• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Learning and improving

Been awhile since I've upgraded this post. Still getting out when I find the time. I have found quite a few different things A nice Gerber knife, lots of dog tags, A small gold ring, a really nice silver ring at the beach. Lots of clad probably 65 dollars worth or so. It's hot out so I've started getting in the water and thats where I found the silver ring.I didn't get to spend a lot of time there so plan to go back soon as I get a chance. they do a lot of floating and canoeing around here so plan to get out with the Kayak and hit some of the shallows as close as I can get to some of the places where they tend to tip the canoes over should be some good stuff in the water and at least it won't be so hot and no bugs lol.

Attachments

• IMG_6033.jpg
    IMG_6033.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 355
It's been fun reading your adventures into this hobby. And sounds like the campground is a great place to hunt. Keep sharing your finds.

One suggestion, if you haven't already you should start a spreadsheet and list your hunts and finds, keep a count of each denomination of coins going, that way you can see the total of each and watch your dollar count as it grows.

Since it's been so hot out lately with very little rain I haven't been able to do much dirt detecting. But that hasn't stopped my search for treasure lol. One of the places that I frequent here is a small manmade sand beach on one of our lakes here. I've found moderate amounts of clad over the winter and have ventured deeper and deeper into the water. I went out today as far as I could manage ,about chest deep mostly. I enjoy water hunting as I've always like being in the water. I hit a good clear tone in about 4-5 ft of water that showed to be about 6-8" deep. I started not to mess with it as I knew it would be hard to scoop out with just my mask and snorkel and no weight to help keep me under the water but I just couldn't walk away from that good of a tone . Every pass sounded like dig me dig me LOL so finally I did . It took me a little while to get down to nearly a foot when up came a nice shiny recovery.
https://metaldetectingforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=417798&stc=1&d=1529375907

I'm not sure what its made of as there are no markings but it's a quality piece thats heavy for it size and non magnetic. Assuming stainless .But a very nice quality.
Found a couple small ear rings (costume) and a couple quarters, and a nickel all clad. beginning to think I'll never find a silver coin lol. One thing that I did do today was since there were less tones I went after everything and I mean everything above a 30 on the ATP. Even a few under that resulted in a few bobbie pins and hair clips lol.Enough of that haha. When it got a bit later in the morning and people started to show up I packed it in. I'll go back in a few days after I come up with a little bit of weight and possibly modify my sand scoop with a longer handle. Everything is a learning curve.

Attachments

• IMG_6036.jpg
    IMG_6036.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 308
you are on the right track. the way i look at it, if i can find clad and modern bullets while learning, then once you get better at research and permissions you will be putting better targets under your coil and you will find those.

I agree . The real trick to metal detecting is positioning yourself in the right place. Finding places where you will find clad is fairly easy. Looking for jewelry? Probably beaches and water offer the highest probability of success. I would think every inch of Virginia would be good for Civil war stuff lol. One thing I've learned is just because there may be an old home place or somewhere with history doesn't mean you'll find anything there. The older the place the higher the probability you'll be dealing with a lot more rusty trash instead of pull tabs at the park. Everything seems to come with the price to play. It's all good though and when you can't physically be out swinging the coil you can spend time looking and researching your next prospective spot. Or looking for your new accessory on amazon or from supporting vendors.LOL Always stuff to keep you busy.

Back
Top Bottom