How many wear a vest and what do you carry in it?

Yooper Rich

I always in the past wore a mesh or breathable fishing vest and packed it with extra items to carry. Always liked it better than carrying a pack. Since just getting back into MDing I am looking for a couple of new ones. Any suggestions? What do you carry in them? I carried a small first aid kit, small flashlight, toothbrush, a snack or two, small spray bottle, notepad and pencil.

Last edited:
I leave all that stuff in the car since I am rarely more than half a mile from the car. I don't like carrying extra stuff. I do when at the beach carry a Camelbak of ice water. The heat and humidity in the south tends to cause dehydration if one is not careful BTDT more than once.

I've got a pretty big belly. I stuffed it all into a tactical vest once. I couldn't bend over well. :laughing::no:
After learning how to open it up to a larger size, I was ok but there was too many pockets. I even eliminated some as most were just Velcro held. I sometimes had trouble finding which pocket some tool or whatever I put in it. Now I keep things very simple. Just a Garretts camo bag slungvover my shoulder with an extended strap.
Lesche hand digger, pinpointer and eye loop on a retractable string. If I ever try a vest again I'd go with a simple lightweight style with a few pockets. Maybe a mesh.
A lot of us go as light as possible after dirt fishing a few years.

I have a belt for Lesche digger, pin pointer and finds bag.

Given those would be the more difficult things to carry in a fly fishing vest, I think when it comes down to the rest, its personal preference.

I carry a few of those items in a small pouch on my tool belt, and the rest stay in the car until needed...If I needed to carry the extra, I'd probably carry a small rucksack, and add things like lunch and a drink ect..

I am working on my vest. I am almost done. I just have to figure out a way to teather my MD and a way to not carry a scoop in my hands.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

Im a slow hunter, sometimes I carry a 3 gal HD plastic pail with all my hand tools, carry my shoval and detector, people think im a olumber some times but im not. plus all my trash . other times just a vest/digger/PP/water and snacks.

I wear a bullet proof vest filled with 28lbs of lead so I can stay on the bottom..:lol:

<°)))>{

I always in the past wore a mesh or breathable fishing vest and packed it with extra items to carry. Always liked it better than carrying a pack. Since just getting back into MDing I am looking for a couple of new ones. Any suggestions? What do you carry in them? I carried a small first aid kit, small flashlight, toothbrush, a snack or two, small spray bottle, notepad and pencil.

Man, I thought I was the only one who brushes my teeth when I'm MDing.

I wear a hot weather skeet vest. the mesh back helps. The large shot shell pockets low in the front use as trash and finds pockets. This puts the load on my shoulders instead of my old back.

Following along. I just got back into detecting. I'm thinking I would rather wear a vest that holds my Pinpointer and my Lesche and a pouch for trash and a pouch for finds. Oh and a water bottle would be good.

I'm looking into what's out there. If anyone has a rig setup lets see pics.

Thanks!!

I don't wear a vest but cargo pants. It's amazing how much stuff you can fit in them and still be able to move around comfortably :lol:

Usually I'll have my phone, note pad, pen/pencil, keys, two small pouches for old coins (silvers and coppers), wallet, earphones and pocket knife (I might be missing something on this list :lol:) on me.

This is what I am putting together.
I got a hidden folding shovel under my trash bag. GPS and a bottle water holder. I will be adding a pouch for my ham radio. I want to hide a camcorder somewhere.
b5448cfa63092e4a8ddc036bf794cf66.jpg

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

Well I ordered some stuff off of Amazon. Some pieces already arrived. Some will not be here for a bit. Anyway I once I get it all in I'll post pics and thoughts.

OK the vest and another pouch showed up today. I will spend the next few days trying to get it setup. Will post pics as soon as I have a concept figured out.

Back
Top Bottom