Don't hunt without permission late at night

Bagger 288

Got a lead that Thomas Edison spent time in Michigan before he became famous. I did a lot of research and figured out wher he operated out of. The story was real. He did spend time there before he became famous.

I got in some trouble up here for looking into a lead late at night.

Won't do that again. Get permission when you go detecting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tresspassing and running.................a bad combo. Especially nowadays, with all the crackheads and neer-do-wells out and about at ungodly hours......

DON'T RUN FROM COPS! You just admitted guilt. Your MDing not selling drugs...and get permission...ethics...of MDing.
BUT to wreck you stuff and hit you...no excuse by law man...no matter what you did.
AND not all cops are bad ..its like 2 percent...we live with that.
Good luck ....and happy hunting.

After that experience I am done with this. Most of the time it's little kids bugging me. So I do it after hours and I am treated like I am trying to raid a tomb or something. Sadly I am done after this experience.

Bagger don't give up! It happens to us all. Its fun when you past the B.S.
Figure out a good plan on what you want to hunt ...that's half the fun....and when you start finding treasures all that other stuff goes out the window....keep going!

I ran because they were brighting me up. I don't know flight or fright reaction? I was scared. I'll admit it. I knew I was doing something wrong.

You should have just stood there and explained yourself... by running is telling them you may have been doing something illegal... was the site historic? if so and you had no permission, then you were in the wrong... hunting at night near a famous place just doesn't sound like the right thing to be doing sorry...

As an ex-cop, you were in the wrong place at the wrong time, doing stuff you shouldn't have been doing. Trying to run away just compounded matters. (Most innocent people don't run from cops) Many of the PD's in Texas I worked with would have done much more to you. Consider yourself lucky!! :)

Dusty

Playing the devils advocate here, you already "lied" to us. Saying, "he beat the hell out of you with a billy club. If the constable hit you once, it was uncalled for. Many, many folks have had their tectors confiscated for various reasons. I would still file a complaint with the "chief." But small town police forces are a lot like the old "Rambo" movie. I do not blame a constable checking out activities out of the ordinary. It is simply no worse than being spotted and pulled for a traffic violation. Then running. Don,t give up the hobby. Just be more prudent and wise......................

Well I've had some time to calm down. I just won't do that again. Not that late at night. It sounded like people were calling the police saying I was breaking in cars or looking in them......I certainlly wasn't, but the cops didn't believe me at all. So yeah I was lucky. And they really did rough me up quit a bit, so while I wasn't beaten up like Rodney King, I was certainlly man handled like I was a robber or something. It continued at the jail. They kepy asking me why I was so nervous. They took my belt and shoe laces. They threw me in a cell with a bunch of other peole that were giving me crap too.

I really dont see a need to refer to people that are willing{ and do} put their lives on the line for all of us as "Stupid-Ass" or "Pigs"...If your life is ever in danger why dont you just call a Gang-Banger or a crack dealer!?...Let us know how that works out for ya bud!...:shock:

If I were that officer and you ran from me?...I'd done worse to ya..:mad:.

You messed-up!...You should have MADE sure that it was okay to detect there! Not assume that it was common ground! You managed to research the site so why didnt you contact someone from the township or village or the police dept before you decided to benefit yourself!?
People like you WILL ruin this hobby for ALL of us!...Ever wonder why detecting is NOT allowed in so-many places anymore!???:no:

I'm glad your finished with this hobby....;)...M-scope:cool:

As an ex-cop, you were in the wrong place at the wrong time, doing stuff you shouldn't have been doing. Trying to run away just compounded matters. (Most innocent people don't run from cops) Many of the PD's in Texas I worked with would have done much more to you. Consider yourself lucky!! :)

Dusty
Amen brother ...I lived in Harris County...that's Houston...my dads best friend was a Sherrif...what's the say? DON'T RUN FROM TEXAN COP. They don't chase ..just shoot!

So, you didn't spend 3 days in jail for metal detecting in a small town in Michigan. You spent 48 hours in jail for trespassing and running from a police officer. Maybe.

That's all I plan to add to this thread, so without further ado...
:popcorn:

I really dont see a need to refer to people that are willing{ and do} put their lives on the line for all of us as "Stupid-Ass" or "Pigs"...If your life is ever in danger why dont you just call a Gang-Banger or a crack dealer!?...Let us know how that works out for ya bud!...:shock:

If I were that officer and you ran from me?...I'd done worse to ya..:mad:.

You messed-up!...You should have MADE sure that it was okay to detect there! Not assume that it was common ground! You managed to research the site so why didnt you contact someone from the township or village or the police dept before you decided to benefit yourself!?
People like you WILL ruin this hobby for ALL of us!...Ever wonder why detecting is NOT allowed in so-many places anymore!???:no:

I'm glad your finished with this hobby....;)...M-scope:cool:
Yeah, what scope said. My granddaughters husband is a patrolman in Ohio. He wouldn,t have hit you a lick........he would have tazed you. He has to put up with more BS in a 10 hour shift. Just use frigging common sense if you ever hunt again, or sell your detector on here.

Back
Top Bottom