Some AT PRO air testing

Cherry Picker

Forum Supporter
I'm waiting for it to get nice enough outside to do some in-the-field videos so I did another air test in my living room. I tested a 14k gold ring, a large cent and a 3 ring mini. The AT PRO was in Pro mode Zero discrimination and sensitivity turned down to be stable in the house. All targets tested easily at more than 12".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEmI7TlpwD0

Last edited:
Detector, I am thinking about getting the AT Pro and have read mixed reviews on it. I see you have used many and wondered how you would compair it to the others. Also if you would recommend it for general MDing and coinshooting, with an occasional salt beach. PS I did read your review.
Thanks Tom

From the playing around I've done with my AT Pro I'd say it's a very good general detector and outstanding coin shooter. Can't say about salt water since I don't live anywhere near the stuff.

I would rate the AT PRO extremely high for the money. Best detector for $600 or less that I've ever used. Not quite as deep as the E-Trac only because the E-Trac does a very good job of telling the user when a deep coin is there. The AT PRO could see every coin, so far, that I've found with my E-Trac, but the E-Trac makes it easier to tell it's a coin. As far as gold goes it is hands down the best I've ever used. It will hit on a 14k gold ring just about as deep as a silver dollar. I just found a nice 10k gold bracelet at a tot lot that was next to a metal poll. I'm sure it has been there for awhile because of the dirt packed on it. I got it on video so once I clean it up I'll post it.

The AT PRO has a few design flaws such as the upper rod too short, leg stands too short and a coil that will false if you twist your wrist, but not a big deal for me. I added an extension on the upper rod, problem solved, and I just lay it on it side, problem solved. I don't twist my wrist when I hunt so I have yet to see any issues with the so called coil problems. I think some people are nit picking or have a personal issue with Garrett. If the AT PRO was a $1000 detector then I could see a reason to complain, but for the money I doubt you could find anything in the same class. And that includes the Omega 8000 which I owned as well.

Last edited:
yep, what he said.

I would rate the AT PRO extremely high for the money. Best detector for $600 or less that I've ever used. Not quite as deep as the E-Trac only because the E-Trac does a very good job of telling the user when a deep coin is there. The AT PRO could see every coin, so far, that I've found with my E-Trac, but the E-Trac makes it easier to tell it's a coin. As far as gold goes it is hands down the best I've ever used. It will hit on a 14k gold ring just about as deep as a silver dollar. I just found a nice 10k gold bracelet at a tot lot that was next to a metal poll. I'm sure it has been there for awhile because of the dirt packed on it. I got it on video so once I clean it up I'll post it.

The AT PRO has a few design flaws such as the upper rod too short, leg stands too short and a coil that will false if you twist your wrist, but not a big deal for me. I added an extension on the upper rod, problem solved, and I just lay it on it side, problem solved. I don't twist my wrist when I hunt so I have yet to see any issues with the so called coil problems. I think some people are nit picking or have a personal issue with Garrett. If the AT PRO was a $1000 detector then I could see a reason to complain, but for the money I doubt you could find anything in the same class. And that includes the Omega 8000 which I owned as well.

Thanks Detector, I priced one new for 499.00. After seeing some of these test and your reviews I think I'm sold.

The AT Pro is great and it does just fine around sandy beaches, too cold for being in the water here....air temperature is -6 C.

Here in the Pacific north west, hot rocks are everywhere and the AT makes them vanish, so there are lots of targets which have been masked by the hot rocks. For me this is a huge step forward in detecting.

All in all I am pleasantly impressed and look forward to 2011 being a very good year.

Happy New Year to you all.

Back
Top Bottom