First detector, buying used?

RedThain

Been lurking around researching. Looking at used detectors, since I want to start with a higher end machine. Found a used excal 1000(blue). What does one look for when checking it out? Do I bring a bucket of sand with a coin in to make sure it works? What are good things to look for? Just want to be prepared. I don't like buying entry level then turning around a short time later to upgrade. Especially if I can find a good deal/same price on a much better used model.

Thxs
RedThain

Last edited:
Welcome to the Forum from NJ. I'd recommend contacting the Sponsors of this Form first. I'm sure you would get superior service and a good price. Second choice may be looking at detectors for sale listed here in the Forum. A long time member with lots of posts would most likely not put his/her good reputation at risk by messing up a detector sale. Do your homework first. Where are you hunting? What are you looking for? What is your budget? Don't forget important accessories like a pin-pointer, digger and finds pouch. Ask us your questions- that's what this Forum is for. GL and HH. Matt

make sure you take it outside and away from any structure/ sources of interference. bring a bunch of different coins and metals and create your own little test garden.

also if it's a water machine like the excal, i would try it under water if the seller lets you. if it's got a leak, there's no warranty to cover it.

I agree, it's better to buy a used high end machine than a beginner detector. I'm not saying that's the best move for everyone but if you plan to detect a lot, and know you'll want to upgrade in a short period of time, it's better to just find something used but higher end that works well IMO. You can check out the used inventory of the sponsors in here, that way you know you'll get a good working detector, but if you decide to buy from a private party, I'd take it out in the yard, run it over some targets, make sure it id's correctly, and runs smooth. If you plan to take it in the water I'd have the guy submerge it, that way if it leaks you're not responsible for breaking his detector. :D

Pretty much mostly beach/surf. But will also do some dry land like parks etc. Want to start on the beach and work my way out into the water more for the better finds is my idea. And the 1000 seems to fit my needs if I can get it at the right price. Hopefully the bug doesn't bite to hard and I won't be trying to upgrade to soon.

Back
Top Bottom