I was in the right area

georgeinsc

Elite Member
Was in eastern Alabama for three days and got permission to detect a piece of property. Unfortunately the heat and humidity got to me and I had to seek shelter in the A/C

Land owner pointed out an area that he said an old house had stood a long time ago.

I did not locate the exact area where the house stood. but I did find one piece that tells me that I was close.

Found the name tag off of a Humphrey Radientfire No 326. Which I believe was a gas fireplace insert. Manufacturer was General Gas Light Company from Kalamazoo Michigan. Company was founded in 1900.

I was close but no cigar this time.

Attachments

• DSC00912.JPG
    DSC00912.JPG
    160.5 KB · Views: 256
That's how old house site hunting seems to go. It's one of those things you probably need extended time and multiple trips to really do right.

My grandpa (b. 1897) inherited his farm from an uncle. The original house that was on the place was atop a hill. In the 1930s Grandpa tore down the old house and rebuilt it in a 2nd site on the land (160 acres) After some years there, he moved it up to site #3 where it stood until it was sold off and moved in the 1970s.

All I've found to date at the original site is some broken ceramic pieces and some plow teeth. I've detected site #3 and found nada there but am planning to go back when it cools down this fall as I have open permission to be on the place.

Maybe one day I'll get lucky and scare up an IH or something up there. A friend of mine now lives at site #2 and has for some years since her dad bought the land from my Grandma after Grandpa passed. I'd love to detect that site also but don't really want to put my friend out since it's her home now. Incidentally, at site 2 there was also an old school where my Grandma was a teacher; the only thing left of that is an old cellar. 50 years ago we used to go investigate that cellar and I pulled a neat old Black Cat ink bottle still in a box out of there. It's long since been lost but it was a cool/creepy place with the world's largest pack rat nest inside.

Dang, sorry to ramble! Once in a while I just get going and can't seem to stop! :blush2:

Kool save, I agree being able to date or read some history on a find is fun!

Back
Top Bottom