question

dirtchirp

can anyone tell me how tall the orignal basketball players were,and why in the world they aren't they being downsized.I GOOGLED the question and never got an answer.:?:

I can't find any history on averages of height for NBA players... only recent averages... which they state that the current average height in the NBA is 6'6". But you can account for it lots of ways. Back in the early days of bball... it was predominantly white, African American on average are taller. And as history shows, as we've progressed as a people, our heights keep increasing. So... one could deduct that with the influx of African Americans, and the "over-time" factor... along with more modern dietary and body conditioning aids that the average heights of players would increase.

But why would they downsize?

If you downsized the height way down.... Get a bunch of Midgets playing Basketball.... Now that would be very interesting to watch. :lol:

IMHO....they should get rid of the basket and convert to using a hole in the floor. Height would then not be an advantage and, if a player should fall into the hole, he would remain out for the remainder of the game. :lol:

I always thought they should raise the hoop to 12 feet maybe more. It's really not that hard for someone to dunk it if they are 6 foot 6 inches tall. Atleast make them work for it...haha.

Here are the heights of a few of the early players:

Henry G. "Dutch" Dehnert - 6'1"
Bernie Fliegel - 6'3"
Joseph Bohomiel Lapchick - 6'5"
John (Johnny) Beckman - 5'9"
Max H. "Marty" Friedman - 5'7"
Bernard "Bennie" Borgmann - 5'9"
David Banks - 5'5"
Nat Holman - 5'11"
Red Holzman - 5'10"

Doug

Back