coins dropped in river

Glennz

Elite Member
I was wondering how far a keg of coins might flow down a river or the coins by themselves..

the coins would be ether aluminum or brass.. any ideas? I'm going searching tomorrow. I remain optimistic and would love to find one.

Impossible to say. So much would depend on the speed and turbulance of the water flow, the surface of the bottom of the river, what kind of debris gets washed down the river, flooding, river channel changes, etc.

Yeah...for sure they will be downstream someplace though! I guess I'd hit the eddys, also strainers to see if they got hung up there with the rest of the floating flotsam..if the barrel was well sealed, and a recent toss, theyd be right in the first few strainers...if it sunk, it would sooner or later roll along the bottom and get hung up somewhere...
Mud.

Way too many variables. Eventually they will end up in the ocean or lake where the river ends. Can you give details on the river?

BCD

my guess is it is in the ocean. It changes soo much and being all gravel it will be impossible to find. thought there is always a chance... I think I did find a piece of native silver though... or molybdenum, one or the other.. and a modern penny :P

The coins were dumped in probably the mid-late 40s if they were actually dumped. Some day I will find a colony coin.

12804680_488895337977104_657583943043084004_n.jpg

Like has been stated too many variables for a good guess , they would leave a long trail to follow , certainly not all together . A keg of aluminum or brass coins , lost in a river in Alaska ? I would have expected gold or silver .
HH

Like has been stated too many variables for a good guess , they would leave a long trail to follow , certainly not all together . A keg of aluminum or brass coins , lost in a river in Alaska ? I would have expected gold or silver .
HH

They weren't "lost" they were intentionally dumped rumor has it (it is not known if it did happen but it is documented)

google Alaska Bingles... it is in any red book as well

Back
Top Bottom