I wore a hole right through my Garrett Pinpointer! *UPDATED*

Stiffwrists

Elite Member
I was cleaning the dirt off my pinpointer and noticed I've worn clean through the tip. I've had the pinpointer less than a year. I must be too rough on it. I called Garrett and they issued a RMA number and will be fixing it under warranty. Can't beat that!! I put it in the mail today.

UPDATE: FedEx just delivered my repaired pinpointer. I'm pretty confident that they just put my serial number on a brand new unit. Spectacular service. Now I need to go get some protection for this one. :D

Attachments

• 20180214_125358_resized.jpg
    20180214_125358_resized.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 974
  • 20180214_125404_resized.jpg
    20180214_125404_resized.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 877
  • 20180305_165235_resized.jpg
    20180305_165235_resized.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 593
  • 20180305_165245_resized.jpg
    20180305_165245_resized.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 565
Last edited:
I was cleaning the dirt off my pinpointer and noticed I've worn clean through the tip....

SW, they make shovels that you can use to dig finds up with....no need to use your pointer, my friend!! :laughing: :laughing:

Good on Garrett for covering it under warranty - above and beyond customer support, truly top notch! While you’re waiting for that baby to come back in it’s shiny new casing, send a PM to Skippy SH13 and ask him about the tip protectors he sells for Garrett pinpointers - well worth the small investment!

Here’s a thread from a little while back where he mentioned them: http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=254012

You know, I bought a Garrett carrot not long ago and had thought about asking on this forum if I really did need the tip protectors I've seen for sale. I guess that answers my question! I do use it to 'root around' in the hole to get closer to the target, so I will be buying the tip protectors.

I see a lot of people use the end of their Pro pointer to dig, poke, scrape, etc. and I always cringe. In the end they are a small machine and I prefer to use my Lesche for that stuff since they are made for it and a fraction of the price.
As for Garrett I am not sunrises at all that they are helping you out. Their customer service is top notch.

Jeez! When you get the fixed one back just grab some plastidip or spray on bedliner to protect your tip. They also sell those rubber/plastic chair leg covers at Lowe's/Home Depot pretty cheap. There was even a guy on here a while back who was sending out "tip protectors" for free. He got them from his work.

You know, I bought a Garrett carrot not long ago and had thought about asking on this forum if I really did need the tip protectors I've seen for sale. I guess that answers my question! I do use it to 'root around' in the hole to get closer to the target, so I will be buying the tip protectors.

Someone here was giving them away free, just cover shipping.

My carrot has a chair cap vinyl/rubber tip, & is wrapped in 3M electrical tape the rest of the way back to edge of battery cap.

I was cleaning the dirt off my pinpointer and noticed I've worn clean through the tip. I've had the pinpointer less than a year. I must be too rough on it. I called Garrett and they issued a RMA number and will be fixing it under warranty. Can't beat that!! I put it in the mail today.

Garrett customer service it TOP notch! The Garrett Carrot AT Pro Pointer is my favorite pointer as well!

I see a lot of people use the end of their Pro pointer to dig, poke, scrape, etc. and I always cringe. In the end they are a small machine and I prefer to use my Lesche for that stuff since they are made for it and a fraction of the price.
As for Garrett I am not sunrises at all that they are helping you out. Their customer service is top notch.

I don't know. That's what they are built for. They should be able to withstand typical use like that. I bet the vast majority of people poke around with them in hole. If anything, they need to upgrade their material. My guess is their using ABS or a softer plastic that wears out easily. Switching to a high grade, more wear proof, plastic could fix this issue. My AT Pin Pointer is about ready to do the same in one year of use. When you attach "AT" to a product you expect durability among rocks, hard ground, whatever it may be. That's their selling point, regardless of how fragile the inner workings of the instrument are.

Looks like it was tied to the bumper and drug around for a year.!

Pretty impressive that they would warranty it.

Don't you get a lot of falsing when you push that hard on it?

Looks like it was tied to the bumper and drug around for a year.!

Pretty impressive that they would warranty it.

Don't you get a lot of falsing when you push that hard on it?

It has worked flawless. Really love the product. I guess the pictures speak for themselves, but I don't feel like I abused it. I do like to poke aound in the dirt with it, but nothing over the top. Had no issues with it falsing. Great product and top notch service and warranty.

Swiffwrists, Just go to home depot and get a 3/4 in chair leg vinyl tip and silicon it on and you will be good to go. The new First Texas pointers have that upgraded plastic in them to prevent wear.

Swiffwrists, Just go to home depot and get a 3/4 in chair leg vinyl tip and silicon it on and you will be good to go. The new First Texas pointers have that upgraded plastic in them to prevent wear.

Thanks. I will definitely do that. And maybe use Copytechs suggestion and use some electrical tape.

I don't know. That's what they are built for. They should be able to withstand typical use like that. I bet the vast majority of people poke around with them in hole. If anything, they need to upgrade their material. My guess is their using ABS or a softer plastic that wears out easily. Switching to a high grade, more wear proof, plastic could fix this issue. My AT Pin Pointer is about ready to do the same in one year of use. When you attach "AT" to a product you expect durability among rocks, hard ground, whatever it may be. That's their selling point, regardless of how fragile the inner workings of the instrument are.

Harder plastic would be more likely to break or crack when dropped. Softer is more flexible and less likely to crack or break. Kind of a catch 22 here which is the lesser evil. Either way you look at it plastic vs rock plastic will always loose over time no matter how hard it is. The cheap tip protectors solve the wear issue but nothing you can add would solve the breaking or cracking issue. And let’s be honest here. Pinpointers are metal detectors you wouldn’t do the same thing with your coil would you. If so your coil would wear out too.

Harder plastic would be more likely to break or crack when dropped. Softer is more flexible and less likely to crack or break. Kind of a catch 22 here which is the lesser evil. Either way you look at it plastic vs rock plastic will always loose over time no matter how hard it is. The cheap tip protectors solve the wear issue but nothing you can add would solve the breaking or cracking issue. And let’s be honest here. Pinpointers are metal detectors you wouldn’t do the same thing with your coil would you. If so your coil would wear out too.

Not polycarbonate. It's a stronger, harder plastic, that's more durable. I've done tests on other products that are ABS vs PC. There's a big difference. And PC is less likely to crack than soft plastics like ABS. Just because one plastic is hard and one is soft does not mean one cracks easier than the other. ABS is soft and it cracks a lot easier than other stuff. I'm just saying they should look into it (their competitors have).

Back
Top Bottom