comparison/opinions

nbone101

I am leaning hard toward the xterra 705. opinions from current or past users much appreciated. I haven't seen a lot of info on its depth, I know minelabs are known for their depth, among many other things, but curious to this specific line, the xterras. I guess depth on silver to be more specific. and also opinion on the teknetics, omega8000 with the 11"DD, and the T2se. In a comparison of the three. Would the higher cost of the T2 be worth it over the other two? I have heard the T2 is very deep, but can be chatty irratic, etc. I like the price point of the omega, and for just abit more the xterra, the T2 would be a real stretch of the budget, Any and all inputs welcome. I like land hunting, maybe some freshwater shorelines, but rarely, kind of ruled out the ATPro, as I didn't want to pay for the waterproof feature, not really a need for me.

To be fair and honest, part of what you're paying for with an Xterra is the flexibility/ability to change frequencies by changing coils. What this means is that if you buy an Xterra, additional coils have to be a part of your plan/equation.

The Xterras are very stable running machines. Set up correctly they run deep. For high conductors like silver and copper the 3kHz coils are what you'd want, both for response and depth. The 9" 3kHz Minelab concentric coil is good, but if you're after max depth, hunting where trash density is high, or have large open areas to hunt where you want more coverage, one of the Coiltek 3kHz coils would be better.

TY longhair, Yes I assumed with that particular machine, coil selection would be very important. I have read many of your posts, comments etc, as well as some others on diff boards, that use the 705. I like that there is a vast bit of information on them from users like yourself, and of course Randys e-book. I want something I can grow into, and it seems the 705 is just that.

TY longhair, Yes I assumed with that particular machine, coil selection would be very important. I have read many of your posts, comments etc, as well as some others on diff boards, that use the 705. I like that there is a vast bit of information on them from users like yourself, and of course Randys e-book. I want something I can grow into, and it seems the 705 is just that.

I'm just learning the 705. But I will say, I'm going to need a better digger. Hit a silver dime at around 4" (Cool thing, it was on EDGE!) It's amazing me at what this detector can find, and that's w/ the stock coil. Hope to get the 6" coil soon.
I can't wait until I really learn how to use it & know for sure what it is telling me! GL

I Cant

Answer the ? on the 705, because I have a Etrac, I herd they were a good machine, I also have a Omega 8000 , new to me, but I herd just as deep as the T2 and runs smoother, also like the fact that I can switch coils out with my Euro Tek Pro both 7.8 khzs, so far a coin killer, the T2 has its own line of coils, and cant be used with the Greek series line up, like both machines, the response, and recovery is almost as fast as my F75se, if I had a 705, I think I would just buy some more coil's, and you will be fine, if you sold it, I would than go for a Etrac ,and Omega 8000, if you don't have a 705 yet, and don't have the money for a Etrac , get the Omega 8000 with the 11dd coil, than Etrac later, happy hunting Earl

TY for the responses. Hopefully this week I can finally make a decision and get something ordered. The one thing that makes me hesitant on the T2 or the Omega is the mention from some, of the EMI issues. Maybe that's the trade off on some machines that have a reputation of being deep, you sacrifice some stability? Running on the edge of stability, to keep that depth, and if soil/environment permits it. Would be disappointing is I had to turn a machines sensitivity way down to run stable, and loose a lot of the depth they are known for(T2SE) It seems the xt705 has a rep for stability /versatility or at least the ability for the operator to fine tune in a lot of areas. I have yet to hear anyone say the 705 lacks depth, or that depth is its weakness. with the variety of coils and ability to change freq. with the coils, really adds another realm of customization to so many hunting scenarios. I know depth isn't the be all end all, but just don't want to take a step back in that area too much, I have no complaints with my Vaquero and depth, I just need some tones! Thanks again, Happy Hunting

Back
Top Bottom