Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Antiques Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > All About Detectors

Notices

Old 10-11-2018, 06:20 PM
Elite Member

Default Earbuds & Equinox 600

I tried a random pair of bluetooth earbuds that I have had for quite some time. They matched and paired with my detector.I did not notice any lag while testing them.

Good bad or ugly has anybody tried this with any success or is there problems with delay ?

Old 10-11-2018, 08:12 PM
Supporter

Depends on your swing speed. I saw a huge delay, but I've also detected with people that swing like they're caught in a time distortion bubble, where I could run to WaWa and back by the time they get a couple swings in, so in that case I don't think the latency would matter that much.

Old 10-11-2018, 09:11 PM
Elite Member

Tried some. Terrible lag. Got some gray ghosts amphibians now but too bulky. Im used to Deus wireless backphones. Gonna try some waterproof ear buds with Equinox waterproof connecter that I saw on Ebay. I hunt in pretty remote areas so internal speaker has been my go to anyway even though it acts weird sometimes when it gets wet

XP Deus Minelab Equinox Silver Totals-Spanish 18-Capped Bust 1-Seated 40-Oldest-Late 1600s Cobs-Louis XIV 4 Sols-Cut Pine Tree Shilling- Oldest US-1830 Bust Dime-Best Finds-1852 Gold $1-Silver Pomander circa 1700
https://metaldetectingforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=427435&d=1540594742

Old 10-11-2018, 09:54 PM
Elite Member

I use some from time to time. There is a lag, but I work around it.

BCD

Old 10-12-2018, 12:58 AM
Supporter

Originally Posted by ChrisMD View post
....I could run to WaWa and back by the time they get a couple swings in....
Wawa is King!! Hit one on the way out of town from the farm hunt, because thereís no way Iím leaving Jersey without a WaWa run! Itís darn near the only thing I miss about New Jersey...Ohio is a third world state in my book until it gets a WaWa

Ok, sorry for the off topic...back on topic here: I obviously donít have direct experience with the EQ, but with older earbuds, itís possible that they werenít aptX low latency equipped. Folks who are more tech savvy than me might correct me, but the last I checked, it was easy to find aptX earbuds, but itís very difficult to find aptX low latency earbuds at a reasonable price. For some reason, the low latency technology is currently more commonly found associated with headphones. As ChrisMD noted, swing speed is an important factor on whether you can get away with regular aptX or not. With a faster swing speed, even a 100-300ms delay becomes noticeable in the position of a target. Slower swing speed, and the same equipment seems to provide instantaneous signal transmission.

Oldest coin: 1853 Braided Hair Large Cent (Honorable Mention: 1857 Flying Eagle Cent)
Oldest silver: 1861 Seated Liberty Dime
Oldest foreign coin: 1859 Canadian Queen Victoria Large Cent

AT Max/Equinox 800, Pro Pointer I & II
Detecting Since 4/2017 - Addicted Since 5/2017

Old 10-12-2018, 01:01 AM

Samsung level u pro earbuds are low latency and are pretty cheap price wise...

Old 10-12-2018, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by OutlawDetectors View post
+1

Lesche Sampson 31Ē T-Handle; Double Serration (T31DS). Luck.

Old 10-12-2018, 02:09 PM
Elite Member

Depends on your swing speed. I saw a huge delay, but I've also detected with people that swing like they're caught in a time distortion bubble, where I could run to WaWa and back by the time they get a couple swings in, so in that case I don't think the latency would matter that much.
Originally Posted by Toasted View post
Tried some. Terrible lag. Got some gray ghosts amphibians now but too bulky. Im used to Deus wireless backphones. Gonna try some waterproof ear buds with Equinox waterproof connecter that I saw on Ebay. I hunt in pretty remote areas so internal speaker has been my go to anyway even though it acts weird sometimes when it gets wet
Originally Posted by BufordCityDawg View post
I use some from time to time. There is a lag, but I work around it.

BCD
Originally Posted by AirmetTango View post
Wawa is King!! Hit one on the way out of town from the farm hunt, because thereís no way Iím leaving Jersey without a WaWa run! Itís darn near the only thing I miss about New Jersey...Ohio is a third world state in my book until it gets a WaWa

Ok, sorry for the off topic...back on topic here: I obviously donít have direct experience with the EQ, but with older earbuds, itís possible that they werenít aptX low latency equipped. Folks who are more tech savvy than me might correct me, but the last I checked, it was easy to find aptX earbuds, but itís very difficult to find aptX low latency earbuds at a reasonable price. For some reason, the low latency technology is currently more commonly found associated with headphones. As ChrisMD noted, swing speed is an important factor on whether you can get away with regular aptX or not. With a faster swing speed, even a 100-300ms delay becomes noticeable in the position of a target. Slower swing speed, and the same equipment seems to provide instantaneous signal transmission.
Originally Posted by OutlawDetectors View post
Originally Posted by OzarkDetector View post
+1
Thanks everybody for your input. The weather has definitely cool down considerably so the muffs will not be a problem.

Being that this is a new toy I was just experimenting with the earbuds that I have and which are about 5 years old. I will definitely look into a better pair of earbuds by Spring. Thanks again!

Old 10-13-2018, 01:20 AM

Use APTX Low Latency headphones/earbuds and lag is not a problem. Latency is <40ms. I use the Sennheiser CX 6.00 BT earbuds, which I like.

Old 10-14-2018, 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by Dubious View post
Use APTX Low Latency headphones/earbuds and lag is not a problem. Latency is <40ms. I use the Sennheiser CX 6.00 BT earbuds, which I like.

I'm going to give these a try soon... heard they sound pretty good...

Old 10-14-2018, 06:24 PM

That's it, exactly. If you swing normally, there will be a lag with non-LL headphones. But the experienced lag in inches is a function of the swing speed. This means that, if you wanted, you could use non-LL headphones and then, after the object is detected, slow the swing way down in order to see its location. Some time back, I tried that with APTX non-LL earbuds experimentally, and it seemed to work, although personally I would find it too cumbersome to detect that way.