just curious.. who takes pepper spray out in field?

I could have used some pepper spray yesterday. I was on my knees, having just cut a large plug for a deep target at an abandoned house in a bad neighborhood. I heard a loud bark right on my heels and jumped to my feet to discover a large Pit Bull who was quite angry with me. Just as I was pulling the Ruger LCP from my back pocket my hunting buddy gave him a big squirt of Saber Red to the mug. He took off like his face was on fire...oh, i guess it was.

We had to quickly vacate when the dogs owner came to investigate why his dog had red foam all over his face, he was a little pissed, like we made his dog an a$$4ole.

Lots of keyboard commandos on here. I'm not anti-gun, and I am a gun owner.
Has anyone here ever shot another person in self-defense while out detecting, and what was the outcome? Legal issues?

Lots of keyboard commandos on here. I'm not anti-gun, and I am a gun owner. Has anyone here ever shot another person in self-defense while out detecting, and what was the outcome? Legal issues?

The answer to those questions depends where you live. Many states have laws that protect those that are forced to defend themselves with a firearm. Yes, if you are involved in a shooting, you can expect to need a lawyer. Here in Oklahoma, we have a Make My Day law allowing us to protect our "castle", and we have a Stand Your Ground law which protects us from prosecution should we fight instead of flee.

Some parts of the country are still very deeply entrenched in the idea that it is OUR responsibility to provide for our own protection. I live in one of those States. Research of law enforcement response times to violent crimes indicates I have made a good decision in choosing to provide for my own protection.

I will not defend stuff with an armed response, if they want it, they can have it, but I will defend my life with an armed response.

It is really very simple. Many choose to provide for their own protection. Some view it as a responsibility to themselves, and to their loved ones. Some people decide to rely on others should the need arise for protection. To each their own.

In the late 1970s, until the mid 1980s, I worked for a convenience store group as a 'supervisor' (meaning general flunky). I worked on the equipment, minor repairs to the buildings, kept the lawns mowed, etc. I also was in charge of some of the hiring and overseeing the employees. I also inventoried the stores often and made runs to the bank to deposit money. At that time I carried a little .25 ACP pistol. It wasn't much for fire-power; but would maybe deter someone. I practiced with it and could easily hit the vital spots at about 15 feet. In 1980, I began detecting. I carried the little .25 with me always unless I went into some building or area that was restricted. I did not have a ccw permit back then. My boss knew I carried, and several of the police in the city knew about it. I was told that if I did get picked up for carrying a gun to call my boss and let the lawyers take care of it. As was stated a few posts ago, I'd much rather have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it. Luckily, I never needed it. I was careful to use different routes when transporting money to the bank. I'm starting to detect again, and in a different state. I will carry my .380 when I go out; and yes, I have a ccw permit now. I'm too old to try to fight someone, try to run, or beat them with the detector, or stick 'em with the ice pick and knife that I dig with. So, I'll just hope that I never have a need for the .380.
I wasn't detecting, but was hammering-out a gasket for a pump cover once. Three men were sitting just across the alley behind the convenience drinking and talking. One of them started telling me that I was making too much noise and to stop the hammering. I just kept on, saying nothing. Two of them got up and started across the alley toward me cussing. I had the .25 in my back pocket and planned to wait until they were 10 to 15 feet from me before pulling it out. Yes, I would have used it if necessary. But, the police intervened. When the two men were just stepping onto the convenience store property, a police car drove down the alley and stopped behind them. When the car stopped, they did too. The officers said a person called and said they were seeing some men sitting out in public drinking. After some loud cussing and refusing to shut up, two of them was placed into the cop car and taken away!

Has anyone here ever shot another person in self-defense while out detecting, and what was the outcome? Legal issues?

A member on here was shot while detecting . If all you got is a sharpened Lesche and slap someone across the hand in defense and their fingers fall off you could still have legal issues. But its still better than being dead.

Last edited:
I carry a pepper spray/tear gas combo for detecting and keep it with me other places, too. I like to keep it right in my purse or on my toolbelt when detecting. Thankfully, I haven't had to use it yet.

You can be convicted of a FELONY for use of pepper spray or a stun gun just as easily as if you use a firearm. Might as well use the tool best suited for the job.

I have the Utah CC permit but it isn't valid in the State Of Maryland where I live.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just hunt with guys that are slow n cumbsy... just remember all you need to do is run faster than the person your with!!

I just hunt with guys that are slow n cumbsy... just remember all you need to do is run faster than the person your with!!

That's cold...

Seriously though, we only get one life, and when we lose it, we can't get another one. Even if you don't get killed, the quality of your life can be severely altered. I can't see trusting my most prized possession in the hands of a complete stranger, or relying on the police to arrive to save the day, just like on TV.

Been a lot of reports on the news these past few months, of teenagers play a real disturbing game, the 'Knockout game'. The goal, is to walk up on a complete stranger, a knock them out with one punch. Apparently there have been 7 deaths related to this 'game' so far this year. These children are some serious cowards, their victims are mostly elderly or handicapped (a blind man?). The attacks a caught on video, posted on the internet. They have to know they will eventually get caught, but figure they aren't going to prison, being only teens. Personally, I view it as an act of terror, and they should be charged as such, and treated as adults. The parents should also be charged with something, certainly didn't do their job, or been responsible.

I have a CC permit as well, but don't carry when I'm detecting. No telling where I might stop to detect, including school playgrounds and sports fields. In the states where I detect, it's illegal to have a firearm on public school property.

I have a CC permit as well, but don't carry when I'm detecting. No telling where I might stop to detect, including school playgrounds and sports fields. In the states where I detect, it's illegal to have a firearm on public school property.

Do have have a question or are you just making a statement?

I carry OC - an ASP Street Defender. It's silver and looks like a Mini Maglite. They're about $40, and well worth it.

I usually open carry a Glock 31 as well - but it's good to have options. I used the OC on a dog a couple of weeks ago to great effect, and was very glad I had it.

There are tons of situations where I'll have my OC in my hand and ready to go, where it would be wholly inappropriate to have my hand on my pistol.

Sounds like a statement to me.

I have the same problem - schools are generally off-limits to me because I don't want to have to disarm to go there. Luckily, VA law allows me to just put it in my glovebox when I do hunt there, but I much prefer other places.

I could have used some pepper spray yesterday. I was on my knees, having just cut a large plug for a deep target at an abandoned house in a bad neighborhood. I heard a loud bark right on my heels and jumped to my feet to discover a large Pit Bull who was quite angry with me. Just as I was pulling the Ruger LCP from my back pocket my hunting buddy gave him a big squirt of Saber Red to the mug. He took off like his face was on fire...oh, i guess it was.

We had to quickly vacate when the dogs owner came to investigate why his dog had red foam all over his face, he was a little pissed, like we made his dog an a$$4ole.

Careful with the foam - if you ever had to use it on a human, an attacker can wipe off a nice handful of it and give it back to you. That's why I prefer spray.

I've never had to pull the trigger, and hope I never do. I have had several instances where I was glad I had it with me, and a couple where I drew the weapon intending to fire it, but the other person decided it was best to find somewhere else to be. I'm glad they did - the last thing I want to do is hurt someone.

You can be convicted of a FELONY for use of pepper spray or a stun gun just as easily as if you use a firearm. Might as well use the tool best suited for the job.

You should absolutely know your state's laws regarding use of force. Even so, there are many circumstances that would legally warrant use of OC spray in most jurisdictions, that would not legally warrant employing a handgun.

As I've said before - it's good to have options.

More of a caution/reminder that us gun-toting MD'ers could find ourselves in really hot water if we're not careful . . . Before I started MD'ing recently, I would have never had a need to stop at a school or playground, so I regularly had a firearm with or on me. Now I have to consciously remind myself to not have a firearm with me when I stop at these places. Worse than being approached by the police because I was MD'ing a school would be him finding me with a firearm there.

Mark

Back
Top Bottom