snake bite...

rattzilla-giant-rattlesnake.jpg

I am thankful that there are no venomous snakes in the western half of Washington. :)
I hope that goes for the far east part of Washington too. I almost stepped on a 5 foot rattler camping in Yakima canyon last year. I think I was shakin more than he was rattlin and I scared him away.

It is a give and take relationship for sure.. I try to avoid at all costs, but every once in a while one will get to aggressive. First two shots in my pistol are rat shot. They are shot shells for pistol..

I use the same thing (we call it snake shot), alternating with hollow points....

Dusty

Here we see mainly cotton mouths and copperheads, while riding 3wheelers , ran over what I thought was a stick, turned out to be a velvet tail rattler and was bitten on ankle when I was 17, was a really rough time for a bit. Antivenom is one expensive drug. Like post said above, I let them go their own way and keep a really good eye out now.

Here we see mainly cotton mouths and copperheads, while riding 3wheelers , ran over what I thought was a stick, turned out to be a velvet tail rattler and was bitten on ankle when I was 17, was a really rough time for a bit. Antivenom is one expensive drug. Like post said above, I let them go their own way and keep a really good eye out now.

Well, the way they have to get the basic substance for the product is pretty hairy!!!!!!! Couldn't pay me enough!!!!:lol:

Dusty

I read that a serious snake bite can end up costing over 250,000 dollars. Doctors, hospital, drugs, rehab, travel expenses, and lost wages. Better than the alternative though.

First line of "What to do if you are bitten by a poisonous snake".

.....................................STAY CALM!......................................

"What to do if you are bitten by a poisonous snake".

.....................................STAY CALM!......................................

aww crap, ya mean I can't beat it with my coil, cut it's head off with my hori hori then stomp on it until it stops moving before i sit down and call 911?

and yes i see snakes on the trail all summer long here in the Chicago land area, they like to get on the payment and since my segway is mosly silent running they don't spook until i see the whites of their beadly little eye's. I'm talking myself out of some good fields i had scoped this spring, i never should have brought it up :shock:

A few years ago, I was detecting along a creek bank in late February. It was sunny, but chilly and there was still ice at the edge of the creek, so I didn't expect to see any snakes. I happened to glance up and right in front of me was
a coiled cottonmouth. I ended up in the creek, detector and all. I guess the weather had made the snake a little sluggish and he couldn't get out of my way or strike fast enough. Fortunately, I didn't get bitten and my detector survived.

The snakes in the pipe were not venomous. Just a den of common water snakes. Used to catch a few (grab) fishing. Toss them in other friend,s boats and watch <<<>>> and elbows navigate.............................

Last edited by a moderator:
Snakes!!!!!!!!!!

Best thing for rattel snake bite is massive doses of Eckenesia, pineapple and water as soon as possible after the bite. Lots of water Then get to the hospital.

Snake bite kits are usuall in-effective. Trying to cut the puncture wound and suck the venom is probably another wast of time.

60 per cent of rattle snake bites occur from people messing with a snake when they should not.

90 per cent of rattle snake bites occur below the knees, hence snake guards.

60 years in the desert and I have seen a total of 4 snakes. Only seen 2 coon tail rattel snakes in my life.

Snakes cannot stand a lot of heat. the will usually be in brush, bushes, under large rocks or in the shadows of a crevice, rarely out in the sun.

Rattle snakes will usually warn you. Once you have heard that rattle, you will never forget it. Sounds like a rain bird sprinkler in operation.

Rattle snake bites do not have to be fatal and usually aren't if you seek help from a qualified hospital quickly. I read a story of a man who survived a rattle snake bit on just massive doses of eckenesia, pinapple and water. I certainly do not want to try it.

boots

Just get snake boots,plenty around,if i hunted in an area like that,snake boots would be automatic,i would probally carry a teloscopic snake handling tool also :shock::wow::no:;)

When in the south or east of the cascade mountains, I carry a kit for orthers, snake gaters for me and .22 birdsot if said snake is obnoxous.....

A few years ago, I was detecting along a creek bank in late February. It was sunny, but chilly and there was still ice at the edge of the creek, so I didn't expect to see any snakes. I happened to glance up and right in front of me was
a coiled cottonmouth. I ended up in the creek, detector and all. I guess the weather had made the snake a little sluggish and he couldn't get out of my way or strike fast enough. Fortunately, I didn't get bitten and my detector survived.
When I was in high school, I nearly stepped on a couple of rattlers while quail hunting the week after Christmas.

Back
Top Bottom