What To Buy? Opinions an why.

gcp611

I am new to MD but have been around it for a few years. I am looking to buy a MD. I have narrowed it down to these 3 machines based on price and reviews. They are :

Fisher F2 with coil package
Minelab 305
Teknetics Euro Tech pro

I will be doing mostly coin and relic hunting in GA. I want to try out MD without putting too much money in it at first to see if I like it. Which is the most reliable, best value and best depth. All opinions would be appreciated.

I like the EuroTek Pro very much, a great detector especially considering its price. I used one for most of last summer and it really surprised me each time I used it. There is a member hear on the forum (88junior) that recently bought one from me, I am sure he would let you know his thoughts about it as he is also in Georgia. From my understanding he is happy with it. Would be happy to pm you a price on one if you like.

I would recommend finding other members on this forum located near you. Reason being is Georgia is known for highly mineralized soil which is rough on a detector. Causes all sorts of false signals.

So between the 3 you listed I'd go with the Eurotek Pro but with the DD coil. You'll likely need the adjustable iron volume control that sets the eurotek apart.

What to Buy?

The Fisher F2 and the Teknetics Eurotek Pro are both good detectors for coin hunting. Digger27 on this forum has hundreds of posts of what he has found. Both detectors have simple controls, target ID, depth indication and pre-set ground balance. Of these two detectors the Eurotek Pro has better features. It has Iron Audio volume control so you can hunt in in lower discrimination and pick out the good targets audibly (high tone) while hearing all the iron sounds at a lower volume. It also has faster recovery between targets than the F2.

Being that you live in Georgia with a lot on mineralized ground a detector with ground balance for both discriminate and all-metal modes would be the best for overall performance.

In a lightweight (2.5 lbs), simple to use detector, I believe the Teknetics Gamma 6000 is a good choice at a reasonable price. The Gamma doesn't seem to get the respect it deserves on the forums. It is sort of like the Fisher F70 vs the Fisher F75 in that respect. The Gamma has the same detection circuit as the Omega 8000 and is $100 less in price. It gets the same depth and results as the Omega. The only differences I am aware of is the Gamma comes with a 8" round concentric coil and the Omega has the 10" elliptical concentric. The Gamma doesn't have a stand alone Ground Grab button like the Omega it has the same ground grab function you need push the mode button first to get to it. Not a big deal. It also has manual ground balance like the Omega 8000 so you can do a positive offset to get enhanced response to low conductor targets (think gold). The Omega has a frequency shift and the Gamma does not. I haven't found the frequency shift useful on my F75SE for reducing EMI. It did help when I was hunting with my son who has an F70; we just set them to be the furthest apart he ran on F1 and I was on F7 and no interference. The notch systems are a little different also but I don't use notch.

The Gamma can be had for around $400 - $450 and the Omega for $500 to $550 from the forum sponsors. You just need to call and talk to them.

I just bought a very slightly used Teknetics Gamma 6000 for $300 a few weeks ago to go with my MXT Pro and F75 SE. It is a great coin detector and super light in weight. There are lots of different factory and after-market coils available for the Greek Series of detectors. The stock 8" gets good coverage, provides great target ID's in discrimination and will get 6-7" on a dime in my mineralized ground with accurate target id in Northern California.

If you're interested in a Fisher F2 I have one that I bought for my better 3/4's as a gift 2 months ago. It is the 2 coil package (4" & 8"). She doesn't "Get" detecting and doesn't want to be seen in public detecting. Although she likes the rings and other jewelry trinkets I find occasionally. I don't need it and will ship it to the lower 48 for $175. I used it about two times for about 2 hours each so I could teach my wife but that was it. PM me if your interested.

Alan

Last edited:
I like the F2.

The Fisher F2 Detector is an affordable, easy to learn, fun detector to use.
It takes no time at all to learn how to use it, and once you get used to the VDI and tones you will find more and more treasures.

You can use it to find relics, jewelry, coins. And let me tell you it is a coin killer. It will find you as much as some high end detectors. I have found coins to about 7-8"deep and some bigger things much deeper.

With 3 different stock coils available (4" 8" and 10") at a very reasonable price you will be able to detect anything.

All in all it is a very reliable, affordable and fun detector to use.

Back
Top Bottom