• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Still hating Nox, but not as much. Please help.

DigthenChuck

Everytime I take the Nox for a walk, I hear so much annoying noise. After my first time out I saw a video on putting your phone on airplane mode to eliminate EMI, so I have been not even carrying the phone. Whenever I go out the Nox is giving so many signals and noise everywhwere, I only dig the very strongest signals and would not have a chance of finding the faint and deep signals. I am beginning to think the Nox 800 is defective, but more than likely the operator is defective but I just don't know.

I have tried park and beach mode, done noise cancel. But it seems to make noise everywhere. Today in my yard after noise canceling it was making all kinds of noises just holding it still in the air.

Does anyone live near Cecil County MD with a Nox.

What sensitivity level and discrimination level are you using? Here's a few things to try:

1) Iron bias set at around 2 to rule out unwanted falsing.
2) 5 tones instead of 50 - to simplify audio.
3) Unwanted target ranges muted or disced out - to cut down on the amount of audio feedback.
4) Sensitivity lowered until machine becomes stable.
5) Try a different location to rule out EMI.

Did you do the update? If you did it might not have loaded correctly. I would undo the update and do it again. Secondly you never mentioned if you tried it at various locations. EMI could be doing it. Third I would try another coil. Find someone close. I live in Lancaster County PA. Not that far.

ROBOTCOP13 Are you near a radar site, airport or communication tower?

No, I'm in a rural area.

What sensitivity level and discrimination level are you using? Here's a few things to try:

1) Iron bias set at around 2 to rule out unwanted falsing.
2) 5 tones instead of 50 - to simplify audio.
3) Unwanted target ranges muted or disced out - to cut down on the amount of audio feedback.
4) Sensitivity lowered until machine becomes stable.
5) Try a different location to rule out EMI.

Thanks I will try these settings.

#3 I don't know how to disc out ranges.

Did you do the update? If you did it might not have loaded correctly. I would undo the update and do it again. Secondly you never mentioned if you tried it at various locations. EMI could be doing it. Third I would try another coil. Find someone close. I live in Lancaster County PA. Not that far.

I didn't do the update. Yes I have been to various locations, a totlot, my yard and a beach, too noisy everywhere.

I live down Rt222 near Port Deposit, it takes me about 45 mins to get to Lancaster City.

That’s a tough one :(

Mine doesn’t seem to have any issues with my iPhone8 on Verizon network and I carry the phone on my swing side (right).

Not sure, but maybe disconnect / reconnect coil cable and make sure it’s on right?

Maybe try the update?

Check under the coil cover for something odd in there (long shot)

Factory reset?

Is there a Minelab dealer near you that may be able to help out?

Shooting in the dark I am, hope you can get it ironed out soon. My Nox is noisier in general than my Compadre but nothing like you describe.

Good luck!

Are you using headphones or just the speaker? I had an issue with the WM08 and iPhone earbuds, they would buzz and make noise.

My nox is normally chatty around certain places with power lines. I was in a city and had to turn down the sensitivity to like 8 or something. That place was really bad.
I max sens out sometimes at 25 like a baseball field etc.
Hope you don't have a defect but its fixable.

I believe someone stated it was his coil .New coil solved the the issue you have .Give them a call . Best of luck

If its any consequence mine did the same thing. I wasn't impressed when comparing it to my other detectors and sold it. This was before the update and extra coils were available. Let us know what the fix is, I may try another if the update helps.

Great post though..that cell phone 'Airplane mode' is a must if a guy has a NOX and carries a phone!..

I've been running stock programs on my 800, 50 tones,,,just scrolling through the presets on different sites to find one that appeals to the site and situation....I like 'Windmill 2' either on the beach or on the dirt the best so far...

That cell phone was killing me earlier..and those invisible dog fences of course...

I didn't do the update. Yes I have been to various locations, a totlot, my yard and a beach, too noisy everywhere.

I live down Rt222 near Port Deposit, it takes me about 45 mins to get to Lancaster City.

Do the update and then check it out. If it doesn't behave I will meet you. When I was 18 we would drive to Johnston's at the MD border for beer. A long time ago.The Conowingo is almost home.

Great post though..that cell phone 'Airplane mode' is a must if a guy has a NOX and carries a phone!

My lg android phone and Nox get along fine.:yes:

Which cell phones/networks do or don't play well with the Equinox might be worth its own thread...I have an Android Motorola Moto Z Play on the Verizon network, and see no difference whatsoever if I have it on or off during a hunt, and I keep it in a leg pocket of my swing arm side. I'm always wearing either cargo pants or carpenter style jeans, so the phone rides about halfway down my thigh in those side pockets.

Which cell phones/networks do or don't play well with the Equinox might be worth its own thread...I have an Android Motorola Moto Z Play on the Verizon network, and see no difference whatsoever if I have it on or off during a hunt, and I keep it in a leg pocket of my swing arm side. I'm always wearing either cargo pants or carpenter style jeans, so the phone rides about halfway down my thigh in those side pockets.

I agree about posting up what phones/networks might interfere with the Nox.

FWIW, I have an iPhone 7 on AT&T and I don't really get any interference on my Nox. Sometimes it seems like I get minor interference if I get an incoming phone call. My TRX pinpointer drives it crazy though if my machine is too close while using the TRX.

I have the Android Maxx. Have not seen any issues with having the phone on me when I am detecting. I usually carry it in my upper left hand pocket of my Carhartt's, or in my left pocket in my cargo pants. I like the idea of having my phone ready you never know when there may be a medical issue.

Everytime I take the Nox for a walk, I hear so much annoying noise. After my first time out I saw a video on putting your phone on airplane mode to eliminate EMI, so I have been not even carrying the phone. Whenever I go out the Nox is giving so many signals and noise everywhwere, I only dig the very strongest signals and would not have a chance of finding the faint and deep signals. I am beginning to think the Nox 800 is defective, but more than likely the operator is defective but I just don't know.

I have tried park and beach mode, done noise cancel. But it seems to make noise everywhere. Today in my yard after noise canceling it was making all kinds of noises just holding it still in the air.

Does anyone live near Cecil County MD with a Nox.

I live in Balt. County. Power lines and such give a bunch of chatter. I have found in most cases changing freq. helps .

There have been places that give my Nox 800 fits. I usually lower the sensitivity till it quietens down to a tolerable level. You might try multiple noise cancels a hunt. I run mine in Park2 zero discrimination, Iron bias 0, speed 6-7, and as high a sensitivity as the site allows. My tones and tone volumes are setup in 5 tones with pitch and volume increasing as you go up from low to high conductors. I hunt super trashy places and at first I thought it was unbearable hearing everything in the ground, but over time my brain got used to it, and it's amazing now how I can pick good targets out of iron and non-ferrous trash. I dig less trash now with the Nox 800 than I do with the Impact with it's wide target I.D. numbers.

Back
Top Bottom