4 U Ace Swingers

SkiWhiz

Elite Member
I have been experimenting with a Ace 250. I have never been a person that has much faith in the TID (display) detectors, and I just varified (again)why I don't like TID to myself. I was waiving various pieces of jewelry under the coil today, and most of the smaller jewelry didn't respond with a beep or a visual display, that is until I put it into all metal. And most of the jewelry pieces came in as iron on the TID. Just think of all the good stuff all you with the Ace have been missing by using any discrimination at all. I have to admit that the Ace hit pretty well on most of the test items when in all metal mode but any higher disc. than all metal mode forget it. Using Tesoro's for so long I just took setting the disc. alittle above iron and being able to find "all" the goodies for granite. Try all metal mode & see what you been missing. Steve.

just last night I was experimenting with my Ace250, I put various pieces of jewelry and a few silver coins on the kitchen table which was wood and ran the detector over them, everything worked fine other than the silver necklace I just found Sunday afternoon. I was using it in jewelry mode and I wouldn't have found it because it showed up in the foil/iron mode. I got lucky that I got a bunch of erratic signals and it caused me to dig and then luckily I noticed the silver shining from the sand. The problem is that mot once did it ever go to the silver range which drove me nuts and is still bugging me, neither at the park nor on the kitchen table. I guess I'll have to go back to all metal mode at times. I did notice that I increased my finds in jewelry mode but if it means I have to dig all iron/foil signals now because of this issue, it's going to bug me. Thanks for posting this, at least I know I'm not alone with that experience.

I had this experience a while back and as it didnt really sound like iron I dug it and it was a gold on silver cufflink.It wasnt at the very end of the range(in jewellery mode there are two notches not in play)so I now dig everything except the 1st notch which really does sound like iron-a low king of bloop(excuse the attempt at describing it).Ace users dont panic though.I have tried various bits Ive found plus raided er indoors jewellery box and didnt find anything else this low on the graph.I use the larger coil.Dont know if this makes any difference or if it is different in the field as this was a rare outing for the ace.The area was trashier than I usually detect so I took it instead.All silver which was silver alone dinged under 1c.All gold which was gold alone registered between 5c and the two pull tab notches.A couple of these gold and silver combinations were all over the place and as I say my cufflink was lower than I would have liked.Did your necklace contain any other metal?Also regarding smaller objects I had no problem in jewellery mode.As they say over here,"Dont panic,Mr Mainwaring".Just seen in classifieds you have the larger coil Steve so Im lost as to your general findings.

Quote Just seen in classifieds you have the larger coil Steve so Im lost as to your general findings.

All my tests were done using the stock coil.

I just was thinking, way back when I had a Fisher F4 I dug a couple of iron hits just to see what they were and to my surprise was a penny, they were badly corroded and really dirty. A display can be fooled on any machine. Steve.

I use the display on my ACE 250 as a guide only. I have found that the quality and duration of the tone is what helps me decide whether to dig or not. I try to guess what it is (trash too) before I dig it up based on the sound. Hopefully, this will train my ears to be my best tool out there!

I use the display on my ACE 250 as a guide only. I have found that the quality and duration of the tone is what helps me decide whether to dig or not.
That's what everyone does. Well, almost everyone.:roll:

The display on any detector is just there for additional information. I wish I had one on my PI.:lol:

Originally posted by blueonceagain
Did your necklace contain any other metal?Also regarding smaller objects I had no problem in jewellery mode.

My necklace has 4 stamps that say 925 Italy, on the clasps. I don't see any other metal and know it's definitely silver. One can usually tell by the beeps if something is a good sound, no doubt about it. I go by that but I also look at the display because in jewelry mode, you'll get a beep first and then if you're not hearing it beep any longer, it'll show up in the iron/foil area so you know if you should dig or not. I've said it before the jewelry mode really did well for me compared to all metal. I found all kinds of trinkets, and different jewelry once I started in that mode, and in all metal mode I only found a wheat penny. I used the factory coil. What I plan on doing when I have a chance later today is laying out the necklace again and trying it in different modes as Encrusted Yen suggested to see what happens with the reading. I'm still fairly new at this hobby since I started right before April but I feel I've been making good progress. I'll post back later with my findings of how the necklace reads.

Last edited:
Ive not found any item which is purely silver in jewellery mode which hasnt dinged under 1c.Gold as I said 5c-pull tab.But the gold on silver seemed to fool it and had a broken tone registering only one way i.e not a repeatable signal which I often ignore and might well do again.Just one of those things I suppose.

About four months ago I dug a 17 inch .925 necklace and it rang as foil also . I knew that was not where it should be so I ask some of the pro's and they told me that necklaces will do that sometimes cause of the small links with the holes in them will confuse the computer trying to figure out what it is . I am sure this is not always true but was on mine .

Harold

I have a confession to make, you all know that I am not a big promoter of the Ace. I took it out today in my yard (too cold to go on a real hunt) and got this ding dong bing bong ice cream truck sounding noise, I dug down about 5 inches and nothing rescanned the hole and again ding dong bing bong, dug about 3 or 4 more inches deeper and scanned the pile of dirt I took out of the hole and bingo there layed a penny. I don't and never will like the belltone sound on the Ace but was pretty amazed that the display read penny and amazed at the depth (sens. set a t 6 bars). This with with the stock coil not the larger coil. I think if I had to keep the Ace, I would get the sniper coil for it for the type of hunting that I do. Don't tell anybody but the Ace gained a "little" respect with me (did I just say that). Steve.

You've been corrupted! Soon you will be espousing the virtues of Garrett and the the value of TID....
But Seriously, the Ace is a good little machine for the money.

After going out for a bit in this cold weather to detect, I came home and said let me try to see what the necklace comes up as in all metal mode, coin mode, relic mode, jewelry mode, and custom. It pretty much was the same, bouncing from iron/ foil to pull tab the whole time. I'm just going to not worry about it anymore lol, and hopefully I'll get lucky and find another necklace with the ACE. As long as I find the stuff I'm happy, but I rather stick with jewelry mode at this rate since it's done the best for me. Skiwhiz, at least it did something impressive for you with the penny. For coins the machine is unbelievable and I haven't had too many complaints other than the necklace issue which seems to be a common problem. Steve

After going out for a bit in this cold weather to detect, I came home and said let me try to see what the necklace comes up as in all metal mode, coin mode, relic mode, jewelry mode, and custom. It pretty much was the same, bouncing from iron/ foil to pull tab the whole time. I'm just going to not worry about it anymore lol, and hopefully I'll get lucky and find another necklace with the ACE. As long as I find the stuff I'm happy, but I rather stick with jewelry mode at this rate since it's done the best for me. Skiwhiz, at least it did something impressive for you with the penny. For coins the machine is unbelievable and I haven't had too many complaints other than the necklace issue which seems to be a common problem. Steve
Don't tell anyone else this Steve (I am sure no one is listening), I have a no like yeller feller image to hold up, but it ain't a bad little machine shhhhh remember this is just between us ;). Steve.

I use to take my Ace 250 to scan the street sweeper piles.
The piles could give up a couple of things in a short time.

I remember after the 4th of July it gave up a coin purse with 27 bucks.
It boings and dings, when it locks on something good it's a dingaling alarm.

I can't swing the piles with my Cortes, but I still try once in a while.
Changing from bells to beeps kinda got to me, so hears a trick.

Table topping testing: wood dowel, dbl face tape, good/bad targets.
Put tape on each end, stick targets on and wave the stick at the coil.
Flip ends between different items and distances from coil.
Best way to know good and bad targets, write down VDI numbers.
Keep your notes to refresh your memory on the different tests.
It helps learning the detectors sounds and a great winter past time also.

I have been experimenting with a Ace 250. I have never been a person that has much faith in the TID (display) detectors, and I just varified (again)why I don't like TID to myself. I was waiving various pieces of jewelry under the coil today, and most of the smaller jewelry didn't respond with a beep or a visual display, that is until I put it into all metal. And most of the jewelry pieces came in as iron on the TID. Just think of all the good stuff all you with the Ace have been missing by using any discrimination at all. I have to admit that the Ace hit pretty well on most of the test items when in all metal mode but any higher disc. than all metal mode forget it. Using Tesoro's for so long I just took setting the disc. alittle above iron and being able to find "all" the goodies for granite. Try all metal mode & see what you been missing. Steve.
Interesting as I have found small pieces of jewelry, all be it most of the time it is fake. They almost always ring up in the nickel range I did have a 1958 canadian nickel ring up between iron and foil. Unlike the US nickels, this nickel is made of nickel and almost had me pass it up. Of course not worth a plum nickel unless I venture into Canada :p

Interesting as I have found small pieces of jewelry, all be it most of the time it is fake. They almost always ring up in the nickel range I did have a 1958 canadian nickel ring up between iron and foil. Unlike the US nickels, this nickel is made of nickel and almost had me pass it up. Of course not worth a plum nickel unless I venture into Canada :p
The items that rang up as iron on the display were small type jewelry such as ear rings, small necklaces without the chain,etc. Wedding bands,etc. usually showed up under the nickel area.

Ski, you know I'm a Tesoro nut.....

but the Ace gives me no problems. You said you had it on sens. #6-I could NEVER hunt with it that high! #4 is MAX for me-and I've hit quarters hard at 6" at this setting. To operate at #6, you have to really sweep slow as the Ace is hyperventilating at this high of a setting. As for modes, I will always say that the Relics mode is the Ace's best mode. I found this necklace in the Relics mode at sens. #3 at a tot lot-it gave the "boop" sound of a relic. But to make it clear-my Silver umax is a charm, too.

Attachments

• HPIM0061_2.JPG
    HPIM0061_2.JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 233
My ACE 250 works fine...

SkiWhiz said:
I have never been a person that has much faith in the TID
...I just varified (again)why I don't like TID to myself...
...most of the jewelry pieces came in as iron on the TID...
Just think of all the good stuff all you with the Ace have been missing by using any discrimination at all.
but any higher disc. than all metal mode forget it...
Try all metal mode & see what you been missing...
I have a confession to make, you all know that I am not a big promoter of the Ace...
got this ding dong bing bong ice cream truck sounding noise...
and again ding dong bing bong...
I don't and never will like the belltone sound on the Ace...
Don't tell anybody but the Ace gained a "little" respect with me (did I just say that)...
Hmmm well I guess its ok...
Looks like Ski is being assimilated.:lol:

Back
Top Bottom