• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Detector for Gold & Metal ?????

Astronut

I have had several detectors some time ago. I am looking to buy one that can be used for either Gold & Metal for under around a $800.00 or less. I know true gold detectors run at a higher freq. than a standard metal detector only. I would like to have one that will do both rather than having two which is where I may have to go. Your feedback on a brand and model will be greatly appreciated and why that particular model. Feedback greatly appreciated very much. Thanks

Bill

Not sure what you're looking for? Gold is a metal and so is metal? Any metal detector can find metal and higher frequency detectors are better at picking up low small conductors like gold & iron, but are you looking to find gold nuggets from prospecting?

I am looking for a detector that can do both. I am looking at the X-terra 705 gold. I see by changing coils it will do both pretty well. I really want a detector for detecting gold nuggets what ever size. I do live in Northern California in the Sierra Nevada foothills where we have quite a few small creek beds when they dry up in the summer time to play in. Also a lot of forests with parks and old river beds. I also have access to a Whites MXT all Pro detector with several different coils. I know there are specific detectors for gold at a bigger price and maybe someday I may be able to get one. Feedback is appreciated thanks

Bill

$800 is hard for both. A real true gold nugget rig can easily cost several times more than that itself. I'd say at the low end maybe an AT Gold would work, it would get you the normal finds and maybe into a little prospecting. At the high end you'd be looking at something like a Minelab GPZ 7000. Dedicated gold rigs are expensive because the find payout is high, and most hobby type detectors aren't sensitive enough to pick up gold flakes or tiny nuggets. Some are, but very few.

As of today's technology, coin/relic detectors and gold detectors are two different animals if you want ones that do so very good. Throw in the ability to beach hunt in wet sand and you narrow the selections even more. As of today that's a tough one if shopping in the $800 range. The equinox may be the answer for folks looking for such a detector, but until they are released to the public and we start seeing reviews and testing, the verdict is still out. It might be worth waiting a little longer to see instead of wishing you had.

I have had several detectors some time ago. I am looking to buy one that can be used for either Gold & Metal for under around a $800.00 or less. I know true gold detectors run at a higher freq. than a standard metal detector only. I would like to have one that will do both rather than having two which is where I may have to go. Your feedback on a brand and model will be greatly appreciated and why that particular model. Feedback greatly appreciated very much. Thanks

Bill

I wonder if the Makro Gold Racer could be a possibility?

I wonder if the Makro Gold Racer could be a possibility?

I have a Makro Gold Racer that I am looking to sell. I live in North Texas and I do not have anywhere to go detecting for Gold. I bought it with out doing the research and thinking it was like the Racer 2 :no: That'll learn me. It does well on the coin hunting but it likes small bits of metal like canslaw a little too much for just coin and relic hunting with no hopes of going and finding a gold nugget.

I would sell it for what I have in it, $520 shipped, has all 4 coils, small round one all the way up the 15".

If you are new to gold detecting, be extremely careful about walking onto someone's gold claim. Almost everything in gold country is claimed up and those folks take claim jumping Veeeery seriously......:rifle:

Back
Top Bottom