Homemade Tumbler Using Ford Window Motor

Buried

Elite Member
So, I'm crafty, soft of.. And I have a window motor just laying around the house..

1330223.jpg

And I'm thinking this could make a pretty sweet coin tumbler..
I also have a 12 volt power supply that I can use..

Has anyone ever used a window motor before to make a tumbler?

Do you think this motor will be strong enough to tumble coins?

Any suggestions you may have before I go destroying, er I mean, salvaging items from around the house?

So, I'm crafty, soft of.. And I have a window motor just laying around the house..

1330223.jpg

Do you think this motor will be strong enough to tumble coins?

Any suggestions you may have before I go destroying, er I mean, salvaging items from around the house?

I have no doubt that it would do it, but it is not a continuous duty cycle motor. It was designed to work in short cycles. You have little top lose. Give it a shot. You can probably pick up a continuous duty cycle motor for a low price at some electronic salvage store though. Low RPM motor and gearing to make it crawl.

I was thinking about that, so I ran it for 2 hours straight and it didn't heat up. But as you said, short cycles.. May just burn the motor up after using it a few times. I wonder if putting some weight on it may cause it to burn out. As for the electric salvage place, I have no clue where one of those would be at around here. I have visited the local thrift shops to see if they have any good finds that I can salvage, but nothing good thus far.

Chevy window motor

I tested mine with no load and the thermal switch cuts it off after 10 minutes. I thought about removing the drive gear and welding a shaft or wheel to the motor output. Gave up and bought the dual from Harbor freight.

I'm curious is your Ford motor will run longer than 10. GL, HH

30 minutes so far and going strong.. Ignore the poor design, I was going for proof of concept first :lol:

Attachments

• Picture 007.jpg
    Picture 007.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 10,664
I think you would be better served by getting a Harbor Freight Tumbler . The window motors DO have a thermal switch that will shut it off when overheated . The switch can be by-passed, but I don't think it is worthwhile.

I guess you don't have anything to lose. I would just make sure the power supply was fused and would not leave it unattended. Very creative.

DIY is trial and error so keep at it. It looks great so far. If the motor doesn't work out you could always find another type for your tumbler. Some people on here have made them out of printers so I'm sure your motor is strong enough if it can handle constant run times. Keep us updated on how its working out for you.

Thanks. I have two printers that I have already salvaged with the motors and rollers ready to go if this one gives out. I ran it assembled for an hour straight, didn't shut off. I got some aquarium rocks today and now gathering clad to see how it handles it.

Running some clad in it now. I had to buy some of that kitchen counter stuff (not the contact paper, but the other rubbery stuff to add traction)
And this folger's can is not going to work, it leaks. Had to wrap tape around the lid, lots of it lol -- maybe a plastic pickle jar, but I'm using the folger's can atm.

When I made mine the coffee can leaked also so I just put a block of wood under the front to tip it back and I also just put enough water in to cover the rock. Give that a try see if it helps.

Tom

Now my only question is... Since I built it for proof of concept, and it looks as ugly as can be, do I rebuild it and make a nice pretty box to hold it in, etc, or do I go with the old saying "If its not broke, don't try to fix it"

I mean, it works, just looks ugly :laughing:

Always follow the "KISS" rule. Keep it simple stupid! :laughing: I would try different containers and make any minor adjustments needed then after lots of run time when your sure its fool proof then make a final product.

Just an idea but how about making your container out of 3" or 4" pvc with one of the threaded clean out plugs in the end and a cap on the other?

That would probably work, the one thing that keeps me attached to the folger's can is the fact that its not a complete circle inside. There are places that stick in allowing you to grab the container, but the parts that stick in work great for the tumbling effect. Almost like the inside of a washing machine.

You could pvc-glue small strips of pvc inside the pipe. Maybe a 1/2" pvc pipe cut in half length wise. If you prime and glue pvc properly it bonds the two together and is sronger then the pipe it self.

Back
Top Bottom