Finally tracked down the owner

1willi4

My dad and his family lived and farmed this tract of land until 1959. My grandfather practically fell over dead and it was too much for my 15 year old dad and his mom to take care of. They sold the land and moved to town. It's been vacant ever since and the house was torn down 20 years ago. The property has changed hands several times and has been owned by a local church wanting to relocate there for the past 10 or so years. This church is so small that I can never find anyone there to ask to hunt the property. Neither do they have a phone number nor do I know anyone who attends the church.

The church is just a few blocks out of my way when leaving work. Last night I went by there and caught the pastor there. We chatted for a minute, I forgot to mention that my uncle pastured that church 60 years ago. I told him who I was, who my uncle was and my history of that property and asked if I could hunt it. He not only said yes but was thrilled for me to connect to family property since I'm the last living relative with the family last name.

This afternoon I'm going by there for my first hunt. I'm over the moon excited. I'd love to find an old family relic or something. Pray for success!!

Last edited:
Last time a pastor gave me permission the owner of the building and two other guys ran me off stating the church only leases the property. ...good luck on your hunt

Good luck . I had a similar experience in my family . Some land that had been in the family since the late 1700s was sold off , :mad: thats a whole other story . Well ,a charter school got some of the pasture , and a church got the house . I went to the charter school to see if I could hunt the field , boy they got greedy real quick . I didn't even ask the church as that property was grown up pretty bad . Maybe I'll get another chance later on .

I managed to get out there for about 2 hours on Thursday afternoon. It's very grown up with stick stubble everywhere. So hunting was a little slow.

This is the first time I have never found a single coin. Not even a crusty penny.

What I did find was kind of interesting...clock parts....everywhere. It was like they ran over clocks with lawn mowers or something. I probably dug 25 different parts to clocks. By no means am I giving up though. I'll be back out there ASAP. Most likely this afternoon. Thanks for all the encouragement. You guys are a blessing.

Back
Top Bottom