Feeling Hot! Hot!! Hot!!! Especially With the 18K Breaking the Slump!

FelixtheCat

A Moderating Knight of the Round Coil
Super Mod
Forum Supporter
It seems Josh has recently been the only SouthFla pirate posting any gold on here. Well, it hasn’t been for a lack of trying from me! I last found gold over a month ago on May 25th and had 9 fruitless hunts until today. :frustrated: Conditions have been mainly great as far surf conditions but that has also been a result from winds that have led to sanded-in conditions that haven’t been conducive to targets. It has also been extremely hot and humid. :coolinoff: We have had many hot record tying or breaking days for over 2 weeks as our normal cooling afternoon thunderstorms have been infrequent. Today, I headed out for a sunrise hunt to plan around the 9:40am low tide. Very early in the hunt I hit my 1st ring and I thought it might be white gold but the weight bothered me. I took it out to examine a few times throughout my 5 hour hunt and at one point I was able to discern some type of hallmark which I was happy about. (It wasn’t until I got to my car that I read “Titanium” :( ).

I thought conditions were much better than last week but still not excellent. During my hunt, I saw 2 other pirates. At one point, we all tried at to help a guy that had lost his keys. His search area for the keys was pretty big and after 20 minutes of trying I moved on. :roll: At about the 3.5 hour mark in my hunt, I was offshore on the edge of a sandbar when I got a tone and switched over from AM to discriminate. It was a scratchy mid-tone. What’s funny is that about 4 feet from my target I saw the telltale long drag mark of one of the other 2 pirate’s scoop along the bottom. I actually thought “Wouldn’t it be hilarious if I come up with a gold here”. After a couple of scoops the target seemed to disappear. I went around and scooped a couple of times more and nothing. I refused to give up and I think it was on the 5th or 6th deep scoop that I bring up and look in and :dingding:. I then started laughing. :lol: I laughed that I was about to give up and that it was about 4 feet from another pirate’s grasp. At home, there is no “K” mark but acid testing easily held 10K, 14K, and 18K held for quite a bit so I’m betting it’s around there. One of the other rings that I thought was junk I acid tested after cleaning and its silver. I am glad my slump is done for now.

Attachments

• 6-26-19.jpg
    6-26-19.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 744
  • 6-26-19 Gold.jpg
    6-26-19 Gold.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 728
  • 6-26-19 rings.jpg
    6-26-19 rings.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 714
  • 6-26-19 Fits.jpg
    6-26-19 Fits.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 689
Congrats on the gold Felix! Just goes to show, nobody get's it all and many miss gold by just inches or feet each time out. It just happens :) Luckily for you, you did not give up! Way to go!

Congrats on the slump buster! I'm on a June slump myself, hoping to break it soon though in July :yes::D

that is a nice hunt. Way to go not giving up on the target. I find myself ready to walk away after a number of scoops and then losing the signal. Have to just remember-you never know.

Good for you!! All the rings are pretty ..those blue glasses look like something expensive...

Nice find Felix! I've been getting out in the evenings lately... can't believe how many people are at the beach on weekdays. Does anyone work anymore?

I found an unmarked 18k ring last night along with a diamond silver earring and a pair of ray-bans. However, the 18k ring didn't seem to have the right weight to it for its size. Got home did the acid test, held at 10k, 14k, 18k disappeared with 22k acid.

Something still didn't seem right, so I did your specific gravity test. Weight was 5.7 grams and weight in the water was .7 grams... came up with a specific gravity of 8 :( I made sure to test one of my marked 14k rings to verify I was doing the test right and it came up with a gravity of 13-14.

On the plus side I can't really be fooled anymore by doing both tests.

Woowhooo, awesome hunt man! Are you getting the bad seaweed hitting the beach there? Bad down here in some spots...

Wow, 25 corroded zinc pennies. I'm jealous. I've never found a zinc penny before ! :cool3:

Something still didn't seem right, so I did your specific gravity test. Weight was 5.7 grams and weight in the water was .7 grams... came up with a specific gravity of 8 :( I made sure to test one of my marked 14k rings to verify I was doing the test right and it came up with a gravity of 13-14.

On the plus side I can't really be fooled anymore by doing both tests.
Well Josh it's not really MY specific gravity test per say. I think the ancient Greeks would be a little upset if they didn't get the credit! :lol:

Are you getting the bad seaweed hitting the beach there? Bad down here in some spots...
So far its been good! (Knock on wood!) Nothing like the historic carpets of that cr^p that we had ruining the beaches for months last year.

Wow, 25 corroded zinc pennies. I'm jealous. I've never found a zinc penny before ! :cool3:
Oh Tom, you say that to all the pirates! :blush2:

Last edited:
Congrats on getting back to the gold. It's such a great feeling to see shinny gold in the scoop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom