Soiled in Texas.......

Killingtime:05

Ok, Here I Go...

Since detecting in Texas(north, northcentral) its been a lingering question that hasnt been posted much. The mineralization in soil is my concern as to know which or what level of detector is adequate for a purchase. I have been getting discouraged over the fact that my experience is very minimal, but understanding is much approving with the conditions of a machine that fits the journey. I have been using a Bounty Hunter EX and frustrates me to know that its horrible for local soil.So if need be to purchase a detector affixed with a mineral ground balance, would it adequate all aspects of soil within local and lets say Colorado? Point to be made is: " Do I need to buy a mid/high end detector for my soil." I am leaning into a new purchase soon, but want a detector to give signals of hope and not haze.

Depends on your budget. If you can afford a multi-frequency machine, that is your best bet for handling any ground. Fisher CZ series, Minelab FBS/BBS detector, or Whites DFX/VX3/V3i.

Im just east of Dallas and have yet to hunt a place where mineralization has played a large roll. Old small iron bits from fencing and small old nails have given me more fits than actual natural ground minerals. I have used Garrett, Whites, xp, Minelab, and Tesoro and minerization in my part of NC texas hasn't been a problem. My ground balance numbers rarely deviated on the same machine in different places.

Depends on your budget. If you can afford a multi-frequency machine, that is your best bet for handling any ground. Fisher CZ series, Minelab FBS/BBS detector, or Whites DFX/VX3/V3i.

Budget is more so of below 300, and have passed up a whites 6000 pro di sl, mxt, eagle and a garrett 2500. Let me explain why. Wasn't truly involved with MD at the time and was looking for other items at estate sales. But all these were less than $200 and down to $60 .Kick self in butt. Still looking today for another detector at sales.have a lil bit more knowledge now.

Im just east of Dallas and have yet to hunt a place where mineralization has played a large roll. Old small iron bits from fencing and small old nails have given me more fits than actual natural ground minerals. I have used Garrett, Whites, xp, Minelab, and Tesoro and minerization in my part of NC texas hasn't been a problem. My ground balance numbers rarely deviated on the same machine in different places.

I have to clarify I use a BH, and have read , watched, listened to others in area with this problem . Not to say you are in a area different, but difference with machine. Thats why I posted to get more info and correct any issues with this problem as do others. Whats my issue is to somewhat guarantee a purchase of a detector thats suitable for my area and beyond. Was thinking about ETP for purchase and a whites 5900 pro di sl . Old school vs new era! Hmmmm! Any chimes would be read.

Are you sure you have ground balance problem. I live in north central Texas and have had no problems with fixed groung balance detectors. the soil in
N. Texas is mild. If you are looking for detector with manual or auto ground balance I
would recomend Garrett AT Pro, their factory is in Garland.

Are you sure you have ground balance problem. I live in north central Texas and have had no problems with fixed groung balance detectors. the soil in
N. Texas is mild. If you are looking for detector with manual or auto ground balance I
would recomend Garrett AT Pro, their factory is in Garland.

We live in the Decatur, Texas area and the wife uses an F-2 and I use an AT Gold. Neither one of us has any ground balance problems with the soil here. Of course her F-2 is afixed ground balance, but still no problems.

I live in NE Texas and fixed ground balance machines work as bout as well as an adjustable one in our soil. I have used a lot of machines and never really saw much advantage to manual ground balance over fixed or auto trac type machines. I have also hunted in NC Texas area on occasion and never had GB issues. I would say that if you are going to be hunting locally the ETP would be a good choice. It has some nice features and will outperform the 5900 unless you swing the Whites like a weedeater. Those older Whites machines require a fast swing for optimal depth. If you plan to go to other locations and detect then maybe an adjustable GB machine would be beneficial and might want to look into that type of machine but if you are staying close to home the ETP or similar machine should do just fine. If you get the ETP be sure and opt for the 11" DD coil, its really nice.

I believe your responses have been very helpful with experience in the area and really beneficial to me. The info on ground balance not being an issue around the area is what I was concerned about. I read up and compared ground balance issues and knew this bounty hunter was having false, misleading readings. When I read that the ETP was designed with European soil I assumed the fixed gb was not so good for texas soil in blackhill praires. But have no idea what there soil is. As whites is concerned with weedeater swings, I have no problem swinging now as pumped up to the hunt. I will hook up with a sponsor and see about the ETP as a purchase and give it a shot. Since my locals have good feedback.

As far as mineralization goes, I quite often run my Ace 250 with the sensitivity all the way up with no problems.. I hunt all over DFW.

Sent from my Mobile Command Center (MCC)

I unt in the NC area here in Texas around Ft worth and Lake Worth area as well as Glen Rose Texas and lots Others GB is never an ISSUE here that I have found soil pretty mild I run My ETPro at 10 sens and 00 Disc and don't have a Problem It is a very nice detector for the Money and very User Friendly and easy to setup

I don't live in Texas now; but did from 1942 until 2007. I lived around the Waco/Hillsboro area. I used both a BH 840 (with adjustable ground balance) and the BH Tracker 2D/707 ( set ground balance). Both machines had no trouble with the soil. I searched from the Ft. Worth area down to the Temple/Belton area; and from Corsicana to Clifton areas.

Back
Top Bottom