1st ever water hunt, a little clad & a little silver

Dug13

After 10 years of dirt hunting, I finally found time to try out my Fisher Aquanaut that I bought 4 years ago. Yesterday I took my wife, youngest daughter, and 2 grand daughters to a local swimming hole. It is small spring fed river with clear water and gravel base.

Didn't really know what I was doing or what to expect, so I put on the mask/snorkel, set the 1280 to zero disc and jumped in. I was in about 2-4 feet of water.

Took a little while to get used to raking gravel with one hand and holding on the detector with the other hand. The current is only 3-4 miles per hour, just enough if you let go of the detector, it would start to float away.

Was very surprised to find soooo much trash. Lots of rusted nails, rusted barb wire, and some glass. ( good thing we make our kids wear water shoes).
The trash to treasure ratio was about 10 to 1. After lunch, I raised the disc to about 5, much more pleasant.

No amazing finds, but had a great time, looking forward to trying it again.
Thanks for looking.

A question for the water hunters, about every 20 minutes or so, my mask would fog over. I would have to stop flush the mask and start again. Very annoying. How do you prevent the fog over? Or is that just part of water hunting?

Attachments

• P8031292.jpg
    P8031292.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 318
  • P8031295.jpg
    P8031295.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 312
Congrats on your first water hunt, and the silver ring. I'm not a water hunter myself, but isn't there some fluid that you wipe on your goggles/mask to stop the fogging? I'm sure someone will post what they do. Good luck on future hunts. : )

Congrats on your first water hunt. You can buy anti fog drops to wipe inside your mask, or cut a fresh potato and rub it on the inside as well......:yes:

Mask Fogging

A question for the water hunters, about every 20 minutes or so, my mask would fog over. I would have to stop flush the mask and start again. Very annoying. How do you prevent the fog over? Or is that just part of water hunting?

Hi there!
Use toothpaste!
The night before you go out put a thin layer of toothpaste inside your mask and let it dry. Rinse it off when you get into the water. Works like a charm! You can do it on the day too, but you must let it dry or it doesn't work as well.

Good Luck!

LOTS of ways to make it so a mask doesn't fog. EASIEST way. Just before you get it wet, spit in it. Rub the spit all over the glass on the inside and rinse it out with the lake or river water. Unless you get it dry again it will not fog up.

Go to a dive shop and buy some Anti fog gel. More expensive but works a little better.

I use either. Mostly spit because I forget my gel.

Congrats on the finds and good luck on gold!!

Last edited:
Congrats on the silver! I just started water hunting too, so nice when the weather is hot!! Keep em coming!

SPIT!... Best thing you can use to stop fogging. I have been scuba diving for years and have used many products and the best one I have found is free.

Congrats on a good hunt and getting in the water! Yep, spit is free and works. I know a lot of the forum members make you want to spit anyways.:shock::laughing:
HH BH

Back
Top Bottom