A 5 star find!

Nephiel

I was combing the beach today, finding nothing but rusty nails, when this little girl and her father came to chat for a bit. She lost an earring yesterday, it was on her towel and got shaken off. They didn't remember where, but pointed to a general area of dry sand.

I chose some nearby rocks as a landmark and began combing a 15' square grid. Got an iron hit right away, one more rusty nail. Second hit took longer to recover, it was a tiny nail the size of a match head. Third was a hairpin, then some foil.

By then it was getting late and they had to leave. Not 15 minutes later, I got a crackle. Almost skipped it, but turned up the sensitivity on a whim and the signal became clear. A small target, about 5" down... soon after these stars were sparkling above the sand.

I didn't have the foresight to ask for contact info, but I'll be detecting on this beach for a few days. I hope to meet them again, so she can get it back.

This is at once my first silver find, first jewelry find, and hopefully first return!

UPDATE: found the family at the beach, the return was a success!

Attachments

• IMG_20180806_210526_1_1.jpg
    IMG_20180806_210526_1_1.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 336
Last edited:
I was combing the beach today, finding nothing but rusty nails, when this little girl and her father came to chat for a bit. She lost an earring yesterday, it was on her towel and got shaken off. They didn't remember where, but pointed to a general area of dry sand.

I chose some nearby rocks as a landmark and began combing a 15' square grid. Got an iron hit right away, one more rusty nail. Second hit took longer to recover, it was a tiny nail the size of a match head. Third was a hairpin, then some foil.

By then it was getting late and they had to leave. Not 15 minutes later, I got a crackle. Almost skipped it, but turned up the sensitivity on a whim and the signal became clear. A small target, about 5" down... soon after these stars were sparkling above the sand.

I didn't have the foresight to ask for contact info, but I'll be detecting on this beach for a few days. I hope to meet them again, so she can get it back.

This is at once my first silver find, first jewelry find, and hopefully first return!

Fun!

Turning up the sensitivity can make some small targets come alive. I'd do it all the time if there weren't so many small junk metals all over. Good job on the find, the return, and the report! Five stars!

Back
Top Bottom