There is always something new to learn

Rammjäger

Elite Member
No matter how much time past,there is always
some hidden secret about the past to learn.
I just saw a video about metal detecting here in Europe
and they said in 1st and 2nd. World Wars (specially in 2WW) soldiers used to wear so called "Soldiers Rings"
They were cheap fake rings while the real gold ones normally they left them at home with their wives.
In the past years I have found at least two fake rings.Although not in combat zones , but as you know,
all of this land was considered a "combat zone"..
I found them at paths in the woods and until today I
looked at them as modern junk rings,lost by some ladies
while taking a walk.... but now I am reconsidering this possibility.At least,I kept until today these two ones and they didn't
land in the trash can. I will try to upload a pic to one of these rings that I uploaded years ago in this forum.

Attachments

• 20190623_230859.jpg
    20190623_230859.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 285
Had not heard of these. Wonder why the guys wouldn't just go without a ring? Were single US/British/et c soldiers being hounded by numerous German maidens?
Maybe back then it was important to make your marital status very clear to everyone.

Had not heard of these. Wonder why the guys wouldn't just go without a ring? Were single US/British/et c soldiers being hounded by numerous German maidens?
Maybe back then it was important to make your marital status very clear to everyone.

I can speak for everyone who thinks about this a bit differently.

I wear the ring for ME. I'm not concerned about everyone else knowing I'm married. It could be the "combat rings, or soldiers rings" were to ensure the men could wear a ring to remember their loved ones, without the possibility of their actual wedding ring being lost, stolen, or robbed from their body.

The wedding ring is a deeply personal item to many people, and it's not about what other people think. My wife wears different rings, depending on the situation she's in, but it's never about wearing it so others know she's married. For her, it's about remembering ME. :)

Skippy

Seems like if they were MIA or KIA , the wives have the real rings. They might not have been recovered otherwise. Sad.

Back
Top Bottom