Mojave?

I live in Australia, and things are expensive here, so as much as I'd like to, I can't just get both! Also, I can't find out how our ground conditions might differ from those of the US or Europe where most hunters seem to be. Would I regret having no ground balance switch? Or am I wrong and the Compadre is all I need?

Forgive me my doubts!

I'm seriously considering joining the church. I need to confess though. I am having doubts. I wonder if the Compadre will be all that I need, or if my salvation might depend on sensitivity, ground balance, and interchangeable coils as well. Would I regret getting the Compadre when I could spend some extra and get the Mojave?

I live in Australia, and things are expensive here, so as much as I'd like to, I can't just get both! Also, I can't find out how our rground conditions might differ from those of the US or Europe where most hunters seem to be. Would I regret having no ground balance switch? Or am I wrong and the Compadre is all I need?

Forgive me my doubts!

I live in Birmingham Ala....red clay mineralization, the black stuff is too and there is also a lot of extra iron infesting our dirt and masking most everything.
The Compadre did fine, I could get to the 5" depth area most of the time, maybe 6" or so in some rare better black dirt.
Luckily, there is a ton of great treasure still down there at that shallow to 5" area and a lot is because we have those big masking issues.
I got a Mojave hoping it would get me just a little deeper in this strange dirt but I was shocked when it turned out to be a couple of inches instead, can read ID's a bit better on those deeper ones, also.
Plus it could sniff out masked targets as well or better than the Compadre.
I don't know what it is, why the Mojave seems to be able to deal with this devil dirt better than the Compadre and even better than my Vaquero...but it does.
I haven't found much need to switch it to the high mineralization setting yet, either.

The Compadre will get you going and will certainly find you coins and treasure.
If that is what you can afford a very good choice.
If you can swing the Mojave easily than my advice is to do that...it is not just a souped up Compadre, it is a different animal that can deal with rough dirt better and still has all the super powers of the Compadre.

Thanks DIGGER27. I've appreciated reading your posts I have to say. I can almost imagine myself wandering around thumbing the knob on the Compadre. Up 'till the signal is gone, then back down until it comes back in. I can almost hear the nice clear tone. Nearly time to join the church!

Having said that, you make some good points about the Mojave. I'll see if I can convince my wife about the extra expense, but even if I can't, you ease my mind a bit about bad dirt and the Compadre.

I live in Australia, and things are expensive here, so as much as I'd like to, I can't just get both! Also, I can't find out how our ground conditions might differ from those of the US or Europe where most hunters seem to be. Would I regret having no ground balance switch? Or am I wrong and the Compadre is all I need?

Forgive me my doubts!
I have an Equinox 600 with the stock 11in coil and the 6in coil, I also have a Compadre with the 53/4 in coil , I love both detectors and use them about equally, the Nox 600 though requires a lot more learning and it’s really not very good on our Canadian clad, I can find it but the Compadre hits it much better, on some hunts I go home a bit frustrated after using the Nox but I’m always smiling after swinging the Compadre, it’s a simple fun, capable machine. I recommend it.

Forgive me my doubts!

get the "mojave" you'll never regret it! got a ground switch! and more depth!
it's a "better" compadre!,and a "sweetheart" of a 7" coil.

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Thanks DIGGER27. I've appreciated reading your posts I have to say. I can almost imagine myself wandering around thumbing the knob on the Compadre. Up 'till the signal is gone, then back down until it comes back in. I can almost hear the nice clear tone. Nearly time to join the church!

Having said that, you make some good points about the Mojave. I'll see if I can convince my wife about the extra expense, but even if I can't, you ease my mind a bit about bad dirt and the Compadre.

Well, you certainly painted a nice picture of that thumbing technique, it's like I was there.
A Compadre, a Mojave or any other Tesoro have a definite language, there are a few slight differences between them that make every one a personal choice for somebody.
The tone is one of them, not all sound the same with some higher frequency tones and lower.
I had a high tone Vaq but I found I prefer the lower tones better and the Mojave sounds sweet to me.

When starting everything sounds like the same beep but in a short amount of time you start to hear some slight differences over some targets and you remember that tone.
Eventually you gain a nice catalog of different tones characterized by length, volume, sharpness on the ends and how that tone does "come in" when you thumb down.
Combine that with some coil movement techniques most of us learn and before long you have an entire colorful, descriptive language that becomes second nature.
All along the way it is fun learning, you find a lot of things including maybe some better coins and jewelry but once you begin calling your targets before you dig and you are shocked and pleased to be able to do that with some measured consistency you know you are becoming fluent.

Learning to hunt with sound is not only a challenge that is actually a labor of love but whether you do it at the beginning of after you already had some experience using screen units you will find learning to really listen close to the tones and behavior will be an asset that you will continue to employ as long as you do this hobby.
Many hunters use all kinds of detectors including some of the best and they will still tell you it's really all about the tones and not much about the screen.

The Compadre works but if your soil is hotter than normal the Mojave reads it better.
I am learning the Nox right now but I have several hours behind the Mojave, hundreds more behind the Compadre, and I still pull it out here and there and it still shocks me at how well it does things and the way it does it.

There is a bit of drama going on on most forums started by a guy that never spent much time with any Tesoro, never learned any language or behavior and still felt the need to bash them.
One of the biggest objections I had was he completely missed the part about the absolute fun and joy we have when we use them, the great satisfaction of finding the things we find.
He would never understand this part and neither would be care but it is a huge part of the hobby for me.

Just get something and then get swinging....

Well I'm pretty sold on the Mojave. I'll see what I can do about the best price.

It looks like I might have to sit outside at church though! Maybe I could bring doughnuts. Or how about lamingtons and pavlova? That's more Australian I guess.

Well I'm pretty sold on the Mojave. I'll see what I can do about the best price.

It looks like I might have to sit outside at church though! Maybe I could bring doughnuts. Or how about lamingtons and pavlova? That's more Australian I guess.

Isn't that a folk duo from the 70's?
I think I had one of their albums on 8 Track.

I have no idea about folk bands. :D Just be glad I didn't offer Vegemite!

Full disclosure: I love Vegemite. It's just not cricket if it isn't spread nice and thick!

Well, you certainly painted a nice picture of that thumbing technique, it's like I was there.
A Compadre, a Mojave or any other Tesoro have a definite language, there are a few slight differences between them that make every one a personal choice for somebody.
The tone is one of them, not all sound the same with some higher frequency tones and lower.
I had a high tone Vaq but I found I prefer the lower tones better and the Mojave sounds sweet to me.

When starting everything sounds like the same beep but in a short amount of time you start to hear some slight differences over some targets and you remember that tone.
Eventually you gain a nice catalog of different tones characterized by length, volume, sharpness on the ends and how that tone does "come in" when you thumb down.
Combine that with some coil movement techniques most of us learn and before long you have an entire colorful, descriptive language that becomes second nature.
All along the way it is fun learning, you find a lot of things including maybe some better coins and jewelry but once you begin calling your targets before you dig and you are shocked and pleased to be able to do that with some measured consistency you know you are becoming fluent.

Learning to hunt with sound is not only a challenge that is actually a labor of love but whether you do it at the beginning of after you already had some experience using screen units you will find learning to really listen close to the tones and behavior will be an asset that you will continue to employ as long as you do this hobby.
Many hunters use all kinds of detectors including some of the best and they will still tell you it's really all about the tones and not much about the screen.

The Compadre works but if your soil is hotter than normal the Mojave reads it better.
I am learning the Nox right now but I have several hours behind the Mojave, hundreds more behind the Compadre, and I still pull it out here and there and it still shocks me at how well it does things and the way it does it.

There is a bit of drama going on on most forums started by a guy that never spent much time with any Tesoro, never learned any language or behavior and still felt the need to bash them.
One of the biggest objections I had was he completely missed the part about the absolute fun and joy we have when we use them, the great satisfaction of finding the things we find.
He would never understand this part and neither would be care but it is a huge part of the hobby for me.

Just get something and then get swinging....

he refuses to acknowledge that ANY long time tesoro user could possibly be a match for the latest digital detectors.the man who knows the "audio nuances" of his detector is a formidable adversary indeed in the field.never underestimate the
"performance" of a single tone "tesoro" in the "trash" the detector "speaks" the truth!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Yeah I can handle naysayers. I've seen enough to convince me that Tesoro makes well built units that will probably last a lifetime, and they'll be super fun to use as well. That's mostly what I need to know!

It's icing on the cake for me that if I put in the effort to learn the "language," then the Tesoro can perform with some of the big boys anyway, and probably be more versatile than most of them too!

learning the audio of a tesoro is paramount in importance,and through consistent
practice in the field,you will realize in time, just how amazing this "much maligned" detector truly is."listen,and learn" you will NOT be disappointed!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

I was banned for a month from tnet because of that thread discussion. I asked the mods to do their job and I must have hurt their feelings. I was attacking them they said,what a joke! The truth hurts.... I will never use that forum site again ever! It also has nothing to do with tesoro ,its because one guy is allowed to do and say what he wants and that site is pro minelab or deus. I will NEVER purchase a minelab or deus because of that. I am a shepherd not a sheep or a follower.

I think Aussie dirt is mostly iron. If it is you need ground balance. High mineralization would make the Compadre useless.

Well I found somebody willing to send me a Mojave, and I couldn't resist their price of $212.60 (new)! Now the wait ...

If you need me, I'll be sitting outside on the steps of the church. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom