Silver Dollar Cache

casroc2003

Has anyone ever found a cache of silver dollars? I'm wondering how they would read on the VDI screen? I know that on a pocket spill of say quarters my whites xlt shows one quarter until you've dug them all. How would say 10 to 20 silver dollars read? Would it show overload or do the same as the quarters? Or should I just bury a cache of my own to find out?

I saw a youtube video from a guy in the south, found quite a few. But they were in a creek or river.

casroc2003: Bear in mind that it would also depend on what they were buried in. Like if they were buried in a steel/iron tobacco tin, or soup can type object, then that would skew the otherwise high conductive reading of silver.

Also depends on how close to the surface the object is. Because, sure, if it's 100 silver dollars in a glass container just inches below the surface, then perhaps you'd get an over-load signal. And then you'd mumble to yourself: " durned those hubcaps" and pass up the junk signal! haha ;)

Well checked the silver dollars I hadand on my whites xlt one 1926 morgan read in at +92 buried at 8 inches. ( loose garden soil). 16 Morgan's buried at the same 8 inches in a pint Mason jar with the steel band and lid, read the same... +92. I realize that an actual cache that has been there for a while would be a bit different but this kind of gives me some where to start. I chose the pint jar because I feel that that would be a likely container for a "poorer, average" person in the 30's. And 8 inches while out of site, is easily retrieved.

Well checked the silver dollars I hadand on my whites xlt one 1926 morgan read in at +92 buried at 8 inches. ( loose garden soil). 16 Morgan's buried at the same 8 inches in a pint Mason jar with the steel band and lid, read the same... +92. I realize that an actual cache that has been there for a while would be a bit different but this kind of gives me some where to start. I chose the pint jar because I feel that that would be a likely container for a "poorer, average" person in the 30's. And 8 inches while out of site, is easily retrieved.

No such thing as a 1926 Morgan. Assume you meant peace dollar? Thats' freaking insane to find one, let alone 16.

You're right, it is the peace dollar, not sure what I was thinking. Unfortunately I didn't find those, I bought them about 10 years ago at a auction, spent to much on them but I wanted them at the time. I have heard about a small cache in my area and was wondering what I might expect to see on the VDI.

most e-trac users wouldn't find a cache like that ... why you might ask??

because it would sound like junk .

because one or two silver dollar coins would ring out well but after you place 4 or more silver dollars stacked up the machine will discriminate them out unless your running an open screen. the programming library can't find a suitable selection for such a target so it rejects it .

because one or two silver dollar coins would ring out well but after you place 4 or more silver dollars stacked up the machine will discriminate them out unless your running an open screen. the programming library can't find a suitable selection for such a target so it rejects it .

WRONG!!! I have done this very test and they register just fine.

Agreed that the Etrac would have trouble finding coins in a Mason jar with a metal lid, because it would NULL out:mad:

I found a cache of 480 silver coins. none were silver dollars, but 62 were half dollars and 280 were quarters. It was giving me a half dollar to silver dollar VDI reading, but it was very loud and even though it was 2 1/2 feet down, you could swing the coil two feet above the ground and still get the signal. I imagine it would be the same for silver dollars considering it's all just one big silver ball at that point. Hope this helps.

Here is my video link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkAs5UkQ8zA

I found a cache of 480 silver coins. none were silver dollars, but 62 were half dollars and 280 were quarters. It was giving me a half dollar to silver dollar VDI reading, but it was very loud and even though it was 2 1/2 feet down, you could swing the coil two feet above the ground and still get the signal. I imagine it would be the same for silver dollars considering it's all just one big silver ball at that point. Hope this helps.

Here is my video link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkAs5UkQ8zA

Seen that and you have a 1 year anniversary coming up. What made you dig that overload signal anyways and what machine was u using?

Back
Top Bottom