Newb question

jadocs

Forum Supporter
Took the blue Excal 1000 out this morning to run it through a better functions check. As some know I bought this "as is" off eBay because the seller could not test it due to not having a charger. The detector appears to be barely used. All cables are still supple and there is no dry rot anywhere.

Here are the results of my short test and following questions.

1. Ran perfect in disc mode. Sensitivity was set by raising and lowering my coil over clean sand until it falsed then I backed it off until it was quiet (about 1/4 from full sens). Threshold was easily adjustable to a faint buzz.

Question: when I put the coil in salt water it falsed a little, so I put sensitivity on "auto" and it became completely stable, just like it was on dry sand - normal?

Question: threshold is completely stable in disc, but when I switch to PP it sounds like it "pulses" a little. It doesn't change volume, it just kind of "pulses" in and out a little. Is the detector more susceptible to EMI in PP?...I didn't think to lower my sensitivity to check, but figured it shouldn't matter because the threshold was completely stable in disc - normal?

Thanks, I didn't have my Excal II with me to check and I can't do it at home due to all the EMI.

I did find a Felix penny, but I won't post it lol.

No.... in PP u hear a raise and fall in threshold to minerals. But there isnt a recovery like in disc.

It may.... depends on sensitivity. It will false with coil flipping too until it catches GB. Even sand in the coil when water is added.

I did find a Felix penny, but I won't post it lol.
From my recent use it sounds to me like yours is working the way it should. However, I'm very disappointed in your lack of respect for Felix pennies. :ehh:

No.... in PP u hear a raise and fall in threshold to minerals. But there isnt a recovery like in disc.

It may.... depends on sensitivity. It will false with coil flipping too until it catches GB. Even sand in the coil when water is added.

It was kind of like a "rough idle" (subtle) so to speak with my coil in the air. I'm almost thinking it is EMI because there are houses and restaurants not 100 yards from where I was on the beach....but then again the threshold tone & recovery was rock steady in disc so I don't know.

From my recent use it sounds to me like yours is working the way it should. However, I'm very disappointed in your lack of respect for Felix pennies. :ehh:

Ha ha thanks Felix

I find EMI affects PP very rarely compared to disc. You may be running your threshold high..... which is find in PP mode..... less in disc. You have to get used to it.... takes a bit... but once you get the hang of it you ignore most everything but a target. Also, you might find someone in your area who has an Xcal and compare. Otherwise i know people who have hunted with a broken machine and never even knew it wasnt right.:lol: YOu dont know what you dont know.

Dew

I find EMI affects PP very rarely compared to disc. You may be running your threshold high..... which is find in PP mode..... less in disc. You have to get used to it.... takes a bit... but once you get the hang of it you ignore most everything but a target. Also, you might find someone in your area who has an Xcal and compare. Otherwise i know people who have hunted with a broken machine and never even knew it wasnt right.:lol: YOu dont know what you dont know.

Dew

Thanks Dew,

I checked it against my Excal II. I found if I turned my threshold up to where I can here it in PP mode (Excal II), it will also "pulse" a little bit (in my house).

Went for another hunt this morning and the blue 1000 ran great. No problem in disc or locating a target in PP mode. When running threshold in disc, I adjust it to where it is a very faint buzz (mosquito level). When I switch to PP, instead of the threshold buzz disappearing it remains at the same level as it was in disc and pulses a little bit (not completely steady as it was in disc). I could turn the threshold down to where the threshold disappears in PP and therefore the "pulse", but is that normal? Would I loose depth in PP mode by doing that? or is that a function of the 1000 being super sensitive (by requiring further adjustment of threshold)?

It seems to me that the 1000 is much more sensitive than the Excal II (especially running them in the house with EMI).

8c0b21f1ef642cf4ffc94ceae7f3056f.jpg

Nice looking machine congrats on your penny it seems like every sight needs to have the sens adjusted but I am learning in fresh water I can turn it way up

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Tapatalk

Nice looking machine congrats on your penny it seems like every sight needs to have the sens adjusted but I am learning in fresh water I can turn it way up

Thanks Tlane, yep today on a this beach I could only have my sensitivity set to about 1/2 from full. I dug several coins (clad) over a foot deep today.

Thanks Tlane, yep today on a this beach I could only have my sensitivity set to about 1/2 from full. I dug several coins (clad) over a foot deep today.
Yep lots to learn I take a friend with me sometimes and let him use my duel field can't let him get within 100 feet or so because of the emf excal goes crazy

In PP mode.......put it just out of AUTO sensitivity. When you reverse disc checking a target..... she is going to chatter a lot, you get used to that, but a target is easy to recognize even in that chatter. There will be times you have to remove some sand .... at that point you will get the NULL on iron or a target tone.

That buzz is normal.... its the threshold for PP. It will raise.. kind of a ZIP over a target. Wont take long for you to ignore the NORMAL raise and lowering of the threshold from a target. Advantage is .... you are using more sensitivity and no recovery over NULLS or other targets you get in disc. That means you can pick up targets closer to each other.

I set my threshold in disc...... THEN switch over to PP. I also set mine a little higher in PP than disc. In disc you NEED that lower threshold for targets weak targets to break the threshold and give a tone to the speakers. Better headphones ..... the speaker respond to weaker targets.

Back
Top Bottom