Started waterproofing my DFX

itsaring!

24K Larry
Forum Supporter
Got a start on it. Wouldn't recommend laying this thing somewhere where a neighbor may call the bomb squad while you are working on it. I'll feel better once the coil and headphones are installed. Got a call today my uncle passed away so I stopped working on it. Mod last year I was working on my aunt passed away while I was working on that one.My dad passed away a month later:no: Had a roofing harness I was gonna use to mount the box on. Seems it went missing. Probably in the trash:no: To be continued....................

Attachments

• SAM_0665.jpg
    SAM_0665.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 275
  • SAM_0666.jpg
    SAM_0666.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 262
What depth do you expect with that setup? Will it be as deep as your Excal? I like it! Maybe you can make a setup that goes 2 feet deep. We need that right now.

What depth do you expect with that setup? Will it be as deep as your Excal? I like it! Maybe you can make a setup that goes 2 feet deep. We need that right now.

Not real sure? Not waterproofed with our waves I could never take it past the wash. Could possibly go as deep as my BHID300 or deeper once saltwater is covering it. Later I need to do a remote pinpoint if it passes my field test.
Wouldn't recommend just anybody trying it. If I have problems with the inner workings all I have to do is swap them out with my other DFX and send it in for repair. Getting that flat 16 pin wire out of a DFX is a real chore.

It's looking good, how are you going to go about turning it on/off and changing settings?

I'm thinking a short (2"?) piece of PVC pipe with threads on one end, and 2 caps, one with threads, and one without. Cut the center out of the cap without threads out, so you can then stretch a piece of rubber like the finger of a dishwashing glove over the end of the pipe, then cap it with the cap with center cut out. Then cut a hole in the box above where the buttons will be, and marine epoxy in the piece of pvc pipe at the halfway point with the threaded end and screw on cap outside the box, and the hollow cap with rubber dishwashing glove finger on the inside. Then to adjust settings, you can screw off the cap, stick you finger in the pvc pipe and dishwashing glove finger, and push the buttons, all while staying waterproof.

That makes a lot more sense in my head...

I'm doing the same type of thing with the Sov XS, except instead am dealing with rotary switches/pots...

Last edited:
It's looking good, how are you going to go about turning it on/off and changing settings?

I'm thinking a short (2"?) piece of PVC pipe with threads on one end, and 2 caps, one with threads, and one without. Cut the center out of the cap without threads out, so you can then stretch a piece of rubber like the finger of a dishwashing glove over the end of the pipe, then cap it with the cap with center cut out. Then cut a hole in the box above where the buttons will be, and marine epoxy in the piece of pvc pipe at the halfway point with the threaded end and screw on cap outside the box, and the hollow cap with rubber dishwashing glove finger on the inside. Then to adjust settings, you can screw off the cap, stick you finger in the pvc pipe and dishwashing glove finger, and push the buttons, all while staying waterproof.

That makes a lot more sense in my head...

I'm doing the same type of thing with the Sov XS, except instead am dealing with rotary switches/pots, so will use the pvc with cap on outside, but with an extended pot shaft, and sealed rotary shaft bushing to keep it watertight with the cap off.

Here our machines don't ground balance. The preamp gain only goes to 4.Factory is 2. The DFX the beach and jewelry mode has the sweetest tones anyways. So once its cut on I doubt I have to change anything here in or out of the water. May be wrong. But its got my interest to see what it can do. I know I won't miss any nickels:D

Here our machines don't ground balance. The preamp gain only goes to 4.Factory is 2. The DFX the beach and jewelry mode has the sweetest tones anyways. So once its cut on I doubt I have to change anything here in or out of the water. May be wrong. But its got my interest to see what it can do. I know I won't miss any nickels:D

Biggest thing that worries me about the Waterproof Sov is when I get out of the water and have to turn it off, with wet hands... :D Maybe I'll just leave it on until I get home :lol:

Mods are fun to do. I wish I was better with my hands. Some nice looking stuff going on.

Biggest thing that worries me about the Waterproof Sov is when I get out of the water and have to turn it off, with wet hands... :D Maybe I'll just leave it on until I get home :lol:

Why not a full waterproof boot on a toggle switch, inline to the battery power?

Why not a full waterproof boot on a toggle switch, inline to the battery power?

That's a good point. Here i'm used to having wet salty hands since we sweat so bad from the humidity even inland. I can wash my stuff off at the beach including my hands all year long. Better to rinse the thing off before you open it anyways. My sov gt I only have one battery. MY DFX I have 4 rechargeables.:lol:

That Looks real good, keep us informed on the progress and love the pic's

I got one of those guys...it has not been used in over 10 years.

Back
Top Bottom