• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Here's why I dig pull-tabs:

sandgroper

Elite Member
Headed out for a short hunt to a nearby park today, where every weekend a market is held. I’ve done well here in the past, so I was expecting at least a couple of bucks in clad. Didn’t do too bad today, and within an hour I managed just under $20 and a 2014 US penny (with the ’new’ shield design that I was wondering about a few days). I also dug quite a few pull tabs today, and right towards the end of the hunt I got another signal (12:14 on the CTX), so I was expecting either another pull tab or 10c. To my delight, I saw a glint of gold in the dirt, my third gold ring for this park :)

This one is another 9k ring, and weighs 2.08g, so that’s about $40AUD melt value. Unfortunately the mower beat me to it, but hey, gold is gold, even if it’s just scrap! :) #1 FTY

Attachments

• IMG_2119.jpg
    IMG_2119.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 916
  • IMG_2118.jpg
    IMG_2118.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 834
  • IMG_2120.jpg
    IMG_2120.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 854
Congrats on the gold! Nice finds... definitely worth the pull-tabs. :grin:

Very nice work!! I'm still hoping to find my first gold. This seems like it will be the hardest to find. Right now I just dig solid signals here and there in the pull tab range hoping to get lucky.

They one ones that really seems to show up solid for me are when it's a nickel or the pull tab where the ring is by itself or not covered by the tab. Hopefully I will eventually be able to tell the difference between good and worth a dig and knowing it's for sure not gold.

Nice score! Sounds like a Park I would go back to!

Yes gold does work even if scrap. Better than a pull tab. Congrats.

Last year I got 53 pieces of gold and EXACTLY 1351 pull tabs.

Please tell me you were just joking about the “exact” part. I don’t doubt the number but , man, that must have taken a long time to count.

A big congratulations on the gold ring.:thumbsup: I could not agree with you more dig the pull tabs it doesn't take long you never know what you will find until you dig it or what you will pass up. That is how I found my first gold ring also digging it all.

Congrats on the gold! Nice finds... definitely worth the pull-tabs. :grin:

Thanks! It gets very boring, digging all those tabs, but I reckon definitely worth it :)

Yes gold does work even if scrap. Better than a pull tab. Congrats.

Last year I got 53 pieces of gold and EXACTLY 1351 pull tabs.

Thanks Scuba! That's a pretty good gold to pull-tab ratio. This is my first gold ring in seven or eight months, and I've dug hundreds of tabs since then.

Nice gold! Congrats

Thank you Jason!

Congrats!!!

Thanks! :)

Very nice work!! I'm still hoping to find my first gold. This seems like it will be the hardest to find. Right now I just dig solid signals here and there in the pull tab range hoping to get lucky.

They one ones that really seems to show up solid for me are when it's a nickel or the pull tab where the ring is by itself or not covered by the tab. Hopefully I will eventually be able to tell the difference between good and worth a dig and knowing it's for sure not gold.

Thanks! Keep digging the trash, the gold is out there, somewhere, it took me a while to get my first dirt gold as well! Good luck :)

Please tell me you were just joking about the “exact” part. I don’t doubt the number but , man, that must have taken a long time to count.

Thanks, I'll definitely be going back, no doubt about that! As to Scuba counting his pull tabs, I think he did it for a contest if I remember correctly.

A big congratulations on the gold ring.:thumbsup: I could not agree with you more dig the pull tabs it doesn't take long you never know what you will find until you dig it or what you will pass up. That is how I found my first gold ring also digging it all.

Thanks! I hate digging tabs, but I love digging gold so I dig the tabs anyway! :)

You are right. The mower got that one. It is still gold. It is yours now. Good job.. KEN :D

Thanks, I reckon it may have been quite a nice ring at one stage.

Nope. I had a contest on here and gave away a Sunspot Stealth with a carbon fiber handle, counted them all!

And the reward I got from those tabs:

Most all of that gold was out of the Detroit river. Close to you probably.

It looks like old gold too? Really nice find! I have not found gold since 2016 :wow: good luck in 2018!

Thanks! Not sure if it's old, but it hadn't been lying there for long because it was barely buried in the turf. HH :)

Gold! Nice finds!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you! :grin:

Nice hallmarks on that ring :thumbsup:

Congrats on the gold :)

Maybe you can straighten it out on a mandrel.

Thanks GS! I don't have a mandrel unfortunately (I should get one, they're quite cheap on eBay), so I used some pliers to form it back into a ring. But I don't think this ring can be saved, it's been cut on one side and has a few cracks, I guess it'll go to scrap then. But gold is gold :)

Back
Top Bottom