$1 Gold Liberty Head

stealer

Elite Member
Hey guys, no, I didn't find one but I have seen a deal on eBay with the seller being a "Top-Rated Seller" that is selling one for only $82 + $3 s/h. For those of you who don't know, they usually go for $200+ and the catch with this coin is that it has a solder on the reverse :mad: but other than that it's a clean coin. I was wondering if this is worth the deal. Thanks!

Don't know about this particular one,but being ex-jewelry,probably not a super deal.

There are also ALOT of fakes,so it may not even be real.

Caveat emptor.(buyer beware)

Don't know about this particular one,but being ex-jewelry,probably not a super deal.

There are also ALOT of fakes,so it may not even be real.

Caveat emptor.(buyer beware)
Thanks for the response mepot :)

read the whole desciption again
then again
and one more time to be safe
alot of fakes out there and just some nice gold plated ones too
hence the word..plated
just my opinion

I've bought a lot of gold liberty's over the years and one's with solder on them or holed can be bought for just over melt value. I paid $50 for the last one I bought a few weeks ago. I haven't seen many bargains on Ebay when it comes to gold coins. I sure wouldn't buy a coin for investment purposes off of Ebay unless it was encapsulated and graded. There are a lot of reproductions and counterfeits out there.

A few years ago I purchased a lot of U.S. $1 gold pieces on ebay for approx. $40 to $60 each. I resold them for about twice what I paid by setting the minimum high (someone almost always bites).

That price you quoted is low for today's high gold prices. A $1 piece with average detail and not holed is easily worth $150. I've seen them go for up to about $225.

Today even a holed U.S. (pre-20th century) $1 is easily worth $100.

ebay is crazy and the ups and downs in coins is even crazier. I've been selling coins and Spanish cobs on the bay almost since the beginning. What's really fun is when I see one of my coins posted on some forum as just dug :lol:

PhilB got one 3 weeks ago for $50!!!! Tell me I need to start watching ebay closer!

Badger

PhilB got one 3 weeks ago for $50!!!! Tell me I need to start watching ebay closer!

Badger

I didn't buy the gold liberty off Ebay...I get my coins from a large coin shop just a few miles down the road. I went in to check on prices because a friend was telling me about the great bargains on Ebay...holed $1 libertys for $75 and I told him I thought that was too high. I went to the coin shop and bought one for $50 for him. I have probably gotten a dozen over the last year some with a dinged rim or a solder mark on the back and $55 was the most I gave. A really pristine $1 liberty will bring$175 and up. I saw some that were several thousand dollars because of where they were minted.

I've been watching eBay closely for months now for good deals on rolls of indian heads, flying eagle cents, gold and silver coins. Not much besides a roll recently where I was outbid 50 cents for with 7 seconds left :mad: it was a roll with an 1889 Seated Dime on one end and an IH end on the other. Here's an 1851 Lib. Head w/ a HUGE HOLE that's going for $144

http://cgi.ebay.com/1851-GOLD-1-LIB...mQQptZCoins_US_Individual?hash=item5882098eca

I've been watching eBay closely for months now for good deals on rolls of indian heads, flying eagle cents, gold and silver coins. Not much besides a roll recently where I was outbid 50 cents for with 7 seconds left :mad: it was a roll with an 1889 Seated Dime on one end and an IH end on the other. Here's an 1851 Lib. Head w/ a HUGE HOLE that's going for $144

http://cgi.ebay.com/1851-GOLD-1-LIB...mQQptZCoins_US_Individual?hash=item5882098eca

Here's one I paid $50 for recently. They look about the same to me. Do you think the one on Ebay is worth over $90 more

49libobv.jpg

49librev.jpg

Back
Top Bottom