What to reply to "I hope you're not digging any holes"

....I also dress like this when out hunting in public.....:laughing:

If you dress like that Mud even donuts might not help :laughing::laughing::laughing:
mudclowning1.jpg

The "best" , when hunting spots like this, is to go hunting at night. Then you never have to deal with looky-loos such as that. So peaceful. So serene.

Yes, I could go at night but that area is full of dodgy homeless people so I'd rather stay on the safe side. The council area I was hunting in was one of the more relaxed ones when it comes to regulations about digging. I guess you have to be lucky to meet the nice council guys. There's one park where I've done quite well in the past, where the maintenance crew don't mind me digging.

Two or three months ago I was hunting a park, when a ranger pulled up in his car and said "I hope you're not digging any holes". I didn't know what to respond, because only a minute ago I was digging a plug so I wasn't sure if he had seen me or not. I just said "In the sand and dirt I do", to which he nodded his head and drove off. I guess it worked

Now, that was when I was using a smaller shovel which would fit into my finds pouch without anyone seeing it. But now I've got a lesche (not that that's a bad thing), but the handle of the lesche sticks out of the finds bag, so I don't think I'll be able to get away with saying I'm not digging (when he can clearly see the handle of my digger).

So I was wondering what would be the best thing to say to this question/statement (I've been asked about this more the once, but thankfully not yet with my lesche). And saying something smarta$$ like "I'm not digging holes, I'm digging plugs" would probably not be the best approach. And I'm also not sure if the ranger would appreciate a tutorial on responsible plug cutting. :lol:

I say, "Never, only flaps. Thanks for checking though. I wouldn't want holes left by someone else to be blamed on me!"

Well if its a cop that says " I hope you aren't digging any holes " ....you can just say " I hope you aren't eating any doughnuts ". That should resolve any problems you might have :laughing:

Maybe get a toy 9mm auto pistol and fit it over the handle of the Lesche. And just say that your not digging, you're "coin shooting".......

I've hunted many parks over the last 10 years...I don't understand. Is it legal to dig a plug or disturb the ground, or is it not? Who wants to be looking over there shoulder all the time? If it's off limits for digging the turf, I'd find another spot, it's so much more relaxing hunting with no pressure, don't ya think?

Then I got news for you amc-rulz: Give up all park turf hunting. Because yes: It is not legal to disturb/alter/ deface/ dig , etc... in ANY park anywhere. Even where you "have permission", that merely means you didn't ask the right people, with the right word combinations.

Thus ... like nose-picking, sometimes it's better to just be discreet in your timing. If you want to call that "looking over your shoulders ", fine then: Look over your shoulders.

Our city parks have this stated:

"Plants and animals are protected - do not remove or molest"

So makes you wonder. If I'm cutting a plug am I molesting the grass/plant?

Several years back I was hunting a park and police car pulled up and waved me over. I'm like oh boy now what? I walked over and talked to him through the passenger window. He was interested in detecting and had some questions. That was cool.

Never lie to law enforcement. Like someone said, they could have been watching you, and wanted to see if you would lie to them. Nowadays, everyone has video recordings of everything, so if you lie to him/her, and they have you on video digging holes, you could really be in trouble.

You might try responding with: "Why do you ask?" Then their response will let you know if you are in trouble, and you can figure out how to answer, as in, "I did not know that, thanks for the information!" and smile and wave. Admit to nothing, though! You have the right to remain silent...exercise your right!

This was an old park, and I was looking for old coins so a screwdriver would probably not have been the best option. I do use a screwdriver on shallow targets, and also in one council area which is very strict about digging.

I use a dull rounded screwdriver. I took a file to it and is only good for prying targets now. It doesn’t ding of scratch my targets of used properly. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never lie to law enforcement. Like someone said, they could have been watching you, and wanted to see if you would lie to them. Nowadays, everyone has video recordings of everything, so if you lie to him/her, and they have you on video digging holes, you could really be in trouble.

You might try responding with: "Why do you ask?" Then their response will let you know if you are in trouble, and you can figure out how to answer, as in, "I did not know that, thanks for the information!" and smile and wave. Admit to nothing, though! You have the right to remain silent...exercise your right!

That's exactly why I didn't want to lie, you never if they've been watching you, or if they got a call out from someone.

I had basically the same thing happen to me. I then showed him a plug I had dug and replaced then showed him the trash I had in my finds pouch. Nails, glass, pieces of coke cans, etc.

He thanked me for getting the trash out of the park and told me to have a nice day.

if i pulled that move with my wife she would have me put into a home .
But i can see the park ranger just giving a little wave and jumping back in his truck in seconds . Lol

prob works like this ...

Ranger : 😡 sir ! We do not allow digging here .
Mud : 😳 mm.m m mudpuppy ... My name is mudpuppy
ranger. : 😠 ( uncomfortable silence)
rule #1 !!!! First person to talk loses!
Ranger : 😐 we have rules against digging .
Mud : 😜 my mom made me pancakes for breakfast
ranger : 🤔 (uncomfortable silence)
mud : 🙄
ranger : Well .. Don't dig any big holes and have a nice day sir .

roflmao

Good political answer, I don't know what I would have said but saying something which does not get you in any troubles with the authorities is a good answer.

I reply that once I find and pinpoint my target, I insert my digger just below it and lift enough to make a crack in the ground. I tell them I slide my fingers in and remove the item and close the crack back. That generally satisfies them.

OR you can tell them thatSOMEBODY ELSE dug the hole and you are simply filling it.

What I did on ALL of my properties that I detect on, is contact who ever is in charge, and make a formal request for permission and include the info on this website http://www.ohiometaldetecting.com/how-to.html

Normally I do it via email, and once they reply with consent, you can print that email out and take it with you for a permission slip.

I have not been turned down once after they see how proper plugs are cut. You are not "digging", you are cutting a plug.

You mean private properties ? Or public properties too ?

Both -- Because "public" is not really "public" -- The city, or someone takes care of it.

That is why some "public" parks have signs that say "No Skate Boards" or "No Fires" or "No Monster Trucks"

No harm in asking, if you find a park and ask the city, and they tell you "Do whatever you want" -- then when someone complains, or the cops show up, you'll have proof that the city said it was just fine and they have no control over it...

Back
Top Bottom