• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Based On Your Experience, What’s Your #1 Tip?

Cortland

Forum Supporter
Sometimes it gets a little tiring for me to continually stop, put down the detector, and stoop with each signal I find. So, if I’m relatively alone, I sometimes just mark the spot with a fluorescent 3-1/2” golf tee until I have 3 or 4 spots to check. Then I put the detector aside and dig them all at once.

Attachments

• Tees.jpg
    Tees.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 1,325
No helter skelter hunting

If hunting a larger area you can't possibly cover in your alloted time, set a section aside to cover and plan on resuming in an ajoining area when you return. GPS units are a great option also to mark covered areas.

my number 1 tip? gee, i can think of dozens of them, haha! :lol:

i've used the golf tee's and they're a great idea! the pro pointer, definitely! carry spare batteries. get to know your machine and what it's telling you.
and many more.....

Pete

Basically all tip's come down to 2 things. Research and dig everything. :)

I need to get into the research part for sure...but yeah dig it all....and I came up with some good finds.....quick.:cool:

I need to get into the research part for sure...but yeah dig it all....and I came up with some good finds.....quick.:cool:

You'd be surprised how easy it is. Just find some local history books and old map's and you have everything you need.

Now that I am 50 years old, my number one tip is ALWAYS know where the nearest bathroom is!

Take a minute and check to make sure you have everything. I don't know how many times I have been all excited and in a hurry to go detecting & upon arriving at my destination I find out that I forgot my headphones or my digger.

If you are going to do an EARLY AM hunt, prepare all your gear and everything else you need before you go to sleep. We aren't exactly the sharpest tools in the shed come 4AM.

Use 3 detectors at once-your electronic one and your two eyes. Many are the times I have found cash, gold chains, earrings, etc. by just "watchin' where I'm goin". NEVER follow the coil. :cool:

My best advice, is if you are using a Bounty Hunter, Fisher f2, Ace 150/250/350, or any other budget detector, upgrade to a deeper machine asap. You are missing a lot of goodies that are just out of reach of your 6-8 inch depth... and the deep stuff is the old stuff. Tesoro Vaquero is only like $400 and it goes deep. Tesoro Tejon a lot of guys claim is the deepest machine they have ever used... about $600.

Back
Top Bottom