Sea hunting with a MD and sharks?

2wheeler

This just popped into my head today. Since sharks are attuned to electrical disturbances in the water by their prey. Would a metal detector repel or attract them? Anyone have experiences when detecting and see a shark. if so did it leave or come closer to investigate? Just wondering.:?:

I don't think you have much to worry about... they would be more incline to check out your shiny scoop... I have heard only one report from a guy hunting in FL where a 14 foot tiger ripped his scoop from his hands... that happened years ago... now if you're wearing a chum bag I would be concerned ;) I have seen a few white sharks cruise by me when I was hunting the shores of cape cod... they do give you a thrill though when you see one ;)

Repels them...like some sort of electric eel force field, makes you invisible, they think you are another shark or stingray geezling around for shrimp.....also, on the same vein, detectors repel lightening too...on account of the negative air ions getting displaced by the magnetic field of the coil...sheesh! Tesla wrote about this even! Heard of the Tesla coil? Google up!

I've never once heard of a detectorist getting his calf muscle sucked off by a bullshark like a Buffalo Wild Wing, or knocked out of his Buster Browns by lightening either! So we are cool!...

You got a whole lot more to worry about than sharks or lightening! Like Wives! They are the number one killer of detectorists! Good thing if you are not married yet though, you will have a long and happy career! For some reason, like a shark or lightening, girls are not attracted to us at all! We are masked and not a target! Tesla was a bachelor if that tells you anything...
Mud

Good one :laughing:

I don't even own a MD yet, looking at the AT Pro, AT Gold, and the Sport.
Have a wife and kids, but the kids want to get into detecting so a plus for me.
On top of dirt biking, as in my handle states. My 11 year old twins and me ride and this will be there first year racing, for them. I figure I can take the detector along and search the grounds before the race. Got a love it.

I have heard this second hand from a friend that knows a detectorist that hunts at night. He says that the guy has told him stories about sharks bumping into him as he detects. :blink:

I don't think you have much to worry about... they would be more incline to check out your shiny scoop... I have heard only one report from a guy hunting in FL where a 14 foot tiger ripped his scoop from his hands... that happened years ago... now if you're wearing a chum bag I would be concerned ;) I have seen a few white sharks cruise by me when I was hunting the shores of cape cod... they do give you a thrill though when you see one ;)

Swam with a few sharks down south, but never a White, if I did encounter one it would most definitely require a diaper check!

Swam with a few sharks down south, but never a White, if I did encounter one it would most definitely require a diaper check!

They were juveniles.. 7 to 8 footers... if they were larger I would take up dry sand hunting :lol:

Repels them...like some sort of electric eel force field, makes you invisible, they think you are another shark or stingray geezling around for shrimp.....also, on the same vein, detectors repel lightening too...on account of the negative air ions getting displaced by the magnetic field of the coil...sheesh! Tesla wrote about this even! Heard of the Tesla coil? Google up!

I've never once heard of a detectorist getting his calf muscle sucked off by a bullshark like a Buffalo Wild Wing, or knocked out of his Buster Browns by lightening either! So we are cool!...

You got a whole lot more to worry about than sharks or lightening! Like Wives! They are the number one killer of detectorists! Good thing if you are not married yet though, you will have a long and happy career! For some reason, like a shark or lightening, girls are not attracted to us at all! We are masked and not a target! Tesla was a bachelor if that tells you anything...
Mud

Mister "freshwater hunter" you only need to worry about pollywogs what would you know about what we hunt in :lol:

Here is the story I mentioned in my post.

I have been using a White's PI since 1995. In that time I have noticed that fish do seem attracted to my coil - have had fresh and salt water fish drawn in by it. I have shut my machine off and they leave - turn back on and they come back - some hang around. Then some types hang around when I scoop or fan to get little bits of edibles. I do believe the pulse does attract them - I have a couple of fresh water spots that I have pulled some very large bass in - wished I had a spear gun. No sharks yet. I did meet a guy a few years back that said he was using a PI on gulf coast and was using a long handled scoop. He said a bunch of people were yelling from shore and then a life guard ran down where he was and started pointing and yelling - he said as he was removing his headphones to ask what the prob was - something ripped his scoop from his hand. After soiling himself - he quickly got out of the water. He was told that from what they could judge by the distance from tail to dorsal fin that it was about a 10 footer. He never saw his scoop again and he told me he moved up to CT. and has never water detected since. Was it the pulse or just the lure of the shinny scoop - who knows??

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?p=51825#post51825

I water hunt at night in the summer, never had any issues (quickly knocking on wood.) There has not been a shark attack in my state since the early 1900's, and generally i am not the only one in the water even late at night...

Back
Top Bottom