Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Myers Depot Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > Metal Detector Accessories

Notices

Old 05-19-2006, 07:57 AM
Elite Member

Default Aftermarket Explorer II Coils?

Anyone out there got any info, pro's, con's, etc. on small aftermarket coils for the Exp. II?

I am looking to make a purchase so as to have another weapon when hunting areas with HIGH trash content. (We have lots of them). I am looking for the BEST PERFORMER, not for cost comparison. So far the only one I have heard good things about is the Sun Ray 5".

Time in swing 2009: 0.0 hrs.
Significant finds '09: TBD

I WORK TOO MUCH & SLEEP TOO LITTLE !!!!

Old 05-19-2006, 07:23 PM

Default Re: Aftermarket Explorer II Coils?

I've heard real good things about the Sunray x-5 too.! Actually, i've been thinking of getting one myself at some point.! I just got the X-12 and I'm real happy with it.! While I got it for the beach, I've had fun trying it for digging dirt.! Very lightweight (lighter than the stock) and not all that difficult to pinpoint with.! I'm also playing with the Platypus.! I'm getting better at the ExpII but I recently learned (on a forum hunt with some real pros) that I've got a LONG way to go. I felt totally inept hunting with these guys (one of which was Bluenoser Leslie from Nova Scotia)

Old 05-19-2006, 08:59 PM
Elite Member

I have to tell you... I just talked to Ralph again today and put in another order for more Stealth coils and he is a stickler for quality. He really backs up the products he makes and sells through us dealers. I don't think you can find better coils anywhere. Been working on Coiltek coils but I already know that the Sunrays are great coils

Old 05-19-2006, 09:17 PM

I felt totally inept hunting with these guys (one of which was Bluenoser Leslie from Nova Scotia)
Les is a real pro hunter.

Old 05-20-2006, 04:48 AM
Elite Member

Hey Joe!!! Nice to hear from you. I gotta think I'm in about the same space as you with my Exp. as well. I do OK, and have developed a "sixth sense" in hearing some of the good targets mixed in with a lot of trash. I want to get better at this machine, but have no one else to hunt and learn the finer points and subtleties from. You can do all the reading in the world, but it only gains so much. I'm still waiting on availability of the Advanced Exp. DVD here in the states. I saw Les's post that you guys got together . I have gotten with JiminPhilly a couple of times, and expect to again this comming week. I'm still waiting on the new water machines before I commit to one. I don't want to risk My Exp. in the surf.

Old 06-14-2006, 12:09 AM

When going smaller and bigger than the stock coil on the explorer II does it effect the target ID? The sov I remember you would have to recalibrate the meter.

Old 06-14-2006, 08:34 AM
Elite Member

I don't know about the I.D. I would assume that the coil is "tuned" for the machine, as it is expressly made for the Exp II. I have ordered one from TonyinCt, and am awaiting its arrival. I will let you know for sure.