Rivers and streams?

fred sanford

Elite Member
Are rivers and streams considered public property? I thought about Md-ing in some when it gets warmer? I know that land around them might be private property, but I heard that rivers and streams aren't . I don't know if this true. I have been looking at swimming holes and areas where ton's of canoe riders hang. I think I might be on to something. Has anybody had any luck at this?

ya thats mostly what i do- youll find a lot of clad dont know the legality of it all but im pretty sure its ok, i go like 3 times a week on the rivers at good beachy area and swimming holes and find some cool stuff--they are definitly worth it if you find a "hot-spot" where alot of people hang out in the summer, but the down side is that alot of people drink at the river while swimming and youll havr to deal with the pulltabs and caps

It is easy to check you local laws. I just ask the police, it out of town I call the DOE. Most rivers and streams are ok... however, if the stream runs through private property, there may be an issue. RickO

Good question I found a swimming area that was popular back in the 1900's that I want to hit this summer it is next to a park so figured I would ask the police and the park people first

Check a fishing reg manual

That will vary from State to State. Here in Michigan if it is classified as a "Navigable Water Way" it is open to public. You can wade the water BUT the law has the authority to cite you for recreational trespass if you walk the stream/river's shore along private property. So the best way to find out is grab a fishing regulation publication and see what is says.

I find some really good coin spills nearby creeks and rivers. People must throw their pants and jackets off and jump in, causing the clad spills. I never had a problem metal detecting near or in a stream. Usually the worst thing is if you accidently get onto a canal and a Ranger shows up. Which isn't so bad as they just tell you to leave and ask what you have found and to give it up. Lucky for me I had nothing the time I got asked at the Delaware once. Then of course I was by the Rahway creek or river this past week and a smarty pants pointed out I would find nothing. Pull a cool ornament from an antique piece of furniture, which was made out of brass while he was standing there and explained it wasnt worth pulling the "merc" dime outta my pocket to show him. Figured anyone who starts a conversation with "you won't find anything there pal" is a bit of a pain in the V.D.I...........:lol:

As mentioned............It's a state law..........And the laws vary widely. Some states waterways are private property, and some are not. But even if the waterways are not private property.....Be Careful!........Some land owners are not even aware their waterways are public, and might be trigger happy!

Back
Top Bottom