Nickels

new jersey andy

Elite Member
Hi,

I just started coin roll hunting and was going through some rolls of nickels and the oldest I got were 10, 1964's. Do they contain any silver? If not, What years do contain silver.

Thanks in advance!

Andy

No not silver, War nickels from 1942-1945 are 35% silver. I know it sucks cause I have found a lot of them after 1945. lol

I personally don't keep the 64s because one billion were made that year. Very common date, little value at all. Good luck in your nickel search, I've found many key dates, war nickels, and Buffalo nickels in my ventures! HH
NC

Not all '42 nickels are silver...midway in 1942 the US held all nickel and added the silver...You will know a silver war nickel by the huge P, D, S, mm's above the Monticello building...:)

William

I do CRH with nickels too and have found one heck of alot of 1964's. I save any older than 1960 just because...no war nickels or buffs yet, but still hoping. Good Luck. : )

i save any nickel 1959 or older. ive gone through maybe $200 of nickels and pulled i think 3 or 4 war nickels and 1 1913 buff with the date worn off. if you keep crhing though its just a matter of time before you come across one. good luck!!

Nickels got that name because they were made of nickel from day one. Even going back to Shield nickels and including V and Buffalos they had the same composition they do now. Only during WWII did they contain silver.

Prior to 1873 5-cent pieces were called Half-Dimes and were silver. It was the switch from silver to nickel that gave them the common name we use today. Interestingly the very first small cents (Flying Eagle and the first few years of Indian Heads) were called nickel because they contained 12% nickel and have a different color from pennys after that point (and because 5-cent nickels hadn't been made yet!).

Back
Top Bottom