First day with the Carrot

Foragist

Forum Supporter
Well, I finally pulled the trigger and bought a new Garret carrot pinpointer. Big upgrade from "Old Falsey", my box style Whites Bullseye. Got a good deal from one of the sponsors here; Big Boys Hobbies.
This new tool works great, is easier to hold and work with, and I love the silent vibrate mode. I brought up $10.24 in clad coinage, from school fields, some usual junk, and a cool GRIZZLY bottle opener key fob. My Whites Eagle Spectrum's speaker got a workout today too, as my headphones were problematic, and were taken off after about 15 minutes of misery. Ahhh, freedom! No headphones was actually pretty nice, in the wide open spaces.
Got more ground to cover out there. I don't think there are any serious detectorists around this town, so more for me!

Attachments

• DSCN3055.jpg
    DSCN3055.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 372
  • DSCN3056.jpg
    DSCN3056.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 318
  • DSCN3057.jpg
    DSCN3057.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 313
Nice I'm ordering mine this week. Tired of spending 5 minutes at every target after the plug is out just waving hands full of dirt til I find it. Congrats on the finds too

I just found out that the Grizzly paw is actually a snuff can opener. I think I'll clean it up, slap on a new keyring I have layin' around, and call it fifteen bucks.

Nice I'm ordering mine this week. Tired of spending 5 minutes at every target after the plug is out just waving hands full of dirt til I find it. Congrats on the finds too

Yeah, it's fun to pinpoint a hidden goodie. The Garret AT Pro is known as one of the best. There are threads full of discussions, and this one comes up as one of the top ones, but is a bit cheaper than a couple other top models. I have to get used to turning it on & off. I carry it in the left hand, with my digger, so leaving it on is no good. Plus, leaving it on all the time would eat up the battery quicker.

Glad to hear someone else still uses a Spectrum! I still use mine occasionly and it will pretty much do anything any modern detector will do just heavier! Bought mine new in 91 and bought a Bullseye II shortly after. Still use that pinpointer all the time and have had zero problems with it. Even the dreaded switch still works fine.

I have used mine a full season now . or is it two years ? Love it !
Battery seems to last forever also . Love the longer target range .
Not a single complaint from me. Something I could not live without .
The Sponsors here are the place to be ...

Jerrman here hooked me up with some sweet Killer B's Headphones !
Another item I could no longer live without ! Amaizing advantage .
, Dew

I've had four or five of the older black Garrett pin pointers and they worked great but the newer orange Pro Pointer AT is much better.
The newer 'Carrot Stick" version comes with some real nice upgrades !

Aside from the two different modes (pulse & beep) that it runs in, the three different power settings and the the fact that it's waterproof -
one of my favorite things about the orange AT is the higher quality on & off button.

I had the on and off buttons and the spring fall out of my Black pin pointers a few times and had to send them back to Garrett for repair.
Also, the on and off buttons on the black pin pointers have a real "mushy" feeling to them compared to the newer orange version.

So, bottom line - anyone that's going to order a new Garrett Pro Pointer ...
do yourself a big favor and spend the extra $15.00 to $18.00 and get the orange AT !

Good Hunting !

Last edited:
I've had four or five of the older black Garrett pin pointers and they worked great but the newer orange Pro Pointer AT is much better.
The newer 'Carrot Stick" version comes with some real nice upgrades !

Aside from the two different modes (pulse & beep) that it runs in, the three different power settings and the the fact that it's waterproof -
one of my favorite things about the orange AT is the higher quality on & off button.

I had the on and off buttons and the spring fall out of my Black pin pointers a few times and had to send them back to Garrett for repair.
Also, the on and off buttons on the black pin pointers have a real "mushy" feeling to them compared to the newer orange version.

So, bottom line - anyone that's going to order a new Garrett Pro Pointer ...
do yourself a big favor and spend the extra $15.00 to $18.00 and get the orange AT !

Good Hunting !

I agree. For less than $20 more, the Carrot also has quick detune ability using the power switch, whereas the black one has to be fully cycled off and on again. With the added extra depth...The orange AT pin pointer is the one to get.

Glad to hear someone else still uses a Spectrum! I still use mine occasionly and it will pretty much do anything any modern detector will do just heavier! Bought mine new in 91 and bought a Bullseye II shortly after. Still use that pinpointer all the time and have had zero problems with it. Even the dreaded switch still works fine.
The ol Whites Eagle Spectrum is a good machine for sure. I do believe some of the newer, high end machines can see deeper, and separate/discriminate better, but the cost is so high. My bullseye II was great at first, but very little range. I opened it up, and adjusted the screw on the one pot inside, to gain more sensitivity. After a while, it started falsing. It got worse over time. I was going to readjust that pot screw, but I just sold it as is. The Orange carrot is a better tool.

Back
Top Bottom