Hello! My name is missa

flatrocks

I've been fascinated with rocks and minerals since I was a child and never really had anyone to share that same interest with. I don't do forums, but this venue seems welcoming and informative!

I live on the west coast, Monterey Bay area, and I am always finding interesting pieces. I am usually always wondering if I have found either petrified wood or meteorite :) but I also find other eye-catching specimens but I never can figure out exactly what they are. I have quite a collection of rocks and minerals with little knowledge what they are. Hopefully here I will learn everything I need to know about my findings.

I attached an image of one I recently found on a walk in Big Sur, California. It was particularly eye-catching due to both the shape as well as the bronzy-yellow hue to some areas. I'd love to know what it is! Thanks and I look forward to gaining knowledge from everyone!

Attachments

• IMG_ 9760.jpg
    IMG_ 9760.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 342
  • IMG_ 9755.jpg
    IMG_ 9755.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 304
  • IMG_9759.jpg
    IMG_9759.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 327
  • IMG_ 9758.jpg
    IMG_ 9758.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 323
  • IMG_9757.jpg
    IMG_9757.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 321
I'm not sure how much help you will get on rocks here, but you were smart to put a quarter in the picture !

Welcome to the forum from Western NY

:fmdfwelcome:

Welcome from the Finger Lakes.....:yes: (If you have a college or university nearby with a Geology dept, they may be able to identify them for you)

Welcome to the metal detecting forum. Looks like a piece of basalt to me. Very common on the Pacific coast.

Welcome!

There are many resources around our Monterey Bay Area that can help with the geology of this beautiful place!

Welcome from NW Florida. I too have admired and collected rocks since I was a child. My desk is covered in rocks of all shapes, sizes, colors, weights and textures from all over the world. At any bookstore you can purchase a decent pocket book, for less than $10, to help identify your keepers.

Hello neighbor. I live in Monterey, work in Salinas. There's not many rock/gem people here . Although that can be a cross-over from those into nuggets/prospecting. Since they have to be familiar with where the naturally occurring gold is.

There's a local Rock & Gem society that has meetings, hunts, etc.... A buddy of mine (fellow md'r from Prunedale) is into that. And does all the polishing, forming into jewelry, etc.... PM me and I'll get the contact and meetings info. tracked down for you.

Welcome from the Florida Treasure coast.

I once played golf in Pacific Grove, pretty area.

I used to live in Monterey CA off of van buren street. Bartended there.

That is 17 mile stretch with pacific grove. Very nice, expensive area.

Back
Top Bottom