California 50's, 60's & 70's - What was it like?

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
I grew up near an Air Force town in middle, Georgia Robins, AFB. My dad and many of my friends parents worked there. Some had to move to California in the late 50's because of their job to be near large defense contractors in California.

They came back telling stories about California that were almost unbelievable to us back in Perry, Ga. Then after a 3 year stint in the army returning home in 1967 I was amazed at the music coming from California and England. Both seemed to dominate the rock music scene in the 60's and 70's. Nothing else like it in the county.

For those of you who lived in California it would be interesting to me to hear some of your stories from those times. California was so far ahead the rest of the US in almost everything. They were almost like a different mythical country.

We know it is not the same, now, but I don't wish to open up that debate I only want to know from some members who remember CA back then..

What kind of stories do you want to hear ? I grew up on the beach....

What kind of stories do you want to hear ? I grew up on the beach....

well maybe you cannot compare with other parts of the US but in the middle 50's California was light years ahead of Georgia in terms of new things and music etc. For instance, in Georgia in 1958 every family had at most 1 car. But my friends Ed and Jim and their mom and dad move to CA during that time period and they had to have four cars because Ed and Jim were 16 or 17 and mom and dad worked, he for the Air Force and she a Nurse and ed and jim went to different schools. A single family having 4 cars was unheard of in Perry GA at the time.

My other friend a girl spoke of going to the beach often it was just a 10 minute drive from her home. She said that is where all the kids hung out.

In Perry, GA not much to do, but on the other hand not much trouble you could get into either.

I grew up in the 70s and 80s.
We went to friends house in San Jose at times. I rode a bike around a big block of 1960s houses there.
We went to Santa Cruz in a 66 Amc wagon later in a 1978 Ford Fairmont wagon.

Our family once went to Stern Grove in San Fran around 1975 to an outdoor concert and I had ugly striped pants on but that was the fashion in the 70s.

Last edited:
I grew up in the Southern California area in 1970's. Had it all, great home, great community that matched the great weather. I feel blessed to have grown up there, but sadly, those days are gone for ever. Nothing about California resembles my youth.

After more than 50 years, I have severed my ties with California. I sold everything and moved away. Over last few years, my entire extended family had left. Still have few friends that are trapped and cant leave for a number of reasons.

California definitely wasn't leading the world in ROCK n ROLL in the late 60's or 70's

The MC5 outta Detroit! Rocked

Last edited:
I grew up in the '60's & 70's in the SF area. Some of the rock 'n roll groups that got their start in the Bay Area include; Creedence Clearwater Revival, Grateful Dead (not sure you'd classify their music as rock 'n roll though...more like folk music), Doobie Brothers, Jefferson Airplane/Starship, Journey just to name a few, and that's not even naming the bands from SoCal. A great time to grow up too!

Back
Top Bottom