Nox 600 Accuracy Pin Pointing?

Seaking406

Elite Member
Greetings again. After a lot of successful hole digging in the past few days, I'm noticing that the device's pin pointing accuracy might be off, or am I interpreting it wrongly!?

When I find a target, I press the PP button and move the coil over the target until I get a full signal... But when looking down at the coil, exactly which part of the coil is the target sitting exactly under? So far I've seen it being either in front or behind the attachment bolt, or slightly to the side of it.. close but not quite precise... Pushing the Carrot against the soil shows me where it is under the sod and it's usually not quite where I would think it should be from what I have read and seen in tutorials...

Is there something I might be missing or not understanding about this process? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I'm having to dig bigger holes with the Nox than my other machines, with either 1.5 or 1.75 firmware. I feel your pain.

I usually just find the center of the target in one direction and make a mental note, then turn 90 degrees and repeat, making an X.

I usually just find the center of the target in one direction and make a mental note, then turn 90 degrees and repeat, making an X.

Basically what I am doing as well but still not getting as tight a pin point target as I would with the ACE250 for example...

I'd like to dig as small a hole as possible but the narrow spade I use will make a small but at times I discover that the coin is actually just to the side of where I thought it should be.. sometimes, precisely where it should have been..

Something to live with I suppose..

Thanks again to all who responded.

Cheers

You can detune the detector a bit by moving the coil closer to the target and then hitting the pinpoint button again. This will ratchet down the signal and help you zoom in on the target a bit more.

If you tend to hunt a lot of trashy areas you might want to look into the 6" coil. Not only can it get in between junk targets like a laser beam, but a side benefit is that it makes pinpointing much easier.

You can detune the detector a bit by moving the coil closer to the target and then hitting the pinpoint button again. This will ratchet down the signal and help you zoom in on the target a bit more.

If you tend to hunt a lot of trashy areas you might want to look into the 6" coil. Not only can it get in between junk targets like a laser beam, but a side benefit is that it makes pinpointing much easier.

That doesn't seem to be as effective with the Nox as with my other machines, I don't know why. It helps, I just don't know if it's much or wishful thinking.

Thanks for the info.. I did try that 'closer to the ground' but didn't pay enough attention to the difference. I will certainly give it a better try next time.

As for the 6" coil, still can't find one here in Canada yet.. I will hopefully be going back to Florida in Feb next year if I get a clean bill of health so hopefully find one there.. ;)

Thanks again

My TRX laid down on me last week and then my Garrett pin pointer quit too. I use the cross pattern to find the target center and it works great. White's is sending me a new TRX, but if you really want to learn how to pinpoint with the Nox leave your pinpointer home for a week or so. :lol:

My TRX laid down on me last week and then my Garrett pin pointer quit too. I use the cross pattern to find the target center and it works great. White's is sending me a new TRX, but if you really want to learn how to pinpoint with the Nox leave your pinpointer home for a week or so. :lol:

A "killer" tector friend I've known for years doesn't use pinpoint mode, just the x-mode from different angles and does great. I'll use that myself and try.

Going from a vx3 with dead on pinpointing........to the nox ...... it's got pinpoint issues ...... this is on sport's fields/ park's, type hunting........The beach hunts, no issue.

Going from a vx3 with dead on pinpointing........to the nox ...... it's got pinpoint issues ...... this is on sport's fields/ park's, type hunting........The beach hunts, no issue.

Doesn't the VX3 have a centrifugal coil? If so, that would explain the difference.

Greetings again. After a lot of successful hole digging in the past few days, I'm noticing that the device's pin pointing accuracy might be off, or am I interpreting it wrongly!? .. ..
Is there something I might be missing or not understanding about this process? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

You're going to need to watch another video,
but it may answer your question.
I presume you are running the latest software.
https://youtu.be/3-VXVu5f_pk

You're going to need to watch another video,
but it may answer your question.
I presume you are running the latest software.
https://youtu.be/3-VXVu5f_pk

This video remains disturbing. No way this should happen. I thought when Minelab saw it there would be an official statement or another update. Threads about shaft wobble and this is acceptable? Just flat out horrible.

X2 for me as well. I don’t dig any bigger plugs with the Equinox as compared to any other detector I have used over the years.

You always need to pinpoint from two directions.

If a coin is lying like this: \ and you sweep in from the right to pinpoint, it will pinpoint to the right of where the actual target is. If you pinpoint from the left, you will get a better location of the target.

If a coin is lying like this: / and you sweep in from the left it will pinpoint to the left of where the actual target is. If you pin point from the right, you will get a better location of the target.

Turning 90 degrees and pinpointing again adds to the accuracy of location.

Back
Top Bottom