Old coin record

Awesome show !

Question for you: Where I'm at, here in CA, we get Japanese tourists. Because of nearby world-class golfing destinations. As such, I have occasionally run into Japanese tourists while hunting Carmel beach. And they'll sometimes come up, and in their best English they can muster, will ask: "What are you doing?". (they think I am a city worker doing some sort of job or something ?)

I try to explain by opening up my apron and showing them some coins, etc... A look of confusion always descends on them. As if they're thinking "why on earth would anyone do this ??" :?:

So it's as if it's in their culture to waste time on such things. Like they're more into work ethic versus triffle-play things, or whatever. Do you find this true in Japan ? Like where the average person meets this with confusion? As to why anyone would waste time in such a venture ?

It's the same for me. I talked to fisherman on my last hunt. He looks on the surface for fishing lures and new money sometimes. I found an old coin but he thought it was a foreign coin so most people here don't know anything about them. It is better because people just think it is a weird hobby and don't question it.

... It is better because people just think it is a weird hobby and don't question it.

well gee, I wish I was the only one here md'ing in Calif :laughing: And that everyone else here thought it was "weird". I envy you with so many virgin sites over there !

well gee, I wish I was the only one here md'ing in Calif :laughing: And that everyone else here thought it was "weird". I envy you with so many virgin sites over there !

I guess there are other people detecting here but not many. I know there are a few people living in Tokyo on this forum and a lot more from other parts of Japan but not many compared to the U.S.

Also many people do wonder why you want to find coins and old stuff but they understand if tell them it is just a hobby. A lot of Japanese people of useless hobbies here just like everywhere else. They just haven't seen metal detecting before.

It is fun to just try random sites to see what you find. You will usually find something interesting anywhere you look but sometimes you find a good spot.

Back
Top Bottom