Looking for underwater detector... help

30U Plymouth

Elite Member
I'm getting tired of digging in the hard dry ground:D
Now I'm wanting to get underwater, but need a good detector for the job.
I will mainly be hookah diving in fresh water locations and would like a detector that will go down to about 20-30 feet.
Any help would be appreciated so I can make a decision based on some good information;).
I also have a dfx and V3i that I might consider doing some trading if you have a good md to fill my needs.

Btw... it's good to be back:yes:
I have checked in occasionally, but haven't posted in a while.
But I'm still swinging and finding the good stuff:detector:

Tesoro Tiger Shark good to 200ft., deep built like a tank, Lifetime warranty all for less than $650 bucks. can't beat it for fresh water IMHO. :yes:

You will want a discriminating machine as all pieces of iron that has been dropped there are still there like hairpins nuts and bolts and anything you can think of from swim platforms.
Time on the bottom is limited, IMO your options are the Tiger Shark, CZ 21,
and the Excal. for 20 to 30 feet. OR if you are courageous like Roman Digger
a CTX 3030 with mods.
Good Luck Jim

Thanks for the information.
Sounds like the Excalibur is the way to go.
Anybody else got an opinion?
:?::?::?:

As far as "new" detectors.....

DetectorPro, Tesoro Tiger Shark and the Fisher 1280-X are all dive ready detectors. They are single frequency VLF machines and will work great in fresh water.

If you invest a few extra bucks, the Minelab Excallibur and Fisher CZ-21 are submersible, multi-frequency VLF machines that work in both fresh and salt water. In my opinion, they also have the best resale value.

Cheapest route is likely a PI machine like the Garrett Sea Hunter, Tesoro Sand Shark, or White's BH. When comparing all of the above detectors with their stock coils, PI's may give you a few extra inches of depth. The downside is that no matter what the claims, the discrimination feature on most PI detectors is lousy. So you will hear the same tone for every bobby-pin, fish hook, pull-tab, and gold ring. Then you end up digging ALL the trash instead of cherry picking....or at the very least, just discriminating iron.

I did a bit of research, including a thread on this forum(CZ 21 vs Excalibur II) a couple years back and went with the CZ21. At the time there were issues with the customer service from Minelab. They may have corrected the problems though. As far as the two machines, they seemed equal from all the replies I received.

I agree that with limited bottom time you don't want to spend time digging iron. I have a 1280-x and Excal that I use at the lake. You can find a used 1280-x for a pretty reasonable price and they are pretty durable whereas the Excal needs to be pampered a bit IMO. Keep us posted and good luck!

My choices in order of preference:

1 - Excal - it well exceeds your depth requirement, has great discrimination, and will even work as a beach / land detector since it is basically a waterproof Sovereign

2 - Tiger Shark - It also exceeds your depth needs, has good discrimination and will also work as a beach / land detector (I have a buddy that has one and says he uses his for beach / land detecting sometimes)

3 - CZ 21/22 - Exceeds your depth needs, Haven't used one enough to speak intelligently about it but it did seem to have decent discrimination, UNGODLY heavy for use out of the water in my opinion though

4 - Beach Hunter ID 300 - Barely meets your depth (rated to 25 feet but I'd bet it would be ok to 30 for a shorter time) needs, has OK discrimination since it is basically a waterproof DFX without the display and weight and balance is probably the best of all listed in this post. Also will work as a beach detector.

I have used all of these machines on the beach and in the water on standard shafts, maybe on diver shaft setups my weight and balance opinions would change...

I agree that with limited bottom time you don't want to spend time digging iron. I have a 1280-x and Excal that I use at the lake. You can find a used 1280-x for a pretty reasonable price and they are pretty durable whereas the Excal needs to be pampered a bit IMO. Keep us posted and good luck!

I have the 1280-x that I use for creek and lake hunting. I have only gone chest deep, this being my first season with it. The batteries last forever, it's simple to use, the headset is hardwired to the control box so there is no chance of leaks at the connectors. The coil is also hardwired to the unit so you can't change coils which might be a negative to some, when you order you get to pick 8" or 10". The control box can also be chest or hip mounted and the thing is built like a tank.
Just my 2 cents worth.

1280-x ???
I don't know anything about this one.
Is it a minelab unit?
Googit time:roll:

Anyway, here a picture of my rig.

Attachments

• photo 3_kindlephoto-244949888.jpg
    photo 3_kindlephoto-244949888.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 245
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    125.4 KB · Views: 255
Depends what you are after so do some research on the differences between the tiger shark/1280x and the excal/cz21. It seems many fresh water hunters have both a single and multi frequency machine as each fills a bit of a niche. I am a salt/beach hunter only but if I were moving near fresh water I would probably be looking at the tiger shark. Its got such a good reputation for finding small gold.

Pulled the trigger

Ok... the order is in and just waiting for the sponsor to get it to me.
Should be delivered Tuesday or Wednesday.

After all the research, I went with the Excalibur II with 10" coil.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Back
Top Bottom