Silver Umax with 10x12 coil

Steve77

Elite Member
I started on a compadre with 5.75 coil and found plenty of coins, but I wanted to cover more ground when I was in big open areas like ball fields. I found a deal on a silver umax and have done ok with it, found lots of wheats, a 1865 indian, war nickel and all the ordinary stuff. I put in hundreds of hours on both machines, I can usually tell what is in the hole before digging. I actually dumbfounded a guy with a Whites M6, he told me he couldn't believe I could tell what was under my coil. So we took turns sweeping over the same targets and guessing what they were before digging them, and I was right as much as he was.
I dig every solid repeatable signal above "o" in foil. I dig plenty of tabs, I do lots of research and have some great sites with compelling history but silver seems so elusive.
Now I am hunting mostly old homesites and parks and I wanted a bit more depth and coverage because sometimes it is a long time between solid signals. I found a deal on a 10x12 coil and have around 20 hours on it. It pinpoints far better than I expected! It seems a bit more chatty and as I expected it is useless in trashy areas.
Now the strange thing is it doesn't seem to be going any deeper than the stock 8" coil. It does cover ground much faster And target Id is as good or better than the 8" donut.

Any of you folks using this setup that consistently find silver coins have any suggestions? Are those deep silvers quieter, softer, scratchy or what? I dig nickels all the time that are scratchy and break up at tab, especially when they are on edge instead of laying flat. I'm not frustrated, just looking to hone my skills and shorten the learning curve. I like relics as much or more than coins, but silver is a pretty universal treasure:yes:

Over 100 views and not even a comment? I know a lot of people have used this setup. If I had a silver dime or quarter I could do some air tests, and even a test garden, but I need to find one first:?: Silver Umax hasn't lived up to it's name yet...

Am I missing something?

Is it just that hard to find silver?

Should I do something different?

Should I try a different coil?(It seems like one of my coils should do the job)

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I've been using my Silver uMax with the stock coil for 3 1/2 seasons now. It has found me plenty of silver jewelry and a few silver coins. The only things that sound as good, or better then silver, is deep iron and screw caps. I think you just aren't swinging over any silver coins if you haven't found any yet, if, as you say, you're digging all repeatable signals with the disc. at foil. Some of the smaller, deeper silver, has actually been for me, a small repeatable blip, blip, rather then the usual solid full tone of shallower targets. Worn silver dimes, on edge will sound like zinc pennies to foil alot of times. I've been digging the iffy broken, one way signals and been suprised with I.H. pennies, a V nickel, a war nickel, and very small silver earrings. I hope this helps. : ) Good luck with your hunts.

Can't help you on the silver because I hunt for mostly jewelry, specifically gold not silver coins, and I have a Vaq model, but this is what I do know.

Depth, switch to all metal to go the deepest.
Manual GB would help, but even on yours that coil should go further in all metal then it would in disc I would assume.

Go slow.
Tesoros are fast, I found a gold ring one time virtually running around a large wide open area in a park swinging that coil so fast I looked like a hockey player moving the puck down the ice on a power play and I still picked up that ring and a tab in the same hole, but go slow and it picks up even more.

Keep looking for silver.
You would think it would still be around at most old sites, but sometimes there just might not be any to find.
If it is at some site within your range and you swing over it with this coil you should be able to find it if it is there.
This large coil does not miss much.

Get a Vaq.
As deep and powerful as the Silver is, that Vaq has a little more of both, plus that manual GB and all metal with a threshold to really get down there the deepest.

thanks for the replies! I definitely respect what you fellas have to say. I have read lots of posts fomyou both. I will definitely dig more iffy signals. i already dig a lot of iffys because that is how my war nickel sounded.
as far as an upgrade goes, I had my mind made up for a Vaquero or an outlaw. but I really want to do some long abandoned swim areas that I have researched so an ATP is gonna be next.
I just got permission to hit a virgin 1900 school. maybe it will give up some silver!

Back
Top Bottom