Deus Lite vs. Deus w/remote

Texaspast

Elite Member
I'm looking to upgrade to a deeper-running machine, and one that can differentiate between trash and junk better. I'm looking at the Deus, but would rather not cough up the $1600 price tag if I can help it. So I was looking at the Deus Lite, which is a Deus without the remote - basically a tone machine without the target ID ability (at least as far as I understand). You guys that have used the Deus - what would you say is the greatest advantage of the remote? Also, I see I can get either the 9 or 11" coil with the lite package. Which would you suggest? I do a mix of hunting, everything from junky parks to dig-everything civil war battle sights in heavy brush. Or should I just wait for the Equinox at about the same price as a Deus Lite? Also - I can't see that I would like those 'backhead' earphones. I want some good old over-the-head phones. Can those be had with just the Deus Lite?

I'm not a Deus expert, I've only had mine for a little over a month now, but I already love it. I can't wait to learn more about it's various settings and programs. I have had it out two or three times now and I can tell you that the "backphones" are not very comfortable at all (at least not for me), and yes there are after market "over the head" sets available. The one I am looking at is by Deteknix.

I'm a big fan of the Deus after just around 5 hours in the field. I'm sure it can only get better with time and experience under my belt.

HDD

I bought my deus with the remote and have never run with just the headphone unit so I am not sure of its limitations. I do believe there are some program creating limitations without the remote. Check with Craig (detectingMO), (forum sponsor) for a price on the whole ws4 package, it may be considerably less than the price you noted. Also consider if you buy a lite and decide you really want a remote, it will be more expensive in the end.

As far as headphones, I agree the backphones are very uncomfortable, especially if you wear glasses. I did not want to shed the coin for the over the ear ws5 phones but when I found that the backphones were uncomfortable I had to come up with another solution. What I wound up doing seems to work well for me. I bought the adaptor to snap onto the headphone module that allows you to connect wired headphones. I use my earbuds with the wire running down the inside of my shirt and have the headphone remote in my pocket. In very noisey areas I just throw my cheap harbor freight hearing protectors over my earbuds. Having the main remote allows me to see the display and change settings without having to remove my headphone module from my pocket. It always seemed to me that if you run the lite setup you would have to remove the backphones to change settings or programs.

I'd wait to see what Minelab's new offering reviews are going to be like before taking the plunge on a new detector. Look who's taking, I already have a Deus and I just purchased a MXT Pro. It's really fun to use, it's pretty darn deep and does a great job at trashy sites.

To get the FULL potential out of the Deus you'll need the remote, unless you have some friend with a remote to put some new programs on it for you. There are several settings that the Lite can't do without the remote. Also, if Mindlab's new offering plans out like they claim, then Deus may be reducing their prices. Don't count on either.

beephead

I'm looking to upgrade to a deeper-running machine, and one that can differentiate between trash and junk better. I'm looking at the Deus, but would rather not cough up the $1600 price tag if I can help it. So I was looking at the Deus Lite, which is a Deus without the remote - basically a tone machine without the target ID ability (at least as far as I understand). You guys that have used the Deus - what would you say is the greatest advantage of the remote? Also, I see I can get either the 9 or 11" coil with the lite package. Which would you suggest? I do a mix of hunting, everything from junky parks to dig-everything civil war battle sights in heavy brush. Or should I just wait for the Equinox at about the same price as a Deus Lite? Also - I can't see that I would like those 'backhead' earphones. I want some good old over-the-head phones. Can those be had with just the Deus Lite?

If someone is trying to sell you a full Deus package for $1600 I would RUN in the other direction. I think I paid $1275 for my set up. (WS5 headphones, remote, 11" coil)
I also bought a Deus "lite' at the same time and ended up getting another remote for that unit. The problem with the WS4 "Puck" that you get with the lite version is you do not have access to the "expert" settings and unless you mount it on the stem, you have no visual indications. With the remote you have the "Horseshoe" or XY screens that give you much more info such as the depth of the target and if there may be some iron nearby skewing your tones or readings.
So my opinion is get the full set up right off the bat. I own 10 detectors and the Deus gets the most swing time and there is a good reason for that. Good luck.

If you have a mate with the remote your sorted, he can load you up with proven programs. To be honest i can barely remember refering to the remote screen to confirm a target, i used it more to ID coke as i was usually in 2 tone, but i could have run 3 tone and forgot about the screen altogether as it was not that accurate.

I love the 9” coil and the backphones but when hunting in extreme cold I prefer the Quest/Deteknix headphones for the Deus. I also like all the added features of the remote which include additional settings, backlight and built in speaker. The numbers(in conjunction with the tones) really help determine what is probably under the coil. For example can slaw may read in 60s in one direction and read in the 70s when you turn 90 degrees over the target. Coins tend to lock on in all directions. While I usually dig everthing, it is nice to have some idea what you are about to dig. While you can mount the WS4 on the stem to look at the numbers, you will then have to use wired headphones

I love my Deus Lite, but if you want great ID you need to look at other detectors. Tone is everything with the Deus. It has been addressed many times before...if ID is very important to you you should look at CTX or ETRAC.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was able to score a deus lite for $475 and lucked out on a remote for $550. The small amount of time I've had on the machine has been fantastic. You really can swing the deus without ever having to look at the remote, but it's all the expert settings you get access to that really unlock the full potential of the deus. If you do decide to get one you will not be disappointed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom