Short Noob Hunt - Dug Less Trash :)

AirmetTango

Forum Supporter
Hopefully my comparatively lackluster hunt postings aren't annoying the md'er veterans, but I'm hoping that by showing my (slow?) progress, I'm helping the other newbie detectors on the forum feel better if they aren't turning up silver or great keepers every time they go out.

Anyways, I spent about an hour at a former school site that was new for me, and I was very pleased with the results - not because I came home with anything spectacular, but because I felt like I made real progress in understanding what the detector was telling me.

The site was pretty trashy, mostly because the school was demo'd fairly recently, plus the area is now pretty much an open, public area. Despite the trash, I was able to pick out several coins (although still nothing but Lincolns) - and for the first time, I (arguably) came away digging more interesting objects than junk! Depends on whether you count the zincolns as finds or junk! :laughing: More importantly for me as a beginner, I guessed correctly every time except once whether I had a coin/relic or trash :grin: The pic below shows everything I dug, including all trash.

The pull tabs I intentionally dug knowing they were probably tabs on the off chance of finding a gold ring, and the can slaw I dug just to confirm that my guess was right.

Of all things, the bolt fooled me - if I remember right, it was signaling in the nickel range. It came right after I found a mini-pocket spill (the 3 pennies grouped near the key in the pic), so I was getting jazzed up and dove right into the dig. If I was more methodical, and hit the Iron Audio feature of the Ace like I normally do, maybe I could have guessed more accurately? I don't know - the jury is still out for me on whether the Iron Audio is really useful or not.

I guess I was technically fooled by the small bracket too - it was ringing like a dime, and I felt sure it was a good signal. But since it turned out to be sort of relic-like rather than can slaw, I'll count it in the "good" column :grin:

The key was a cool find - mainly because I recognized it immediately! As soon as I got home, I asked to see my wife's keys - sure enough, it's a perfect match for the office/room keys issued to staff at BGSU (second pic). I suppose I'll need to make an effort to return it to the university - the reverse side has an ID number imprinted on it. Who knows - maybe it'll open the door for doing a little detecting on some University owned property I've had my eye on :grin:

08ffa51f55911fc0f84644e49dc369e2.jpg

2e1eaff50832498581bea6f9bb97e255.jpg

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Great post here. I think the more you document your progress the better, I wish I had started this way a few years ago. Its a great resource for everyone. Thanks for taking the time to share this stuff. Good luck on all your hunts!

You are doing great. I like finding keys because you never guess that its going to be a key. Keys just verify that you have more to learn yet, that is if you try to guess what it is before you dig your targets. Thanks for sharing....

Great post here. I think the more you document your progress the better, I wish I had started this way a few years ago. Its a great resource for everyone. Thanks for taking the time to share this stuff. Good luck on all your hunts!

Thanks for the encouragement, Danny T! I'll keep posting my ups and inevitable downs :grin:

Cool key, even cooler you have a match :)

The look on my face was probably priceless when I pulled it out the hole! It literally went like this: "Cool! A key!" Rub some dirt off for about 5 seconds, and "What the...My wife has one of these!"

You are doing great. I like finding keys because you never guess that its going to be a key. Keys just verify that you have more to learn yet, that is if you try to guess what it is before you dig your targets. Thanks for sharing....

Thanks, bibelot! Yeah, the keys are neat....this is the third one I've dug already, each one at an former school site, by coincidence. And yes, they do kind of reinforce the idea that you never really know what is about to come out of the ground until you dig it. Just to clarify my post - I certainly didn't guess that I was digging a key beforehand - I only felt confident that it wasn't a trash signal. It was ringing solid in the low 70s, if I remember right. I'm definitely enjoying the challenge of trying to guess what I've got before digging the target - it seems to be a natural step to help learn the machine and improve my overall skills. Right now, I'm keeping it basic - is it a "good" signal or trash, is it coin or relic if good, can or pull tab if bad, etc.

Nice going! I learn something just about every time out.

Thanks, beephead! As a rookie detector, I think I'm still learning with every swing :grin: I definitely underestimated how much there is to master with md'ing - much like aviation, it's an intricate mix of art and science. I suppose a rewording of one of my favorite aviation maxims can be applied to md'ing as well: "A good detectorist is always learning"

Back
Top Bottom