Feedback on BH Tracker IV?

TheSwede

Hello all,

I am very new to this and bought my first detector a couple of weeks ago - a Bounty Hunter Tracker IV. I tried to do alot of research about different detectors before i decided but unfortunatley the price was an important variable for me and I could not find that many detectors in its price range (about $100).

I've noticed that many here uses a bit more high-end detectors but I'm sure some of you started out with a bit simpler detectors and my question is if anyone can give me some input on the BH Tracker IV (or its predecessors)?

When I looked around online, not many "real" reviews was given on it.

Is it just a crappy "toy" or is it a descent detector for its price?

I have already bought it and using it but I am just curious what input you old-timers might have that experienced detectors in different price ranges.

I would appreciate any input or earlier experience on the Tracker IV!

Thanks!

Definately worth it for the price, I started with it, and found many wheats and an Indian Head. Hit playgrounds for clad to learn it, and dont pay attention to the meter :D

Is it just a crappy "toy" or is it a descent detector for its price?
I've not used one, but I assure you they're not toys. One of the super mods still has his first BH and has found some good stuff with it.

It's not always the detector. Learn the machine and the hobby skills, and you'll do fine.

IT IS NO TOY MY KIND SIR. I have one and my son and I have found lots of cool stuff with it, my son found a 1881 Indian Head Penny with it. It's a mean machine, just like I tell everyone that ask's that same question as you. Now it's not a deep seeking machine though, if there is a penny around it will find it, not to mention any other coin for that matter but if its deep odds are your not going to hit it. I really like my TrackerIV I moved up to a 505 but I have mixed reviews over it, I think I like my IV better, but I still have to learn my 505 still before I make up my mind. But you made the right choice for the price, if you make a move up then check out the ACE 250 for your next MD, if you can afford it I would check it out now, sometimes if you watch the forum here you can pick one up for less than $200.00 the ACE 250 has target ID along with depth ID and you have a selection of coils to choose from, the TrackerIV has just the 4", 8" and 10" coil to choose from. But like I said you got a mean machine there. Take your time with it go slow and keep the coil low to the ground. Dig every hit you get and you will master it soon enough. Good luck and make sure you show us your killer finds.

Definately worth it for the price, I started with it, and found many wheats and an Indian Head. Hit playgrounds for clad to learn it, and dont pay attention to the meter :D

Hehe, yes the meter is bouncing like a little kid after trick or treat'n...took me 2 minutes until I decided to skip it and try to get a good feel for the tones instead :yes:

I feel pretty comfortable pinpointing with the detector after digging everything i all metal mode at first and now I'm liking the tone disc. mode where I dig most things to try figure out what the beeps are trying to tell me.

I feel hopeful regarding the detector since I do indeed find stuff, but it is always good to hear from more experienced users.

I hope to be able to post find after the weekend as I'm hitting an old fox farm that I was talking about in another thread.

Thanks for the input so far guys!

You've made a good choice if you're on a budget. I've had mine for about 3 weeks, have found 4 rings including this one that I just found yesterday:

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=36974

It will find you lots of stuff. I worried about it being a toy also...largely due to a website that tries to advertise it as if its a kids toy for some reason. Not! It's a great machine.

Here's a great way to setup for coinshooting when you first begin. Put it on dual tone mode. Set your sensitivity as high as you can without making the detector go crazy. Set a nickel on the ground and adjust the discrimination from left to right, until you just get a solid low tone (not a double tone) for the nickel. Now Qaurters dimes and pennys will sound off high, nickels low, and pull tabs and trash will dual tone.

This is a fun way to start learning your detector because it demonstrates how good the machine is. But once you've gotten your fill of clad, be sure to start digging lots of other signals too. This will help you learn the machine. And besides, gold usually comes up kinda like trash.

I bought one for my first a year ago. The Ace 250 is a nice step up. You might want to find a cheap pin pointer to help find those coins in the hole. You can get a cheap one for about $15 at harbor Freight if you can find one. I found a bunch of newer clad coins with my Tracker IV. It would find gold jewerly on a playground for sure. Just set the discrimination for iron only and lower. Dig those pull tabs and junk tin foil.

I have a BH Tracker 505 and like it seems to have good depth and the pinpointing is good and like you the price was right. Howard

almost racked up 10 hours with my bh iv and it just keeps goin! only been to maybe 3 little playgrounds and found about 6$ in clad so far. savin up for a nice little pinpointer.

I've racked up over 10 years on mine and it's still serving me well. I have the Radio Shack version of the Tracker IV. I really love the simplicity of it and it gets the job done...once you learn to listen to what it's trying to tell you. Like others have mentioned, a pinpointer is a major help.

One minor squawk I have about the Discovery 1000 aka Bounty Hunter Tracker IV is the hook-up for the two 9V transistor radio style batteries. They snap in pretty tightly and I broke the terminals on the first set early on. I brought it in to Radio Shack and the guy spliced a new one in, free of charge, while I waited.

Attachments

• 100_6050_email.jpg
    100_6050_email.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom